What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading?

Post by rosm »

Harry Potter The order of the phoenix

It's been years since I last read a Harry Potter book, but after I leant my niece part 4, she made me read part 5.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

A nice book on the works of artist T. S. Lowry. Visited the exhibition on Saturday, very good indeed.

http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-br ... odern-life
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Edgar Savisaar - Tõde Eestist/ Truth About Estonia.
While in no way bunch of saint know-it-alls, Estonia's Centrist Party is the only huge party in Estonia that I have much respect for. I am not following them blindly, if you were wondering. I've been living here for almost 19 years, after moving from Caucasus, and have observed a lot, so I have some strong opinions. But I better stop now before I start ranting for a gazillion of pages :lol: .
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Neil Young - Waging Heavy Peace

I cannot claim to be one of Young's biggest fans. Something about this book put me off him further. Whilst I wasn't expecting a blow by blow account of Crazy Horse recording sessions, the book seems fairly rambling and disjointed. Something tells me Young is ever so slightly socially inept, in a manner way out with his control. For example, he writes more about the car he drove to the hospital upon visiting his newborn child for the first time than he tells us of his newborn child. He even admits at times that he was always the last to figure out if something was wrong with anybody around him. Close friends seem to spiral off into addiction or depression and yet he doesn't twig at all until the bitter end. odd guy, and often very self-absorbed. I guess he's the success story of the baby boomer hippy that made it, and now he has free reign to bore us with the details of his model railway collection, his beyond pretentious war against lossy digital music formats and his even more sanctimonious attempts at running an old gas guzzler car off an electric (or was it biofuel?) motor. Young can do no wrong in each instance, regardless of whether anybody around him gets it or not. His, frankly bizarre and often shit, attempts at film making (anybody ever actually watch Journey Through the Past?) are treated as though he was groundbreaking, and it is the fault of the viewer for not 'getting' the inner meaning. Young is never antagonistic, but the book is a boring exercise in naval-gazing. Of you enjoy reading "My buddy David and I drove my 1956 Lincoln up to Laurel Canyon and snorted a lot of coke in a lay-by whilst my then wife gave birth to our second son" for 500+ pages then be my guest. Young never admits any real wrong-doing and seems to lack a certain level of human engagement that would have made the book far more interesting for me personally.

Tony Iommi - Iron Man

This book reads like the transcription for one long muddled interview with Tony. Surprisingly, Iommi is often self-deprecating and humble. It appears he was lumped with the job of writing most of Sabbath's music when the band went through tough spells, and you do get the feeling that Ozzy Osbourn and Bill Ward, in particular, were never pulling their weight within the band. Iommi never states this, but it seems that Black Sabbath pulled by on the strength of his compositions and Geezer Butler's lyrics. Sabbath seem to have quite good fortune overall, from starting out as a blues band broadly similar to early Jethro Tull and Cream et al in outlook.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

Biopolitics by Michel Foucault (I´m always brilliant at reading books). :)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

thefinalcut wrote:Biopolitics by Michel Foucault (I´m always brilliant at reading books). :)
I read a lot of Michel Foucault back in the late 20th century, but not that one.

Currently, I have just begun Future Shock by Alvin Toffler (liberated from the family book shelf back in 1989, have moved it to countless new apartments, and just started reading it two days ago).
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson. Its quite amusing and gripping.
Doctor Robert
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Doctor Robert »

Dipping into Random Precision .
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Keith Jordan wrote:The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry by Jon Ronson. Its quite amusing and gripping.
Are you now confirmed psychopath?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

rememberaday wrote:Are you now confirmed psychopath?
I have most of the symptoms. :shock:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I've just got Ozzy's autobiography I Am Ozzy. Hilarious from page 1! 8)
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Ron Geesin's Flaming Cow...I dunno. Not sure I like the way Ron rambles on.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

The Collins Paperback Dictionary, to look up what a Bohemian is
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

What does it say under 'tactic free'?
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

free of tactics... (or something)