1972: Early Mix of 'Dark Side'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

1972: Early Mix of 'Dark Side'

Post by theaussiefloydian »

So...
Being a terrible person with limited funds, I downloaded bits and pieces of the 'Immersion' box sets, as I've recently gotten back into the Floyd. One thing that's stood out in my mind is the early mix of 'Dark Side of the Moon', the one mixed in '72. I quite like it, actually.
Discuss.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Re: 1972: Early Mix of 'Dark Side'

Post by DarkSideFreak »

theaussiefloydian wrote:So...
Being a terrible person with limited funds, I downloaded bits and pieces of the 'Immersion' box sets, as I've recently gotten back into the Floyd. One thing that's stood out in my mind is the early mix of 'Dark Side of the Moon', the one mixed in '72. I quite like it, actually.
Discuss.
I like it too though some parts sound a bit unfinished. One thing is obvious - DSOTM could have ended up sounding quite different, and it could have worked just as well! The material was just too strong.

I think "Money" is closer to how David envisaged it, more guitar parts, overall wetter sound.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

DarkSideFreak wrote: I like it too though some parts sound a bit unfinished. One thing is obvious - DSOTM could have ended up sounding quite different, and it could have worked just as well! The material was just too strong.

I think "Money" is closer to how David envisaged it, more guitar parts, overall wetter sound.
Hmm. The most interesting bit for me is hearing 'Great Gig in the Sky' without the vocals (Alan Parsons made the right call there), the different tape loops in 'Money' (curious detail to change) and the version of 'Us and Them' presented there. I'm glad they cleaned up some of the segues though - 'Any Colour You Like' to 'Brain Damage' on the '72 mix is a sad segue indeed!
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

theaussiefloydian wrote:
DarkSideFreak wrote: I like it too though some parts sound a bit unfinished. One thing is obvious - DSOTM could have ended up sounding quite different, and it could have worked just as well! The material was just too strong.

Hmm. The most interesting bit for me is hearing 'Great Gig in the Sky' without the vocals (Alan Parsons made the right call there), the different tape loops in 'Money' (curious detail to change) and the version of 'Us and Them' presented there. I'm glad they cleaned up some of the segues though - 'Any Colour You Like' to 'Brain Damage' on the '72 mix is a sad segue indeed!
I confess I'm not hearing a big diff between Any Colour/Brain Damage on the 72 and 73 mixes. However Us and Them/Any Colour definitely sounds rough.

Agree about the other points though. Money also had a register chime somewhere in the middle of a verse!
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

The segue between 'Any Colour You Like' and 'Brain Damage' is slightly different. As the former ends, a keyboard lingers playing a different chord than the first chord of the latter, which sounds a little messy.