What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

Post by Keith Jordan »

All those years ago, or very recently... what was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

I became a Pink Floyd fan late on in their history with me only being born in 1981 after all the good stuff had happened! Anyway, the first album I got was P.U.L.S.E for my sins! I think it was anyway. I'm getting old enough now to forget!!

Anyway, what about you?
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: What was the first Pink Floyd album you bought?

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I used to pop into a local pub when I was 19 or 20 in the early 70s and I kept hearing a track on the juke box which had a great guitar solo on it. It was of course 'Time', and the 'B' side was 'Us and Them'. Obviously the Floyd never released this single, but I think the pubs could get these for promotional purposes. It certainly worked on me and I went out and bought DSOTM. I never thought I'd see them perform it live but it was fantastic to see them do it at the Division Bell gig in '94.
RonBaker2003
Axe
Axe

Post by RonBaker2003 »

"Ummagumma" followed within the next few weeks by "Piper" and "Saucerful of Secrets".
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Got into them after watching Pulse bbc broadcast in 2002 one day after school, that weekend i went into town and picked up Pulse Delicate Sound Of Thunder and The Wall Live. Was hooked instanley and picked up all the albums in them coming months.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

My first PF album bought was Meddle in 1980 when I was 15. I had heard some of DSOTM a couple of years before and had not been impressed, but my musical tastes had been changing since then. I was also familiar with The Wall, as it had come out the year before and was getting a lot of radio play. But it was the fact that a friend had said to me, "You should hear Meddle. One song on it is 23 minutes long!" I was intrigued by that, because I had never heard of a song that long before. Brought it home, played side one with all the shorter songs and I was completely blown away. Then I put on side 2 and my life was changed forever.
Latin Floydian
Axe
Axe

Post by Latin Floydian »

It was A Saucerful of Secrets, but the 1st one i heard The Wall :-;
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Ironically, the Final Cut! I loved it instantly.

It wasn't the first time I heard Pink Floyd though. I had of course heard Hey You, Comfortably Numb, and Another Brick in the Wall 2 on an old cassette tape of my mother's.

Think the 2nd album I got was Meddle, followed closely by The Wall, WYWH and Animals.
Doctor Robert
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Doctor Robert »

Relics.
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

The Wall
edivon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by edivon »

Piper the day it was released in Sweden. Probably about the same time as in UK.
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

Dark Side in '73
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Great question and surprisingly difficult to answer !

After much head scratching and pacing up and down I think it was The Wall on CD circa 1987 (Double CD fat box case !) I remember buying the Delicate Sound of Thunder and Wish You Were Here ( on cassette ) shortly afterwards and it all just spiralled out of control from there !
Mellow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mellow »

Hmm..I think it was a cassette of The Wall back in the late 80’s…

I remember seeing parts of Pink Floyd - The Wall movie when I was about 10 or 11, I can’t remember where or why, possibly my older siblings had a copy. Most of it went over my head, but the use of music, school kids and animated scenes fascinated and frightened me all at once :shock: A few years later I watched it again, and a lot of the madness fell into place…I was a bit of a rock/metal head by then but I always had a soft spot for Floyd, and my Wall, Darkside and Animals cassettes sat proudly next to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden 8)
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

edivon wrote:Piper the day it was released in Sweden. Probably about the same time as in UK.
[-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-]
cskg25
Axe
Axe

Post by cskg25 »

My mum got me DSOTM on CD which was great because I had heard her QUAD vinyl album in the 70s and thought the money sounds in 4 speakers was neat ;) The first I actually paid for was MLOR. Then of course I went back and got everything I could, even Zabriskie Point :lol: