Best Pink Floyd book?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Best Pink Floyd book?

Post by TheFloydian1 »

I've got a few Floyd books already: Mind Over Matter (latest edition), Making of The Wall, Inside Out (not sure if need to update), Another Brick in the Wall (stories behind every Floyd song), The Black Strat (1st edition, might update).

Is there ONE Pink Floyd book that you think is the best and captures everything about them visually and/or in text? What would you recommend?

So far, I've been pondering Echoes: The Complete History of Pink Floyd and Pink Floyd: A Visual Documentary as possibilities.

But I'm trying to just get the best book out there, and try not to get too many books that might have much of the same information in each one.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Best Pink Floyd book?

Post by Damn!t »

Mark Blake's - pigs might fly - objective, journalist view on Floyd story. Really nice read.
Vernon Fitch - comfortably numb - the best book about the making of the whole wall concept out there.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

what this band needs is some kind of Revolution in the Head book.

i'm eager to read the one that Roger talked about lately.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

Would've loved a book like Mark Lewisohns "The Complete Beatles Chronicle" only with Floyd.
An overall "Whodidwhatonanygivendayinabbeyroadorelsewhere"...
:-;
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I really enjoyed Mark Blake's book too. It's very readable and well researched. I once picked up the Rough Guide to Pink Floyd and almost bounced it off the walls due to its high error count.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Check out Guy Pratt's "My Bass and other animals" - really nice insight into PF late 80s/early 90s tours. And funny too!
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

Though I saw Roger many times, Guy was my Pink Floyd bass player.
Enish
Knife
Knife

Post by Enish »

I've read Pink Floyd: The Music and the Mystery and I'm currently in the process of reading Inside Out and, so far, I prefer Inside Out. I know this is comparing apples to oranges as far as content goes, but they're both books about Pink Floyd and I find that I'm gaining more enjoyment out of the former than the latter. The personal touch to Mason's book adds a sort of humanity to the narrative while the other one seems like more of a reference book to me. I was expecting more from the former, such as histories and background/contextual information behind each song, but there wasn't a whole lot of that. Still, it managed to introduce me to the Man and the Journey shows, which I hadn't heard of until I'd read that book.
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

I read inside out and liked it, actually I have been calling it the final word. I’ve read a few of them, believe it or not I have a Pink Floyd encyclopaedia, not kidding. Very nice but I take the word from the man behind the drum kit more seriously than anything else. I sort of relate to Nick as during his book signing his foot kept going up and down. I wonder why. ( : well i operated a welding pedal for 10 years and my foots shakes now and then and I’ve been a guitarist for 35 years and my pick hand shakes like I’m picking Astronomy Domine. I guess I’m middle aged but what i would come out and ask Nick is...Nick are we really retired?
Pleasure chatting with you mate.....

Admiral Panther. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt this time and hope that the Caps Lock key has stopped malfunctioning on your keyboard. I've tidied your post up so that it won't be so hard to read
Regards, Snifferdog
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Vernon Finch - The press reports '66-'83 is one of the best of all the books. It's the band's history in their own words. It gives you chronological press reports and numerous interviews with the band members (including post floyd Syd Barrett) "as they were happening".

jschexna
Axe
Axe

Post by jschexna »

Inside out was a very good book. Although I'm not a huge Syd fan, I thought An Irregular Head was a very good book, and gave plenty of insight into Syd's mental problems.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Inside Out is a nice read - definitely if you want to get it, get the hardback because of the photos. It really is sanitised though, with Nick reluctant to step on anyone's toes. Not that I blame him - who'd want to cr&p on their own doorstep?
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

snifferdog wrote:Inside Out is a nice read - definitely if you want to get it, get the hardback because of the photos. It really is sanitised though, with Nick reluctant to step on anyone's toes. Not that I blame him - who'd want to cr&p on their own doorstep?
Had no idea there was a hardcover edition. I've got a paperback edition. Maybe I'll pick up what seems to be the last cheapest hardcover copy on Amazon, very good condition, for $80 within the next month, if still there.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

Inside out has also been released as an Audiobook - read by Nick in person.
Funny, as far as I've heard!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

A Portugese translation of Pigs Might Fly: The Inside Story Of Pink Floyd by Mark Blake is due for publication in Brazil on 5 March 2012. The book, now titled ‘Nos Bastidores Do Pink Floyd’, is published by Evora and has been rush-released to coincide with Roger Waters’ upcoming tour dates in Argentina and Brazil.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/blog/ ... mark-blake