"Is This The Life We Really Want" preorder starts April 21

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Re: "Is This The Life We Really Want" preorder starts April

Post by Flathead »

bonjanee wrote:
kjek1 wrote:I've yet to meet one person who cited their reason for loving Comfortably Numb as being the deep lyrics. It's always been about the virtuoso guitar work.
Well you just have :-)

... or at least someone who thinks that the deep and meaningful lyrics are a vital part of the mix at least equal to the guitar work. They give the music emotional grounding that sets the foundation for the music. Both the songs authors have admitted that its the perfect example of them working so well together.

Waters' lyrics and song structures act as an emotional anchor that grounds Gilmour's melodic flights. Gilmour provided an emotional release to Waters very grounded, cynical but utterly brilliant songwriting.

As Ron Geesin pointed out in the BBC Pink Floyd doc from 1994 - Waters has (or at least had) great timing, not in the musical sense, but in how to bring structure to a piece, when things should happen, when things should be left out etc. He is a master of dynamics, whereas Gilmour is a master of melody.

He also brought a madness/mania to the mix that was integral the band. He was a driving force that tied the other elements together into a unified vision.

The Albert Hall rehearsal video and the studio sections of live at Pompei are a great insight into how the band seemed to have worked. Waters has a great sense of the bigger picture. The puzzle about what do you do with a straight line. Waters the architect would build the cathedrals, Gilmour, Mason and Wright would paint frescos in the ceilings.

Look at the evolution of Echoes. From Nothing Part 14 (which is brilliant, but goes nowhere) to a soaring piece with multiple dynamics going on. Waters may not have written every bit - but you can be sure that he was instrumental in saying what piece goes where, and as importantly, what would be left out.

Anyway - back on topic. 'Smell the Roses' is a good portent for the album. It's not breaking any new ground sonically (I don't expect any floyd member to do this at this point in their career) but I like the imagery, I like the passion in his voice - the breakdown is decent. If it's job was to keep my interest piqued for the album, then job done. I give it a 6.5/10. Not spectacular, but not as embarrassing as Rattle That Lock

Guess we don't have too much longer to wait until we know what a Roger Waters long player for 21st century sounds like. I'm excited. At this stage I'm only asking for 4-5 songs that can be added to the legacy. It's been the trend on all Floyd related releases since 1987. No stone cold classic albums, a lot of dross, but there are always a few songs from each to keep interest.

Agree with all of this. Well-said.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

kjek1 wrote:I've yet to meet one person who cited their reason for loving Comfortably Numb as being the deep lyrics. It's always been about the virtuoso guitar work.
I have no idea what social circles you move through. I don't know a soul who thinks Comfortably Numb would be one of PF's best songs if it was an instrumental. It's a good solo but, I mean, guitar solos do not generally capture the attention of a massive audience the way CN has. Particularly today when the same old tired rock licks have been rehashed a million times over. If all I cared about was that solo I'd be completely sick of that song. I'm quite sick of it anyway.

Nothing in CN hits me harder than when Gilmour sings the lines "I turned to look but it was gone I cannot put my finger on it now". In context. If he were to sing that exact melody yet the words were, for example, "I love you babe but you are gone, I cannot live without your love now", it just would not have the same emotional impact on me.
"I have become comfortably numb" was a great line/hook and Comfortably Numb is a fantastic title for a song. Equal to the solo.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Kerry King wrote:
I have no idea what social circles you move through. I don't know a soul who thinks Comfortably Numb would be one of PF's best songs if it was an instrumental. It's a good solo but, I mean, guitar solos do not generally capture the attention of a massive audience the way CN has. Particularly today when the same old tired rock licks have been rehashed a million times over. If all I cared about was that solo I'd be completely sick of that song. I'm quite sick of it anyway.

Nothing in CN hits me harder than when Gilmour sings the lines "I turned to look but it was gone I cannot put my finger on it now". In context. If he were to sing that exact melody yet the words were, for example, "I love you babe but you are gone, I cannot live without your love now", it just would not have the same emotional impact on me.
"I have become comfortably numb" was a great line/hook and Comfortably Numb is a fantastic title for a song. Equal to the solo.

The social circles of the internet and wider pink Floyd fanbase. I'm not saying they're not great lyrics they are, but it's famous for the guitar wiifm, why any other guitar players licks would impact on your enjoyment if this track I have no idea. And guitar isn't merely about "licks", it's about tone, it's about technique, it's about timing.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

kjek1 wrote:why any other guitar players licks would impact on your enjoyment if this track I have no idea.
Allow me to clarify. (I thought it was obvious): Almost 40 years on it has been rubbed into the ground. The impact diminishes over time, particularly when so many others have followed in it's wake and assimilated Gilmour into their own style.

Pigs is Gilmour's best studio guitar work. The lyrics rise to the occasion. Or, more likely, Gilmour elevated his guitar work to meet the intensity and righteousness of the song and it's message.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: The social circles of the internet and wider pink Floyd fanbase. I'm not saying they're not great lyrics they are, but it's famous for the guitar wiifm, why any other guitar players licks would impact on your enjoyment if this track I have no idea. And guitar isn't merely about "licks", it's about tone, it's about technique, it's about timing.

For me, the strength of this song is the juxtaposition between "the light" and "the dark". Roger's verse is the ominous darkness, and then Gilmour's chorus is the ethereal light shining down. Combine that with the imagery of "a distant ship smoke on the horizon" or "your lips move, but I can;t hear what you're saying, you're only coming through in waves", and the kick ass string arrangements, from spooky to light are why I love the song.

The guitar solos are great, don't get me wrong, but feel anticlimactic for me compared to the rest.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Imo the final solo is the pinnacle of a PF/Gilmour show because he plays it differently every night. The first licks are epic and the backing track is strong.

Definitely not the case if you are used to Roger cover band tho then Comfortably Numb is a just a song among other, anything from Animals might be the best part of his show.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote: The social circles of the internet and wider pink Floyd fanbase. I'm not saying they're not great lyrics they are, but it's famous for the guitar wiifm, why any other guitar players licks would impact on your enjoyment if this track I have no idea. And guitar isn't merely about "licks", it's about tone, it's about technique, it's about timing.

For me, the strength of this song is the juxtaposition between "the light" and "the dark". Roger's verse is the ominous darkness, and then Gilmour's chorus is the ethereal light shining down. Combine that with the imagery of "a distant ship smoke on the horizon" or "your lips move, but I can;t hear what you're saying, you're only coming through in waves", and the kick ass string arrangements, from spooky to light are why I love the song.

The guitar solos are great, don't get me wrong, but feel anticlimactic for me compared to the rest.
thoughts on Dave K when he plays CN?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

He's easily the best guitar player Rogers had. But that song never quite feels the same without Gilmour's tone.

But Dave K is streets ahead of Doyle Brahmall and Snowy White doing that God awful guitar duel, that was wretched, and to think there are folk that believe Roger always knows what's best

Anyway, the solo is the big finale, the pinnacle, I've never encounted anyone who didn't believe that. Obviously Flathead wouldn't say that though because he's fighting Rogers corner and having the best momeng on Rogers favoured album be a Gilmour solo wouldn't go down well.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

I think the song has more subtle, finer moments. The guitar solo is easy to latch onto, like action movies or American football. It's easy meat for the less intellectual.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:I think the song has more subtle, finer moments. The guitar solo is easy to latch onto, like action movies or American football. It's easy meat for the less intellectual.
I'd say for normal people. It's pseudo intellectuals like yourself that think you're articulate for knowing grade school words like "juxtaposition" that probably find the solo's a bit underwhelming.

But if words hold more weight than music for you get into poetry. If you can rhyme off some classical poetry you're half way to convincing people you're actually bright.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Flathead wrote:I think the song has more subtle, finer moments. The guitar solo is easy to latch onto, like action movies or American football. It's easy meat for the less intellectual.
I like these 3 things and my IQ is in the 140 range?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Wolfpack wrote:
kjek1 wrote:Even then the most popular track on The Wall is a Dave track, so much so Roger closes his own shows with it :lol:
Did Gilmour write 'Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)'? :lol:
Gilmour was at most a co-writer on 'The Wall'.
kjek1 wrote:Another brick? Who rates that as the best track on the wall? I said most popular, not the one that's best known because it's just short enough to get mainstream radio play, that in itself is an indicator of low quality. From my own personal experience another brick isn't held in too high regard by Floyd fans, where as Comfortably Numb is almost always either 1st or 2nd on the list of the greatest Floyd tracks.
You weren't writing about Floyd fans only. [-X

The best known and most popular track of 'The Wall' is its hit single 'Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)'.
Some people even name it "The Wall", as if that's the song title.
Almost everybody knows "we don't need no education".

What? Short enough to get mainstream radio play is in itself an indicator of low quality?
This includes most of the music by The Beatles. :shock:
And what to think of Pink Floyd's hit single 'See Emily Play' (1967)?
kjek1 wrote:I shouldn't be surprised by Smell the roses, Roger said on the making of WYWH DVD he still felt he could do Have A Cigar better than Harper (yeah right), I didn't think he'd actually try and do it though :lol:
You say he actually did it?
You find the vocals of 'Smell the Roses' better than Harper's vocals for 'Have a Cigar'? :lol:

I'm glad Harper did the vocals. The album outtake with Waters vocals proves it to me.
Also because Harper is playing a company boss talking to Pink Floyd. Someone outside the group.

What's next? Waters saying that he would have done better vocals for 'The Great Gig in the Sky'? :lol:
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Kerry King wrote:
kjek1 wrote: "I love you babe but you are gone, I cannot live without your love now".
This is the most beautiful sweetful lyric I have ever heard!
Even better than Nilsson's "Without You" or Roger Daltreys "Without Your Love".
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Djgilmour wrote:
Kerry King wrote: "I love you babe but you are gone, I cannot live without your love now".
This is the most beautiful sweetful lyric I have ever heard! Even better than Nilsson's "Without You" or Roger Daltreys "Without Your Love".
Sure, it's better than Schmilsson or that guy from The Who but it's still not as good as "I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now".
kjek1 wrote:
I'd say for normal people. It's pseudo intellectuals like yourself that think you're articulate for knowing grade school words like "juxtaposition" that probably find the solo's a bit underwhelming.

But if words hold more weight than music for you get into poetry. If you can rhyme off some classical poetry you're half way to convincing people you're actually bright.
Kjek1, would you like Roger Waters more if he had long, unwashed hair and was sitting shirtless and barefoot in the dirt playing tumultuous slide guitar?