The obscured post Division Bell era

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
ultimatefloydian
Axe
Axe

The obscured post Division Bell era

Post by ultimatefloydian »

I felt like we should really get the ball rolling on this rather criminally unknown time span of Floydian history, so here we go!

I found this interview for those who haven't seen it with Rick in 1996 discussing some interesting stuff..like the expectations of the next Floyd album after the Division Bell. As well as some kind of rift that was happening between Dave and Nick.
http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/133.htm

As well as various interviews from Dave (the first link with a new audio interview that wasn't there before):
https://kdarchive.wordpress.com/2013/02 ... interview/
http://www.pink-floyd.org/artint/dgqm0699.htm

Besides Dave honorably embracing family, I have a nagging suspicion there was something more considering there has been the rumors of 1998 aborted sessions (if that's even valid). Even with all of that aside, who was the one who officially called it a day for the new Floyd?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: The obscured post Division Bell era

Post by moom »

Those mysterious 2000-2001 sessions... I've only heard about them somewhere, that's it :(
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Somewhere around 2000 I bought a tribute album to Pink Floyd (I can't remember the performer though) that had the band bio printed in the booklet, which said they were "currently working on a new album". So there were informal reports scattered all over the place, but apparently no official information. But where there's smoke there's fire, I guess. Can anyone confirm or deny the ~2000 session from an official source?
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

I've never even heard of any PF sessions taking place in 2000-2001, but holy crap that would be an awesome thing to find! Let's get digging!
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

I just found this chat-interview with David Gilmour from 16 March 2000.

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/interviews/tr ... -mar-2000/

One of the questions was: "I would ask him if there is an album planned to follow Division Bell and a tour to follow Pulse?"

Gilmour: We have no plans at the moment to make a Pink Floyd record or to do a Pink Floyd tour. But I think I’ll be back in the studio before long but whether it’s the Pink Floyd project or a solo project I dont know yet."

So my best guess is, there was no sessions or "current workings on a new album" in the year 2000.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

jtull wrote:So my best guess is, there was no sessions or "current workings on a new album" in the year 2000.
Or Gilmour just didn't want the public to know about such plans.
Maybe because of not being sure if such plans would really result into a new album.
I mean, even if he would have cautiously said there were some intentions,
headlines would go: "NEW PINK FLOYD ALBUM".
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Had Twitter been around back then, Polly would have made it public in no time.
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

Hudini wrote:Had Twitter been around back then, Polly would have made it public in no time.
8)

p.s Some discussion about those ghost sessions from the 2000/2001:

Thread:" What a post Division Bell album would've sounded like"

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24036