1973: On the Run

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Re: 1973: On the Run

Post by lostplay »

PublicImage wrote:I find On The Run boring. But I find the "Travel Sequence" even more boring, so I'm glad they got rid of it.
duel ???
at dawn :smt067 :smt072
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

danielcaux wrote:Although I like the 'Travel Sequence' a lot I think 'On the Run' gives more "edge" to the album, it has this really paranoid feeling running through it, very disconforting piece of music, that's way I think it works better in the context of the album, it affects you in a deeper level; when the ringing clocks enter on 'Time' it's a relief, almost as if you just got out of some kind of nightmare.

edit: right now I'm hearing the Sapporo live 'Travel Sequence' 72-03-13 and there is this sound of like a train reaching its stop, slowing down its speed, what is that? a pre-recorded SFX? a synthetizer? anyway it sounds like an early "musical" idea for 'On The Run'.
Yes. I think OTR was started on its own, but slowly turned into On The Run.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I really love both On the Run & The Travel Sequence...I must say, around 1985, I thought On the Run was one of the greatest things I had ever heard (think about it, the mid-80's, and I think something from 1973 is the most awesome electronic piece of inovation :shock: )...which of course screwed me up, because a few years later I was playing around with 4-tracks and 8-tracks, and always had to have some noise-collage thing with lots of panning :lol:
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Thread necromancy alert
danielcaux wrote:Although I like the 'Travel Sequence' a lot I think 'On the Run' gives more "edge" to the album, it has this really paranoid feeling running through it, very disconforting piece of music, that's way I think it works better in the context of the album, it affects you in a deeper level; when the ringing clocks enter on 'Time' it's a relief, almost as if you just got out of some kind of nightmare.

edit: right now I'm hearing the Sapporo live 'Travel Sequence' 72-03-13 and there is this sound of like a train reaching its stop, slowing down its speed, what is that? a pre-recorded SFX? a synthetizer? anyway it sounds like an early "musical" idea for 'On The Run'.
I would say this maybe feeds into the way Darkside evolved from Eclipse, the version we first hear is IMHO more continuous in tone inline with the Floyds previous "epics". I think the Travel Sequence was intended to sound a lot like Breath(similar guitar sound most obviously) but speeded up representing the pace of life picking up after that relaxing opening. As it evolved into Darkside I think each track developed more of an individual character and rather than moving slowly in tone there was more of a direct opposition so On the Run really standing out between Breath and Time as a more unsettling and difference piece of music is more effective.

If you listen to the live Travel Sequence I think you actually hear a similar change happen over the course of 72, as the year goes by it starts to sound less and less like a speeded up Breath with Gilmours guitar playing becoming less smooth and more brutal/choppy. Purely as a peice of music I do [preffer these versions, especially the 30/5/1972 version(the Scotsman CWTAE show), really dramatic with a much more clearly defined form. I spose it also maybe shows you another problem, with that more clearly defined form of several buildups to peaks in intensity the track is over 7 mins long, too long to fit on the album.
Fingals Cave
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Fingals Cave »

The Travel Sequence was something I didn't get to actually hear for many years although I knew of it's existence. When I finally heard the Brighton Dome show I wasn't disappointed with it. It's a great piece of space rock jamming. But you can see why it was replaced, as On The Run was a much bolder piece of music, and the dread paranoia vibe really fit much better on the album. It's like an early techno track! The jungle version of it on Dub Side of the Moon expanded on the idea brilliantly.