The BBC want you to submit song suggestions to them via the internet so that they have a playlist generated by fans for their Now Playing radio program.
As part of the 40th Anniversary year of Dark Side of the Moon (1973-2013), BBC Radio 2 and BBC 6 Music are broadcasting a radio show called Now Playing in the two hours before they broadcast Darkside, a radio play based on Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon. The two hour show will be broadcast from 8pm (UK time, currently GMT+1) on Bank Holiday Monday 26th August 2013. Darkside is broadcast from 10pm to 12 midnight.
The producers of the show have asked that NPF visitors submit their song requests to them, and have given a good suggestion to make sure your choice gets played!
Instead of just sending a message saying play Another Brick in the Wall pt2, they want you to give them a little story to go with the song! If they can say Andrew from Manchester wants to hear Another Brick in the Wall pt2 because Roger Waters wrote the lyrics whilst listening to the best man’s speech at his wedding, then they are much more likely to use your song suggestion!
How To Submit A Song Request
There are a variety of methods of how you can submit a song for the playlist and, if you send your suggestions now, NPF has been assured that your selection will be counted equally along with any suggestions made on the night. The playlist suggestions are due to get looked at from tomorrow (23rd Aug) so get in there early with a good story!
- by Tweeting using #Darkside,
- adding a track to their collaborative Rdio playlists and
- or by emailing them at [email protected].
What Songs Do They Want?
So what must be included in such a playlist? Here are some suggestions below that could be included:
- How about your favourite Floyd track – be it from Dark Side, one of their other records or a rare hidden gem?
- Solo work and side projects of Floyd band members which could include Bryan Ferry, Kate Bush or Robert Wyatt?
- Acts they’ve influenced – although where to begin – U2, Foo Fighters, David Bowie, Radiohead,Gorillaz and so on?
- Other psychedelic pioneers like The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix
- Or what about acts with incredible live shows which Pink Floyd pioneered?
How To Tune In? Need Help?
The shows are to be broadcast on BBC Radio 2 and BBC 6 Music.
- In the UK, you can tune in using a digital radio, on Sky digital or a regular radio. You can also listen online via the Radio 2 iPlayer. If you miss the show, you can catch up on the iPlayer too, although this is only available in the UK. See a list of all the channels and services you could use.
- International listeners can listen live online via the Listen Live player, however, you will not be able to download the programmes to your computer after the broadcast. I imagine it will all appear on YouTube and SoundCloud though so keep your eyes peeled for that! Go see if you can listen live now. If not and need help, ask here.
Need A Reminder?
I shall be sending out a newsletter reminder for the programming so make sure your are subscribed to our free and fun newsletter to get a reminder.
Source [ BBC ]