There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Flathead »

It's been a cover band by both sides since The Wall. Not much you can do. I just appreciate that this piece doesn't sound like elevator music (Rattle That Lock), or 5,000 words crammed into two minutes (Pros and Cons).
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Flathead wrote:It's been a cover band by both sides since The Wall.
Gilmour + Wright + Mason is not a cover band that's absurd... That's just the real band with other people minus Roger.

When David was touring with Rick I would even struggle to call it a ''cover'' band it might was one but it was an utterly epic one... David alone is in a cover band but still much closer of the real things (It's the real guitar tone and most of the real voice which are the hardest elements to recreate) than Roger Waters who hit a few bass notes.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

One of these days is in Rogers set, did he have any involvement at all? He didn't even record the bass.

Suppose when Dave's playing Us and them and Money he can at least say he sang the originals and played lead guitar on them.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

from the videos i have seen of One Of These Days from Mexico someone else is playing lead bass not sure who Roger doesnt add much too it by the looks of it. But the overall performance of OOTD is boring compared to 88-94 70's version's and David's last tour hell even tribute bands do better performances of then Rogers.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Gilmour + Wright + Mason is not a cover band that's absurd... That's just the real band with other people minus Roger.
When you take away the primary songwriter and guy who sang 50% of the songs, created the live spectacle, album art, and concepts, it's cover band territory. Like CCR without Fogerty.

Those versions of Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell with Guy Pratt playing that minty clean bass, hopping around like a monkey and singing Roger's parts are embarrassing.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:One of these days is in Rogers set, did he have any involvement at all? He didn't even record the bass.
"One of These Days is probably the most collaborative song we ever did" - David Gilmour.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: Suppose when Dave's playing Us and them and Money he can at least say he sang the originals and played lead guitar on them.

'Us and Them" was written by Roger Waters and Rick Wright. It's their song. The embarrassing "Anisina" on The Endless River tries it's best to mimic that sound.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Flathead wrote:
When you take away the primary songwriter and guy who sang 50% of the songs, created the live spectacle, album art, and concepts, it's cover band territory. Like CCR without Fogerty.

Those versions of Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell with Guy Pratt playing that minty clean bass, hopping around like a monkey and singing Roger's parts are embarrassing.
He sangs most of the fillers indeed (like most boring Wall songs and whole boring Final Cut ) but for the rest it's about his bass which is less important to me than the real Gilmour guitar sound. Also it's very easy to minimize Rick's importance in the band, he is the one who is the more predominant in the Pink Floyd sound. It's not guitar, bass or drums it's keyboards and organ who drives the ambiance... so imo guitar + keyboard much more important than bass only, voice part being split if you like.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

So by that logic, Roger shouldn't play Dogs and Comfortably Numb, he should probably recreate all solos for his performance I guess.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

No. "By that logic", both artists are cover band-like when they play Pink Floyd songs since The Wall.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Follix wrote: He sangs most of the fillers indeed (like most boring Wall songs and whole boring Final Cut ) b

Yes, the boring Wall fillers like Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Mother, Another Brick I-III, Hey You, and Nobody Home. And other "fillers" like Dogs, Shine On, Pigs, etc.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:

Yeah but Dave taught Roger everything and also wrote all of the Beatles albums for them.

Sorry I thought if you could just pull random fairy stories out of your arse then I could too. Seriously someone forgot to tell Storm Thorgenson he actually didn't create the cover art, it was all Roger.

You're playing down a proper musician and performer like Gilmour whilst blowing a guy who uses playback, now THATS embarrassing. And Roger doesn't play anything on One of these days, embarrassingly enough he's not even doing the lead bass during his current live version. Imagine Gilmour playing Comfortably Numb and then standing back to let Phil Manzanera take the solo, yeah he'd never embarrass himself with a key song like that.

You've also named songs where the vocals are primarily Dave's like Comfortably Numb and Dogs, then you've named crap songs like Another Brick, even Run Like Hell isn't a very good song, it's Dave's music, I'm sure now I've said it's not very good this'll be a rare occasion where you're prepared to give Dave songwriting credit.

Also Anisina bears no resemblance to Us and Them, you don't know a thing about writing music, so don't embarrass yourself trying to debate it! Rick and Roger wrote Us and Them, but Dave sang it, Roger did the square root of fuck all on Fearless and One of these days in terms of recording and after all we're talking live gigs, it's about the performance, not standing in the crowd and going "ooooh Roger sounds terrible trying to sing Wish You Were Here, but he wrote the lyrics so wooooo this is amazing"

I expect you to do what you usually do, ie ignore my retort when you realise you're snookered, then move on to some other petty lot of nonsense
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Flathead wrote:
This is Embarrassing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRiA316Yxw get your facts right the 88-94 version of CN are superior to this and other versions Roger has done over the years the version with Eddie Vedder is average at best. The drums are shite as well
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

azza200 wrote:This is Embarrassing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRiA316Yxw get your facts right the 88-94 version of CN are superior to this and other versions Roger has done over the years the version with Eddie Vedder is average at best. The drums are shite as well
Worst version was on Rogers in the flesh tour, crap vocals coupled with a hideous guitar duel between Snowy White and Doyle Brahmall
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I don't mind that version funnily enough prefer it too any of Dave K's solos