Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Doctor Who

Post by olzen »

Massed Gadgets wrote:I didn't mind the design of the new Daleks so much as the bright colours. Seems like a very un-Dalek thing to do, to me. In a society built around conformity and utility, what are they doing dressing themselves up in pretty, individualistic colours? Not to even mention that the colours look like crap.
I liked the colours, actually. They reminded me of the two Dalek-films, and not in a bad way. I would have preferred a return to something closer to the their design from the original show, but either way, I'm happy to see a new design rather than the rather blinged-up RTD-Daleks. As far as I know, back in the day, the BBC actually used a few of the Dalek props of the films in the series itself, meaning that this is not the first time the Daleks have had different colours. Just the first time we've been able to see it! :P

Also, I was thrilled that the five new Daleks actually managed to escape! Davies would've killed them off instantly, maybe make one of them do an emergency temporal shift. Finally, the Daleks are an ongoing threat towards the universe again, rather than the obligatory enemies that just pop up at the end of a season and are killed off till next time.
mia
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mia »

olzen wrote:Also, I was thrilled that the five new Daleks actually managed to escape! Davies would've killed them off instantly, maybe make one of them do an emergency temporal shift. Finally, the Daleks are an ongoing threat towards the universe again, rather than the obligatory enemies that just pop up at the end of a season and are killed off till next time.
They survived for now. (This is not a spoiler, this is pure speculation based on nothing but my own imagination. And my hopes and dreams.) I'm hoping for another Dalek war, where the Doctor (and possibly, probably UNIT) are forced to help out thousands of tiny, metallic, scary old Daleks as they attempt to eradicate the new, colourful, rubbery child friendly iDaleks.

I wouldn't have minded the colours so much if they had stuck to say just black, red and blue. I would still loathe the design, but they'd just.. I dunno. Be more acceptable. Look less like teletubbies. Whatever.
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

I'm actually hoping we won't see another Russell T Davies-style Dalek-battle. Let's have a more original season closer than "old archenemy returns, nearly wins and is blown to smithereens". I do think the Master was brilliant, as was Davros, but it still seemed quite repetive at the end of the day.

As for the Daleks, I wouldn't really worry. I think these five are unique. Mind you, they even have titles. If you look at the colours as a way to distinguish these more important Daleks from each other in the hierarchy, it works, I think. Here's hoping they'll be using silver and blue for the lesser Daleks!

Hmm... "The Colour of the Daleks". There's a great name for an episode :lol:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

The 'individual Dalek' isn't a new idea. They existed in the Russell T. Davies era (the Cult or Skaro, for example) and in the classic series (Remembrance of the Daleks and the Evil of the Daleks, among others, have subversive and 'supreme' Daleks). Their uniformity is one of their defining characteristics in those 'Dalek army vs. the Doctor' style episodes, but it isn't an infallible and unchanging characteristic. I don't really care about the new design; I just hope we don't get yet another bombastic and anticlimatic finale centered around the Daleks threatening to destroy Earth.

If nothing else, the new colour design is a dream-come-true for toy manufacturers.
MY RRRRS
Knife
Knife

Post by MY RRRRS »

we have had the Master, the Daleks, the Cybermen, and even the Timelords, so who does that leave that would be a credible threat?

olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

The Ice Warriors? More Sontarans? Cybermen - the Mondasian ones? Or maybe a whole new enemy altogether that won't be killed off immediately? I'm hoping for the latter. Mind you, it was Moffat who gave us the Vashta Nerada and the Weeping Angels.

Speaking of Weeping Angels, I'm seriously looking forward to the next episode! Just watched the "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead"-two parter to prepare myself for River Song's "return".
MY RRRRS
Knife
Knife

Post by MY RRRRS »

i just watched eps 2 and 3 and i am pleased to see that there is a crack in every end.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

i notice Amy Pond is already brilliant by the third episode (according to the doctor anyway)- i am finding her ease in each episode a little unbelievable. i would have liked to see a bit more shock and horror in her performance so far.

i think Matt's doctor ought to have been more distressed in the 2nd episode when presented with the alternatives he was too.
i don't think Karen's character Amy would have been capable of doing what she did.

hopefully i have not given too much away to those of you who have not seen it yet.

I'm hoping for a bit more depth from the characters as the season develops. I'm finding the performances a bit cartoon like so far.

Ian McNeice was terrible as Churchill he was really just playing a caricature of Churchill, and just don't get me started on the spitfires, and

"woould you like a cup of tea - one exterminate or two?"
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Time of Angels is thee shit. The two-part format helped the director to overcome all of the pacing issues seen in the previous few episodes, and it was great to see the Weeping Angels being re-introduced as an altogether different threat to the ones from Blink. I'm also glad to see River Song in the series again.

I liked it more than Blink, and if the second part maintains the same level of brilliance, this will be the best two-parter of the new series by quite a distance.

Also, if you were watching it on BBC1 and were as annoyed as me about seeing an 'Over the Rainbow' advert superimposed during the finale of the episode, send a complaint to the BBC. It only takes a moment and they deserve to be criticised for that distracting piece of stupidity.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Agreed! This is the highlight of the series so far and it can only get better! It's thinks like this that make me think they can make a Doctor Who film? See, my worry is, if they make "Doctor Who-The Movie" (proper Movie, not McGann TV Movie?) they'd more or less retell the whole story and kill the mystery of the "Who?" question.
However if the film was set around a story like that? It would be pretty successful leaving us to argue about the actor who plays him in the film!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

double post sorry!
Last edited by Jimi Dean Barrett on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

PublicImage wrote: It only takes a moment and they deserve to be criticised for that distracting piece of stupidity.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/
Yes, it did and yes they do.

So, it is done.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8642854.stm

Haha. They actually responded because so many people complained about the stupid Graham Norton thing.

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Agreed! This is the highlight of the series so far and it can only get better! It's thinks like this that make me think they can make a Doctor Who film? See, my worry is, if they make "Doctor Who-The Movie" (proper Movie, not McGann TV Movie?) they'd more or less retell the whole story and kill the mystery of the "Who?" question.
However if the film was set around a story like that? It would be pretty successful leaving us to argue about the actor who plays him in the film!
It was definitely the most cinematic episode since The Impossible Planet / The Satan Pit, but I'd prefer it if they just stuck to long story arcs on TV. Steven Moffat wrote a blog about the new episode, where he calls it a "big action movie", so there is definitely an intentional cinematic quality to it. I don't think it needs to be transposed into cinemas because it would have to be accessible to first-time viewers to work, which would be a bore for older fans. It would also require a new Doctor, since we've already been introduced to Matt Smith's version of the character and they can't just repeat the exact same thing in a new context. The television serial is perfect for Doctor Who.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

Good. It was really annoying. I'm just glad I don't remember the other occasion they mention. Why did it have to be him both times?
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

Pretty good episode, but I did think it was more of a long build-up for the spectacles of the next episode. I'm thinking I need to watch it again, cause for some reason, I was actually mildly disappointed which shouldn't be possible considering the great reviews this one is getting!

As for Graham Norton, don't look into his eyes and don't blink. Also, whatever holds an image of Graham Norton is Graham Norton 8-[