There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Kerry King »

danielcaux wrote:I't like a modern One Of These Days!!
You're quite obviously just trying to piss people off.
Is that what you've been waiting for? A modern One Of These Days? Well, good for you. You've been pandered to. You're happy. Great. I suspect you have dug yourself in so deep that your ego won't allow you to just throw your hands up and admit Roger Waters has been full of shit for a long time. 25 years of selling us the same songs. 25 years. It makes sense that a non discerning Waters fan such as yourself would have the same kind of ego as Waters. Or have I misunderstood you?

Again: Piper doesn't sound like OBC which doesn't sound like DSOTM which is not like Animals which is very different from TFC. That's why PF were great. They were always moving forward. Not resting on the past work. Now you just want recycled trash? You're an enabler. You helped ruin pink floyd by encouraging these last 25 years of oldies and nostalgia. You encouraged it with your wallet. You won't even acknowledge that forging ahead is what put them in the hallowed place they are in today. You ignore all of my responses to your championing of remakes. Thanks a lot. You prove my point to those who recognize most remakes for what they are: Soulless and uninspired dreck.

Waters should do a Star Wars sequel next. I want pink floyd action figures at McDonalds!
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote:Wolfpack, do you recognize the melody Roger is singing during The Last Refugee line that goes "catch the sweet hover of lips just barely apart... AND WONDER!!!"?? It's from a Syd Barrett song! Minus the wonder part of course :D

I do wonder if he did it unconsciously or as a tribute...

Anyway, really cool connection.

PS/ Holy fuck! "Picture That" is AWEEEEEESSOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!!! I't like a modern One Of These Days!!

Agreed. Really amazing work.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Behind my sarcasm desperate memories lie.

Btw, Daniel, you are one of the more interesting voices on this forum so don't think there was any animosity toward you in my last post. There was none. Not that you care, but you might. I also need to be reassured that not everyone is a sycophantic fanboy. Certain forum members create an imbalance that has to be righted.

It's been quite a ride on the gravy train for old Rog, hasn't it? After he tried to destroy the reputations of the other floyd members his songwriting talent slipped away. I wonder if it's connected.

If Levon Helm had been in Pink Floyd I can only imagine what he'd have said about Waters. At least Robbie Robertson didn't try to sue the rest of The Band when they carried on without him. Robertson never attempted to diminish the others talents. But, damn, Levon sure tore into him. Not without reason, I'm sure. Ironic that Waters called on those guys to play at The Wall show in '90. Or is it?
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

The pro roger fanatics are always quick to slag off David Gilmour and Post Roger Floyd

while they praise this lip syncing from Roger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag4qB3v ... u.be&t=38s

Its just basically a Desert Trip/ Mexico lite setlist with a few new solo songs thrown in not what the hype surrounding the tour had us believe.

Picture that is a good song though
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Are we still getting another brick in the wall part 2.5 or whatever?
Roger takes the song that appears 3 times on the album already and Makes another version. Genius.

Imagine if Gilmour had actually agreed to do some solos. Maybe throw Mason in for good measure. Roger starts playing and Gilmour goes like: you're playing Mother as a warm-up? No, no, it's a different song. Is it?? Yeah, it's got different lyrics! Gilmour walks out.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

raisemyrent wrote:Gilmour walks out.
Digs up some boring Wright tapes from the wastebin,
decides to use them for another Pink Floyd album...
'Pillows Apart', 'A Great Night For Sleeping', 'Pajamas Outside In', 'Take a Nap',
'Going Back to Sleep', 'Keep Sleeping' (featuring Hawking's electronic snoring)...
Gil... eh... Pink Floyd fans on Neptune go praising: "Grab our money!" \:D/
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Haha nice. Except not one of those songs is a direct lift from another Floyd song, and in some cases (deja vu) a second generation lift (mother, pigs on the wing). Maybe except what do you want from me with the Em C, which is a floyd staple anyway, and the first bit of the solo from raise my rent (acknowledged by the band). Bands evolve. I take it you don't like the new Floyd but it was new. Not one interview claiming genius, not one interview saying they're twice the musicians as Roger (which was disrespectful to Wright btw).
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Wolfpack wrote:
raisemyrent wrote:Gilmour walks out.
Digs up some boring Wright tapes from the wastebin,
decides to use them for another Pink Floyd album...
'Pillows Apart', 'A Great Night For Sleeping', 'Pajamas Outside In', 'Take a Nap',
'Going Back to Sleep', 'Keep Sleeping' (featuring Hawking's electronic snoring)...
Gil... eh... Pink Floyd fans on Neptune go praising: "Grab our money!" \:D/

[-D-]
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Haha you deserve the gregorian choir in The Tide is Turning, set to an insulting I-vi-IV-V. Genius.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Ok. So, so far I have listened to side A and B of the album, I'm saving the second half, sides C and D, for when I have the actual physical album in my hands, as I enjoy more the experience of listening an album for the first time if I can read the lyrics and look at the artwork while listening. So far my first impressions are... quite good. Not a great masterpiece, but quite solid, no single bad track so far.

The album is a little weird actually, since it's clearly what you would expect from Waters: heavy on the lyrics over musically simple backgrounds. So in that sense it's 100% Waters, and people who don't like his previous solo work can rest assured that they are NOT going to like this album either. But it's weird because while being pure Waters, at the same time sounds a lot like Radiohead's latest record, A Moon Shaped Pool, so you can VERY clearly hear Nigel Godrich influence on it.

The title track particulary reminds me a lot of "Decks Dark" from that album, in a good way, since it's one of my favorite tracks so far. But it does sound a lot like Radiohead! I think, taking that into consideration, it should have been released as a collaboration between the two and not as a solo record, a "Waters+Godrich" release, that way people could know what to exactly expect and understand and judge the album under the proper light and context.

On the other songs overall you can hear lots of synths, which is nice, it's like a return to side B of The Wall. It sounds "modern" though, like retro vintage, not actual vintage: modern tracks with little classic 70S Floyd elements thrown in the mix. The songs seem to be edited in little groups of two or three. Broken Bones is in the style of those majestic ballads from The Final Cut, similar to Deja Vu, but with some guitar work at the end reminiscent of "Hello I Love You", which I quite like, those sustained guitar notes at the climax of the chorus. There's also a great string work on the title track, a very apocalyptic and dark sounding song which nicely segues into "Bird In a Gale", an even more apocalyptic song! It's basically what "Four Minutes" from KAOS should always have been: a lot of synths and electric piano, ticking clocks, feeling of impending doom, Roger singing some pessimistic stuff over a sound collage of radio transmissions and ending all with a big bang*.... fucking awesome!

If you like that stuff that is, If youIf you like that stuff that is, If you prefer more normal AOR music like that from On An Island or RTL, or maybe more complex prog music or you are still waiting for the second coming of the WYWH album, well, you sure better stay away from this, since this is not the kind of stuff you will enjoy.

On the other hand, fans of Roger solo stuff post-ATD, The Final Cut and A Moon Shaped Pool, are well advised to check this one too, chances are you are going to like it quite a bit. Very dark album. Or at least the first half. Don't know at all what awaits me in the second half! I'm saving that for the next week :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3__KOf6xZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnMwOR0_qBU

*Not actually quite BIG since the album is heavily compressed, sadly, so more like a little bang :lol
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Cool. I thought you were in Canada as well; where did you get the album? Apple Music isn't releasing until tomorrow I think. I actually don't like a moon shaped pool as much. I love Radiohead but I feel that it's over produced but really very few real ideas. Anyways. Not expecting much from this album as I like the Gilmour/Wright side of Floyd and listen to the endless river more than anything else these days. Doesn't seem like I even need to familiarise myself with the tracks much anyway as he is only doing a few live (I'm going to the show).
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Would you read a review from Rolling Stoooooooooooooooone?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... nt-w485215
Wednesday seems the earliest I can get this, but OK!
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

azza200 wrote:The pro roger fanatics are always quick to slag off David Gilmour and Post Roger Floyd

while they praise this lip syncing from Roger https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag4qB3v ... u.be&t=38s

Its just basically a Desert Trip/ Mexico lite setlist with a few new solo songs thrown in not what the hype surrounding the tour had us believe.

Picture that is a good song though

shocking that clip [-X
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Yeah eh Embarrassing or cinycal. Can't decide.

Anyway I'm listening now; I'm on picture that. So far, 0 original thought. Amused to death and Floyd rehashes (same diff). Roger's singing sounds very bad. Like it was the first take. He is again struggling to match musical and verbal syllables and the lines come out garbled. The very first lines in the album are like this. Instantly brings everything down. Not polished enough. Pisses on the production. This level of not caring is again embarrassing or cynical. Bob Dylan he is not.
Again like kjek said, this is bordering on plagiarism so far. Some of it is LIFTED from Floyd. Not in the style of, not reminiscing, lifted. Copycat. Didn't he describe AMLOR as a good piece of forgery? We should revisit that terminology. Also, enough with the tv/radio always on during the album. Been there done that yawn

Ps I got to most beautiful girl and it started with the slow beat and the signature almost country piano and horrible singing and recycled cadences and I couldn't take it anymore. I prefer to work on my spreadsheet in silence for a while today.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

OK, so this is a dividing one, isn't it?
Whilst raisemyrent is correct about the obvious lifts from old Floyd songs, they aren't as dull as he makes them out to be. The 70's Floyd sound is I feel filtered pretty well through Godrich's production sensibilities. The two hit a pretty happy medium I feel on this album. This is more or less what I expected from this album when I heard 'Smell The Roses', and I don't really have a problem with it. I mean, the lyrics are pretty heavy-handed, but it works.
To those getting on his case for lifting chord progressions and such from past Floyd stuff, I get it. The end of 'Deja Vu' is basically Mother, for example. But I take it for what it is, and I would spend money on this album for sure (been streaming it for now). Mostly for now I agree with danielcaux's review of this, except for me I found myself pulled more towards the music than the lyrics, but that might have just been Godrich's production, given that he always seems to put the music first.