pompeii 7/8 july

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: pompeii 7/8 july

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote: It's a David Gilmour tour, not a Pink Floyd tour, so nobody gives a shit if you don't fancy the solo stuff, he's hardly going to leave it out when he's touring his newest album. Are you suggesting he had no right going back to Pompeii without Roger and Nick?
Pompeii was a PINK FLOYD thing. To ditch the Pompeii songs for his terrible, lifeless solo music is an insult. There's real power and memories there, and the Pomepii setlist should have been at last half-way honored.

Thom Yorke would have busted out A Saucerful of Secrets and Seamus, LOL. Gilmour just doesn't get it. And at least Waters has come to the conclusion no one wants to hear his solo songs. It's that self-awareness that makes a superior artist.

Gilmour seems terrified of being uncomfortable for even a second. but it was that discomfort with Roger and new input/sounds/direction that made Pink Floyd great.

Rattle that Lock and On an Island are embarrassing, retirement cruise ship music, just as bad as Radio Kaoss.

The solo work of all Pink Floyd members (except for a few songs off ATD ) are an embarrassment to the Pink Floyd name. They lack innovation, evolution, and progression artistically, as well as being overseen by Yes-Men afraid to call out the B.S. These songs will be forgotten, thankfully.
That's all crap

Dark side is a pink Floyd thing. Didn't stop Roger touring that did it? Listen I love Roger but if he had self awareness he'd realise people are sick to the back teeth of being lectured on politics by musicians like him on topics like Palestine. He's also recording new material to it seems he does in fact feel people still want to hear his solo efforts.

Who gives a fuck what Thom Yorke would do? Did you hear Radiohead's latest effort? Hardly inspiring stuff is it.

Gilmours touring his new album, he went and performed in Pompeii, a nice bit of sentimentality in that given he's one of the members of the band who played their in 71, that's it. In summary, you talk complete and utter shite with regards to music. Can you even play an instrument? Do you know how to craft a song? Do you have any musical experience bar talking crap on Internet forums?

Nothing more than cheap digs at Dave Gilmour because you don't like him.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

I'm perfectly ok with Roger talking about and militating for Palestine. He's absolutely in his right to do so. You don't have to listen to him, you don't have to read about it if you're not interested - he's not stuffing you with his rhetorics and you're not held hostage of his discourse. In fact, people who cry for artists to "shut up" about some kind of socio-political cause are the ones that annoy me the most - what a deeply moronic, backward attitude. Why don't they shut the fuck up instead, just to get a taste of their own advice? Anyway, I'm not interested in their opinion that much, mind you, this is a Pink Floyd message board. So don't lump us all together. I, for one, am not fed up with Roger talking about whatever he feels like.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It doesn't bother me although I think he should perhaps take a step back once in a while. I know it annoys a hell of a lot of folk though. Mainly because these guys are musicians, they're not politicians. I'm not lumping anyone together either, just stating plenty of people don't care to be told how to think by musicians, how you gleaned anything else from that is absolutely beyond me
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

if he had self awareness he'd realise people are sick to the back teeth of being lectured on politics by musicians like him on topics like Palestine.
Maybe a little bit of nuance as in "some people" or "me and my friends" or "people who don't agree with him", etc. would have gone down better. Anyway, is he really telling people how to think? Is he doing anything else than expressing himself with passion on a divisive topic? I don't remember being told what to think by Roger Waters. Anyway, I'm sorry you felt that way - it's not how self expression should go.
BUT, a musician or a plumber or a policeman or whoever can speak its mind on political topics. It's beyond me that some people should believe in their right mind that only politicians should talk publicly about politics. That's absolutely twisted. And you hear that a lot! Following that logic, only bakers should talk about cakes, only judges should talk about justice, only musicians should talk about music... Well... This world is doomed <ii>
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I don't particularly like Israel but the fact that he always bash them and never talks about Saudi Arabia and other islamic states is an insult to my intelligence.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

The political stuff on Roger shows was a bit annoying to me. Seemed to be the point of the songs at times, when t clearly wasn't to begin with and was definitely not what I was there for. The adolescent and adolescent minded seemed impressed by the bush shooting himself stencil or the impeach bush flying pig. Not to mention how he's reworked a tonne of politics into the wall.
Just imagine if Gilmour had reworked classics like that to push his own agenda. But hey, he's not a genius... He's not even allowed back in a disused amphitheatre.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Follix wrote:I don't particularly like Israel but the fact that he always bash them and never talks about Saudi Arabia and other islamic states is an insult to my intelligence.
My best guess is that this particular cause grabbed him enough to get involved. If you want to save the whales, you won't spend your time talking about rhinos (but you may well hope someone else takes that mantle). I honestly think that he cares about the civilians in Palestine and criticizes the Israeli government for its actions against them.
Just1more
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Just1more »

I love it....a board on a band that made their entire career on politics with people crying about the members stepping up & being political. Or have some of you ignored pretty much 80% of the PF, DG, RW, lyrics?

steppingto israel & Palestine...Half the time I hope iran takes out both sides so that we no longer have to listen to either side whine...and Israel's entitlement attitude to American cash, weapons, & unconditional support is getting tiring as well...as in welfare queen tiring...if that whole area and their religious relics disappeared the world would be much better off

I assumed that the "Rattle that Lock" tour would have at least something from the album. No matter the venue. In fact I pretty much knew the Playlist well in advance of purchasing tickets. Would I have preferred all Floyd? Personally, yes. Other than his first 2 soli albums I know little of his solo efforts. But then again each of us have our own favorites, right? I sure don't begrudge a guy touring under his own name for playing a few of his own songs...I myself felt the jazz song (not sure the name) sort of threw off the concert a bit. Just an odd piece to throw in there in my opinion... I'm sure others liked it but to me it just didn't fit it.
Last edited by Just1more on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I'm not sure what you're calling politics. I see a definite change as of the final cut with thatcher being thrown in etc. Hitler too. Come on.
The previous work was about universal themes like madness, greed, deceit, fears etc. That's partly why they're timeless classics. Ethereal, vaguely abstract lyrics. Even The Wall is universal enough for teenagers to still feel "it's so about them, man.". Then it got very specific and Roger is still at it. Contextual art is well, contextual.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Animals was especially political but it's hard to disagree with the lyrics. But again, I care much more about the music than the lyrics, what I don't want is a 10 minutes speech during a show, whether it's about saving the whales, Israel or reptilians conspiracy, I can think by myself.

He can gives all his money to charities, talk about it for hours with the medias and make a video on Youtube about it, I don't care but in the middle of a concert it's... Anticlimactic.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Write a fucking song about it then. If you want to work your political beliefs into a good song then great. But most follow these guys for their music. One thing I will say is at least Roger is fairly genuine in his beliefs. It's nowhere near as annoying as having a wanker like morrissey tell you you're no better than a pedo because you eat meat.

I didn't mind the political content of Rogers shows too much though my brother got a good laugh at his messages about capitalism when old Rog uses some of his fortune to reside in the capitalist capital if the world
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Gilmour returns to the legendary Pompeii, and opens the show with.....the worst songs of his career:

1. 5 A.M.
2. Rattle That Lock
3. Faces Of Stone
4. What do You Want From Me
5. The Blue
6. The Great Gig in The Sky
7. A Boat Lies Waiting

It's like some alien kidnapped the cool, experimental David and replaced him with this retirement/bingo parlor FM-lite version. There's just no self-awareness at all to that setlist considering the context. Just none.

How cool would it be to hear the slow cymbal/noise wave from A Saucerful of Secrets to open the show, or the eerie bass line from Careful With that Axe?

BTW, for anyone who thinks I'm pro-Waters, he's just as bad. Both men are terrified of being uncomfortable. They need producers to tell them what's shit and what's not (or each other), but their ego's won't let it happen.

It's pretty simple: Stop the politics, Roger. Stop the FM-lite noodling over synth pads Shine On Version 6,435, David. Get into a room and mess around with synths and distortion. Make cool shit again.

apparently the producer for Roger's latest will be Radiohead's producer. THAT's a huge chunk of self-awareness from Roger that IMHO bodes well for the new album, at least musically (I have no doubt it will be riddled/bloated with political lyrics).
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

You're misinterpreting the past, and misinterpreting the future. I suggest you write all your reviews of Roger's new album ahead of time.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I agree 5am is the tenth version of SOYCD but I like it... Clean guitar sound, ethereal keyboard, right note at the right time, a lot of feeling...

David is 70 and you act like he is 25, his prime is behind him same thing with Roger. The day you find a chord progression like ''In Any Tongue'' and a solo that fit incredibly well the said progression and lyrics, I will take you seriously.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »