The Royal Albert Hall Concerts

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Royal Albert Hall Concerts

Post by kjek1 »

Excellent photos. Thanks for sharing!
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Well that's that!

Tour over, no more shows and what a fabulous last show it was.
Only down side was the 'Red Dress' song replacing 'Us And Them'. No comparison really.

Gilmour actually sounded emotional when mentioning it was the last night saying he'd had 'lots of fun', was 'sad' and he was feeling a bit 'blue' as he introduced 'The Blue'. Of course it must be dawning on him that his career is in its latter stages.

As for these shows, to my ears, his soloing seems to have reached new heights. He's taken to extending them anywhere he can. Clearly a musician that is really enjoying the experience.
Crowd tonight were the noisiest of the five nights in my opinion. The hall stood up for the solo on 'Fat Old Sun' towards the end so that enthusiasm was clearly filtering into the crowd. It seemed to surprise Guy Pratt.

He hugged everyone of his band at the end. Their body language was interesting and clearly he is a musician well liked and respected by his band. Lovely to watch. :D

One now wonders what the future holds for David Gilmour as far as music is concerned. I have the feeling he isn't finished but I have my doubts if we'll see him perform again especially touring.......but who knows!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I really hope he doesn't give it up. He looks like he's really enjoyed it, especially these Albert hall shows
jeff_s
Embryo
Embryo

Post by jeff_s »

moodyblue wrote:Well that's that!

Tour over, no more shows and what a fabulous last show it was.
Only down side was the 'Red Dress' song replacing 'Us And Them'. No comparison really.

Gilmour actually sounded emotional when mentioning it was the last night saying he'd had 'lots of fun', was 'sad' and he was feeling a bit 'blue' as he introduced 'The Blue'. Of course it must be dawning on him that his career is in its latter stages.

As for these shows, to my ears, his soloing seems to have reached new heights. He's taken to extending them anywhere he can. Clearly a musician that is really enjoying the experience.
Crowd tonight were the noisiest of the five nights in my opinion. The hall stood up for the solo on 'Fat Old Sun' towards the end so that enthusiasm was clearly filtering into the crowd. It seemed to surprise Guy Pratt.

He hugged everyone of his band at the end. Their body language was interesting and clearly he is a musician well liked and respected by his band. Lovely to watch. :D

One now wonders what the future holds for David Gilmour as far as music is concerned. I have the feeling he isn't finished but I have my doubts if we'll see him perform again especially touring.......but who knows!
Had the joy of seeing him in Chicago. 1st time since seeing Floyd twice back in the day but this one was special for me as David is the reason I became a guitarist and it was also the 1st time seeing him since I starting playing, as well as it being my daughter's 1st rock concert.

For what it's worth, he did an interview over the summer (don't recall where) and stated that he's going right back in to the studio to work on his next record that's already been started. I've seen/read a few interviews over the course of the tour where he does talk about the future very positively and that he is NOT done with his work. Like you, I've noticed a David Gilmour really enjoying himself this entire tour, like never before. I think that bodes well for us fans. He does know that time is getting shorter (no pun intended) and I've gotten the sense that with this new enthusiasm he has a new sense of energy and he wants to take advantage of that. David has a certain freedom now and I think he's found a formula that he enjoys, of touring a few weeks at a time then being at home with family, so I do believe that we will be seeing him again sooner than we might think.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

If anything happens - another album and/or another tour - it'll be within the next couple of years. I think David knows that he's now in the twilight of his career. If he wants to do more he's got to do it sooner rather than later. Polly certainly seems to think she'll be writing more lyrics before writing a new book, so that's another good sign.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

It'll be interesting to see if Phil Manzanera's involved in the next album (if there is one)...
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wow good question. They're close friends, but I'll tell you what, as far as touring goes Chester Kamen is a much better guitar player and Dave actually seemed to enjoy playing with him more
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

Yeah, around a year ago he stated most of the next LP was already written, I’d expect as most have said here he’s gonna proceed with this project sooner rather than later, he’s is ok shape for his age but who knows....

I’d expect Manzanera to be involvded as usual.
grahamk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by grahamk »

Interesting review:

http://thecarouser.com/david-gilmour-albert-hall/

Stiils and Nash on comfortably numb?? Heh.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Are they still in good term tho? Same thing with Jon Carin?

I mean both left in the middle of the Tour, I doubt it's normal.
grahamk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by grahamk »

Unless I missed something, Stills and Nash made no appearances at the RAH shows. So I am not sure what this reviewer is talking about. Crosby did show up at the first Hollywood Bowl show. Crosby and Nash are not on speaking terms lately according to Nash.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

corsyb and nash were there last year on the 1 night, and I was lucky to see them. they sang on an island and the blue as far as I recall. then came back for comfortably numb, I think. they were the only other guest at the RAH shows so far (both years). maybe the reviewer screwed up, or maybe the review is recycled from last year.
grahamk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by grahamk »

Shine on intro from the last night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGODZcYSnXE
metanoia
Embryo
Embryo

Post by metanoia »

raisemyrent wrote:corsyb and nash were there last year on the 1 night, and I was lucky to see them. they sang on an island and the blue as far as I recall. then came back for comfortably numb, I think. they were the only other guest at the RAH shows so far (both years). maybe the reviewer screwed up, or maybe the review is recycled from last year.

I was there that night too. They sang A boat lies waiting as well. Personally I thought David did a better job on his own the other 3 times I've been fortunate enough to hear it live there.

I really sensed an overwhelming feeling of finality at the last night, I was in tears numerous times throughout the night, and looking around I wasn't the only one. Fat old Sun was incredible, you could really see the enjoyment of the whole band as the crowd got to their feet. Comfortably numb solo was sublime, the best I've ever heard it. I hope and pray to god (aka David Gilmour) that it's not the last time I hear him play it live.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

metanoia wrote:
I really sensed an overwhelming feeling of finality at the last night, I was in tears numerous times throughout the night, and looking around I wasn't the only one.
I can concur with that.
Every night at some point, I could feel the emotional swell at times and my eyes would water a little at the very least. I don't know if it is because I am that much older now and these songs represent my youth or I am just a sentimental 'young' fool.

Either way, I am experiencing withdrawal symptoms this week!