Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
HACKS
Axe
Axe

Post by HACKS »

i love the daleks :)
bring on the cybermen
Big Kelv
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Big Kelv »

Thanks for the heads-up simpledumbpilot !

If I can wait for the PULSE DVD, I can wait for the Dr Who box set.

:wink:
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

An outstanding episode. That dalek was menacing. My favourite moment was when it wiped out the troops at both ends of the corridor, with the top-down shot of its gun swinging one way, eye swinging the other.

I loved the paranoid set-up too, with the secret underground base and the aquisitive boss who couldn't care less about the welfare of his staff.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Anyone see this weeks episode? A bit of a disapointment but 'Dalek' wasnt going to be an easy act to follow, I think Im going to need to watch it again before making my mind up but first impressions werent good.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Linear storytelling again: Oh look, a strange future world filled with strange future-type technological advances, but something's wrong. Oh, look a big monster. Okay, fixed everything. Bye.

And I don't see the point in having the guy tag along at the end of the dalek episode, only to be rejected at the end of this one. As bad as killing off characters within seconds of introducing them.

Not excellent. But Simon Pegg and Tamsin Greig were both good value for money and turned in highly enjoyable performances.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

If any bloke should tag along it's Rose's original boyfriend - he had a good comic raport with The Doctor.

Rose is beginning to annoy me - I like her to start with but she seems to be a bit too smug.

Having said that I'm really enjoying the new series
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

I've spent most of the early part of this evening playing The Last Dalek game at http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/games/index.shtml. You get to be a dalek. It's quite a laugh, although if you re-enter a room everything you killed/destroyed comes back.

Father's Day was actually quite a tense episode, I thought, once you got over the initial sense of "Oh no! Not another soap opera episode." Entertaining time paradox (I always like those), excellent characterisation, entertaining monsters and, for once, a palpable sense of dread. I liked the idea that the only surviving remnants of humanity anywhere in the galaxy were trapped inside the church. Shades of the short stories of Steven King there, perhaps. I also liked the way Rose's dad cottoned on that he'd have to top himself to save everyone. And the reality shift at the end was nice too. The only other thing I can think of that ends with reality changed forever in that subtle way is the first Back To The Future movie, where the family starts the film as trailer trash and ends it as affluent suburbanites.

And, surprise surprise, it wasn't the product of that incapable and talentless non-scribe who shall henceforth be referred to as the ReTarD. Strange how all the good episodes aren't written by him.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Norbert Wilkins wrote:And, surprise surprise, it wasn't the product of that incapable and talentless non-scribe who shall henceforth be referred to as the ReTarD. Strange how all the good episodes aren't written by him.
I was thinking the same thing, the RTD ones certainly seem to be the weak stories, he has a great team of writers on board for this series, I just wish he'd let them do more, cant help thinking hes using this as a vehicle for his ego at times. The only RTD episode so far that Ive really cared for was the first one and then it seemed most of the best bits were lifted from previous stories.

As for Fathers Day, I too am a fan of the time paradox stories so this had me drawn in from the start, it wasnt perfect but it certainly was good, theres still a bunch of things that dont make sense in it but if they did it wouldnt be Dr Who, I pretty much agree with your evaluation of it Norbert. Next weeks looks a good 'un, I do like the historical stories, lets hope they dont make the same mistake as they did with the last 2 parter cliffhanger, it totally defeated the object of it by following it with a ''next time on Dr Who'' sequence, immediately after showing everyone in jeopardy they showed you everyone alive and well, Im guessing it will happen again tho.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

That BBC Dalek game is sooo addictive.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

OK who saw it then? Pretty good spooky episode and they did the right thing with the ''next time on Dr Who'' bit this time. The Rose / Captain Jack storyline was a little iffy but could be fun. Some nice similarities with the Wall, particularly the gas masks fusing with faces like the ''frightened ones'' during Goodbye Blue Sky. Richard Wilson seemed a bit wasted in his role but perhaps that will develope further next week, was a bit hard not to think of him as Victor Meldrew tho, all in all a good episode, looking forward to next week!
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

I agree totally - reminded me of the cartoon sequence in the Wall.

Scariest episode that i can remember
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Just had a nice lounge around in bed watching this again, liked it even more! If you missed this last night its repeated on BBC3 at 7 tonight and is worth seeing, particulalrly as its part 2 next week so it would be handy to know whats going on. Eccleston reminds me of William Hartnell's Dr in this one and the atmosphere is similar to some mid-Tom Baker era stories which is a winning combination in my book!

Edit: Haha, just had another Floyd similarity pointed out. Floyd had a pig flying over London, in this episode we see Billie Piper flying over London, make of that what you will :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

That episode was too scary.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

:cry:
I missed it!

Didn't get back home in time after the FA Cup Final (good game btw), then went and got drunk on Sunday and forgot to watch the BBC Three repeat.

Damn damn damn damn damn ](*,)
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Yeeessss?

lol