Should this forum have rules?

Introduce yourself by saying hello! Also, site news/info.

What rules should this community have?

No rules
4%
Less rules
23%
Same rules
73%
More rules
No votes

Total votes: 56

David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Yes, bloody and git :D I'm the saviour of these milder swear words.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:Yes, bloody and git :D I'm the saviour of these milder swear words.
right on david smith!! :lol:
mmszpara
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mmszpara »

same rules. there is enough lack of frankness already.
first in space
michael szpara
charlotte n.c. usa :) :)
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

sorry, i didnt read this thread much, so if what i post here has already been discussed then, well, blah

The key isnt more or less rules, its consistincy in dealing with those rules, and dealing with perpetrators.

I used to be admin (i retired) over at Ozforces, their Conditions od Use (COU - you have to read and sign to this when you register for the first time) is here:
http://www.ozgn.com/pnews.php?page=forumCOU

but the biggest problem is consistancy - what one admin may perceieve to be a breach of the COU, another admin may not.

or, one admin may ban a user for a breach, and then later down the track, they may let the same act slide by another user.

the above COU is a very good example of forum rules (ive lived by them {or similar} for about 5-6 years now). They work well.

personally, i think there should be more than 2 administrators.

also, on another note, i would prefer expletives to be fully blocked out - wioth asterisks.

not that i hate swearing or anything, but replacing the f-word with fuck is just stupid, and sometimes it just makes no sense.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

Keith, if you would like to email me
[email protected]
I have a few ideas for streamlining your admining process, to make it easier for yourself.

regards
Simon
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

Furious wrote:The key isnt more or less rules, its consistincy in dealing with those rules, and dealing with perpetrators.
Exactly. That's the point I was trying to make too.
Furious wrote:also, on another note, i would prefer expletives to be fully blocked out - wioth asterisks.

not that i hate swearing or anything, but replacing the f-word with *duck* is just stupid, and sometimes it just makes no sense.
Another good point. Or at least make the replacement words make more sense. Like muck would make more sense than duck. And spit would make more sense than lit. Lit makes no sense. And they don't need to rhyme, either.
Furious
Knife
Knife

Post by Furious »

hehe

You're full of spit, Pugs ;)
grateful pink
Knife
Knife

Post by grateful pink »

Bloody good, that! :D
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Furious wrote:or, one admin may ban a user for a breach, and then later down the track, they may let the same act slide by another user.
Only Keith can ban people, and even if me and FVP could we wouldn't 'cause we have nothing to do with the ownership of the site. We're just people with a lot of spare time. As for letting acts slide all 3 of us do go over every post so if one of us lets an act slip then the others won't.
Furious wrote:personally, i think there should be more than 2 administrators.
That would be necessary if this were more than just a pink floyd forum, but i don't think that would be to appopreate for the nature of this forum.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The admin has the control of the board and can enter the admin area to configure and change things for the board, ban people, track IP addresses and the like. Only I need admin rights. Having two moderators with moderator privilidges is fine. I read the majority of the posts and try to be as consistent as possible. I am only 21, inexperienced with forums and in the middle of my uni finals so give me a break. I am stressed damn it!! :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

David Smith wrote:We're just people with a lot of spare time.
:lol: Absolutely. We're just lending a hand, not rounding people up and shooting them. Not that anyone's suggested that, of course. :-#
David Smith wrote:That would be necessary if this were more than just a pink floyd forum, but i don't think that would be to appopreate for the nature of this forum.
Yeah. I think too many mods would stifle the place a bit, if only psychologically. :-s
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:Yeah. I think too many mods would stifle the place a bit, if only psychologically. :-s
Yeah, with much more than 2 mods and the all important admiistrator it would be psychologically straining for people knowing that nearly all the time an admin/ mod is online ready to censor what they say. Atleast with this amount people can say controversal things and it won't be for a few hours until it's taken down :D

But seriously, a big brother style regime would be a bit over the top. It's just a pink floyd forum after all.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:Yeah, with much more than 2 mods and the all important admiistrator it would be psychologically straining for people knowing that nearly all the time an admin/ mod is online ready to censor what they say. Atleast with this amount people can say controversal things and it won't be for a few hours until it's taken down :D

But seriously, a big brother style regime would be a bit over the top. It's just a pink floyd forum after all.
I want people to feel comfortable on this forum just to be themselves. Not fearing personal attacks or witnessing silly comments made about the band. We are all users of this community. It is just that FVP, David and I have the unenviable task or making sure everybody feels comfortable. This is a hard task to do properly so just be nice to us. We are good people. :D
bmet
Knife
Knife

The Rules

Post by bmet »

I have no problems with the current rules of the Forum.

bmet

:)
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

:lol: I think Bong should be brought back as a moderator. (just kidding)

I think the main rules were good. But some of the new rules seemed a little much. Like the respect the moderators, that just seems like common sense. I'm sure were not going to be banned for disagreeing, with one of there posts. But I would hope no one would be dumb enough to threaten anybody on the forum. Then they deserve what ever you decide Keith. :)