Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

oldhippy wrote:It was either on Ceefax or Teletext that someone wrote in saying that one of the new episodes was a rip- off from an early one way back in the 60?s. Using the same names for the monsters (laugh) and the plot. As I?m not a big fan I don?t know if this is true. I?m sure someone will put me right on this.
Yep, its true, the first episode of the new series, ''Rose'', did bear a few similarities with Jon Pertwees first story ''Spearhead From Space''. Its the same baddies - the Autons controlled by the Nestene Conciousness, one of the most famous scenes from this story (and era of Who) is the mannequins smashing thru the shop window which was replicated in Rose and of course it was the first story for a new Dr.

Expect the return of more baddies in 3 weeks from saturday, that will be the first of 3 Dalek episodes in the series. This weeks looks like it could be an improvement given the BBC are pretty good at doing historicals and Simon Callow as Charles Dickens alone has got to be worth tuning in for!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Only 4 more hours and the Daleks are back on our screens! will anyone here be watching tonight? looks like Non-Entity Wrestling is going to get another drubbing!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Only 4 more hours and the Daleks are back on our screens! will anyone here be watching tonight? looks like Non-Entity Wrestling is going to get another drubbing!
I'll be watching Stu :D .Gonna put a tape in as well just in case anyone has the stupid idea of calling round or ringing just as it starts, as usually seems to happen.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

It's not written by that dreadfully overrated RTD hack, thankfully. The only good episodes so far have been the first one, which wasn't his idea, and the Victorian one, which was written by one of the blokes from The League of Gentlemen. Doctor Who should be about escape, not going home to see mum and have a cup of tea. The one with the farting aliens was dreadful, and once again he killed off the only half decent character - the pig boy - within seconds of introducing him. The sooner that boring buffoon's bubble bursts at the BBC the better.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. And I just won "The Mind Robbers" VHS on eBay for ?1.99. Not a bad day for Doctor Who.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Norbert Wilkins wrote:Anyway, I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. And I just won "The Mind Robbers" VHS on eBay for ?1.99. Not a bad day for Doctor Who.
You're in for a treat there, thats one of Troughtons finest (not that theres a lot of opportunity to watch much Troughton), brilliantly surreal, the legendary shot of Wendy Padbury clinging to the TARDIS console and the cover up for Fraser Hines' holiday leave is genius!

Glad to see you'll be watching too Rob, whos that in your avatar, I thought it was Ming the Merciless at first.
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Glad to see you'll be watching too Rob, whos that in your avatar, I thought it was Ming the Merciless at first.
Well hopefully its supposed to be Dr Strange :). With Floyd referring to the character I decided to find out who he was, i'm assuming this is the self same one.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Stephen wrote:Well hopefully its supposed to be Dr Strange :).

Ahh, it could be, I dont like him much, hes always changing sides :wink: actually, Im useless with comic book characters so I couldnt say either way, but, give me cheap old sci-fi and im yer man! got the DVD of the BBC Day Of The Triffids series through today, its still a bit on the creepy side though the Triffids do look a bit daft now, all good fun tho.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Well, what did everyone think? I loved it! best scene has to be when the Dalek was in the air and electricuted everyone, it just looked so cool, I punched the air and shouted ''YES!'', Im sad like that :D only a few more weeks and theres a Dalek 2 parter, thats gonna rock! oh, and cyberman head action! shall I show my really sad credentials and say that its a replica of the ones used in the Troughton story ''The Invasion'' :D the Cybermen are back next year too!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Stephen wrote:
Gonna put a tape in as well just in case anyone has the stupid idea of calling round or ringing just as it starts, as usually seems to happen.
Yep, it happened. Just as it started the phone rang :lol: ( I was pleased to hear from her though :D ).

I enjoyed it as well Stu, more like the old days with its mayhem, death and destruction.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I want a Dalek! :D
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

my breakfast. wrote:Image

Me too :lol:

Enjoyed it apart from missing the first ten minutes combined with mrs kelv nagging at me through the remainder :roll:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Big Kelv wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Image

Me too :lol:

Enjoyed it apart from missing the first ten minutes combined with mrs kelv nagging at me through the remainder :roll:
Did you see the bit where the guy was faced with it, and he said "Oh what are you going to do??? plundger me to death..." and the thing just sucked onto his face!!! Classic! :D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Big Kelv wrote: Enjoyed it apart from missing the first ten minutes combined with mrs kelv nagging at me through the remainder :roll:
If you have BBC3 theres a repeat tonight at 7pm.

Good to see positive responses to the episode, its easily the best of the series so far. I've just had a look at the Dr Who forum Im a member of and theres already 5474 posts in the section for the Dalek episode :shock:
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Big Kelv wrote: Enjoyed it apart from missing the first ten minutes combined with mrs kelv nagging at me through the remainder :roll:
If you have BBC3 theres a repeat tonight at 7pm.

Good to see positive responses to the episode, its easily the best of the series so far. I've just had a look at the Dr Who forum Im a member of and theres already 5474 posts in the section for the Dalek episode :shock:
Seen the repeat now (and wife free!) - classic stuff cheers mate :lol:

Hopefully the BBC will release this series on DVD (I've only seen three episodes now :( )
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Big Kelv wrote:Hopefully the BBC will release this series on DVD (I've only seen three episodes now :( )
It will be coming out on DVD, altho the BBC are doing something a little sneaky, Initially there will be 4 DVD releases with 3 different episodes from the series on each and thats it, but, in November a box set will be released of the complete series with lots of bonus material so if you are thinking about buying it on DVD it would be best to wait, and potentially cheaper too!