Doctor Who

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

I get the feeling that the ReTarD likes all TV and that he is unable to distinguish between Doctor Who and anything else. Although I enjoyed the clowning around in the penultimate episode I too was a little disappointed with all the loose ends and general woolly-mindedness of this final instalment. The Bad Wolf thing wasn't properly thought out, neither was the mechanics of the last stand against the daleks. Having had the entire half-million strong dalek battle force poised to wreak havoc on the earth, we needed something a little more satisfying than someone with lights coming out of their eyes saying that's it, I've just wiped them all out. And what was that Hollyoaks moment all about where they went on about chicken and take-away pizza? I think the script editor needs a script editor.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Mixed feelings about the ending, really enjoyed it but was left a bit baffled by some parts, particularly Bad Wolf?, the message might as well have been ''cheese on toast'' or ''spoon, jar, spoon, jar'' for the explaination given! it was kind of forced on the viewer as well when it really didnt need to be, just about everyone I know thats followed the series as a general viewer rather than an obsessed Who fan didnt even know it was meant to mean anything until they were told it was meant to, bit pointless really, should have been a better way for Rose to not give up, in fact sheer bloody mindedness could have caused her to do the exact same thing and time could have been spent on the other plot points.

I quite liked the pizza scene, I liked the idea of the peiople around Rose going about their mundane business not really being able to grasp the concept of what she knows is happening which in her mind is right there and then at that moment, thinking about it this is where she decided she wasnt going to give up which could have just as easily lead her to trying to open the TARDIS console with no need for the Bad Wolf stuff at all.

The Anne Droid rocked, I have nothing else to say on the character :D

Did anybody feel the ''they survived through me'' voice from the previous weeks teaser was something of an anti-climax? how many people were pleased to see it was the Emporer Dalek from the 1967 story ''Evil of the Daleks'' (a story where, with the exception of audio, only one episode is known to exist!)?

But at the end of the day Dr Who is meant to be fun and it has been, wasnt sure about Captain Jack at first, but thought he was great by the end of the series and was genuinely disapointed to see him die (tho he got lucky of course), same with Lynda with a Y, she was ''cute'', but what a great death scene, the Dalek dome lights flashing the silent ''exterminate'' the other side of the window was genuinely chilling, absolutely brilliant!

Some things to look forward to next year, the Cybermen will be back, should be interesting to see what they'll be like these days and something really special is that Elisabeth Sladen will be back as the Pertwee / Tom Baker assistant Sarah Jane Smith! not sure how many episodes she'll be in but it'll be great to see her again, she's one of my fave companions, she'll have K9 wih her too apparently! Theres so much scope for a great character story there!

Christopher Eccleston has been brilliant as the Dr and David Tennant really has his work cut out, it did come as a bit of a surprise to see the Dr turn into the Fonz at the end of the episode :wink:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

The new series finally starts on the 31st of March. It should be good, especially because John Barrowman will be returning as Captain Jack, and John Simm (of Life On Mars) will be joining the cast in the role of The Master!

And for the Canadian fans, I believe it is going to be broadcast on CBC in June!
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

man... im still trying to find the Tom Baker as Dr Who series on DVD...
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

The new episode was terrific! Freema Agyeman is very good as the Doctor's new companion.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

MadJedi wrote:man... im still trying to find the Tom Baker as Dr Who series on DVD...
You wont! The only season released in its entirity on DVD so far was The Key To Time and that was only in the states (which is handy for you of course). All other individual stories from Tom Bakers era are being what feels sporadically released over an undisclosed period of time in their 2, 4 and 6 episode formats with one story per disc. Pertwee was better anyway ;)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Still, they're are some available, and more on the way. I have The Key to Time season on DVD, as well as Genesis of the Daleks, which is not only a superb episode, but also has an hour long making of documentary with contemporary interviews with the actors, producers, technical people, etc. It's well worth the price.

I heard they were releasing a boxed set of the last two Tom Baker stories and the first Peter Davison story.

I also have a bunch of the original William Hartnell stories on DVD. I'm currently going through the In the Beginning Boxed set, which has the original pilot An Unearthly Child and the very first Daleks story. Very cool to see where it all began!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Stephen »

This new series has so far failed to grab my attention in the way that the previous series have. One reason maybe that I can't seem to care whether anything bad happens to Martha because of the way her character is written.
black bobble
Knife
Knife

Post by black bobble »

I prefer Martha to Rose
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

As do I. I thought that the last episode was a vast improvement on the first half of the series. It would be so much better if it wasn't so inconsistent.

I cannot wait to see the last two episodes. The Master is coming back!
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

Its june here in canuckland and we've yet to see hide nor hair of the fabled THIRD season! The second (modern) only ended in about february, and of course, i was depressed for a week, i was crying all over the place.

Im a little miffed that they've gone and "replaced" rose even though the Dr said 'youre NOT replacing her', but well, we all know the ladies like to hold on to the Dr, once theyve got ahold of him. I hear the 3rd season's started in the UK now, so please warn us about spoilers you might end up referring to!

The CBC isn't very nice to us as far as Dr Who is concerned; they dont tell us anything! You have to be lucky to catch it airing. HMPh, they say its on saturdays nights midnight, but eveyone knows that hockey night in canada is on till about 4 in the morning EVERY saturday night, gosh!

anywho, im curious how well the 3rd season is shaping up sans rose and all that. Even though if, it was really bad, i would still watch it just to see David Tennant (i had to write this horrible exam that im sure the entire program failed as well and it was so bad that i had to have a 10-minute happy-place break in the middle with my head on my desk, saying, 'ok, think of david tennant in a 3-piece suit' to myself)
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

I would just like to say that tonights episode is quite simple one of the best pieces of television i've seen in years. David Tennant's performance was nothing short of stunning, and the ending managed to be moving, exciting and a little disturbing all at the same time. Yes it really was that good!!!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I think that the last episode was quite good. The next looks as though it will very interesting if the preview at the end is anything to go by, and it is written by Steven Moffat, who is undoubtedly my favourite writer from the new series, so it will most likely live up to all expectations.
orange floyd
Judge!
Judge!

Post by orange floyd »

omigosh its coming, it coming, monday after next. it was practically divine, i walked past the tv the second they played a preview, and proceeded to run around the house screaming (which was a feat since im on medication that has obliterated my sense of balance) and proceeded to phone my friend to talk about how exciting that is. mind you we do that whenever theres an episode, but now its the 3rd season, how exciting indeed!

this is great, so i guess i cant complain anymore since they didnt waste time this time around! yay!
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

3rd season of Doctor who starts on ABC here in australia with the runaway bride on thursday 28th june 8:35. :smt026

torchwood season 1 starts on channel 10 western australia 9:30 june 18th. :?