The Wall LIVE in Berlin

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

DoctorFloyd wrote:There seems to be a prevalence of the former on this forum.
Stop complaining :lol:
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

add to that the people who complain about people complaining now thats a number...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm just glad that people have stopped complaining about me for the moment :lol:
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

mosespa wrote:I'm just glad that people have stopped complaining about me for the moment
That damn Mosespa, i'd like to give him a beating so much :lol:
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

jedi with crazy diamonds wrote:
add to that the people who complain about people complaining now thats a number...
Is that you complaining now, Jedi ? :lol:
WishIwasthere
Hammer
Hammer

Post by WishIwasthere »

This wasn't the greatest thing that Roger has ever done, but it wasn't all that bad either.

It has some good moments but I feel it looks a little dated.

But Hey... I never knew that Cindi Lauper had such fine looking legs :shock:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The Berlin show was pretty interesting. Roger took risks, which I wish he'd do more often; this was the last time his shows weren't methodical "same as the original" performances. I've only listened to the live album, though, so maybe the full extent of how embarassing it was didn't hit me.

I might try to find a copy of the TV broadcast, just so I can see it as it happened first (before I get the DVD). Also, I want to see that tapdance Roger did during the power failiure.
Meneer Jansen
Knife
Knife

Post by Meneer Jansen »

Tenniru wrote:[...] I've only listened to the live album, though, so maybe the full extent of how embarassing it was didn't hit me.
[semi of-topic] And... Is 'Goodye cruel world' copy-pasted from the 1979 studio masters?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If you have to ask that question, you've obviously not been listening to either version.

The phrasing of both is slightly different, the tone of Roger's voice is different.

I don't see HOW anyone could think they're the same recording.
pvdossel
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pvdossel »

I totally agree with J Ed that the CD/DVD was indeed a case of
"in-the-studio postproduction trickery" as he puts it.

I also remember the painful moment that the live sound died, and the backtrack kept running, and Roger saying something like "oh, no!" or "oh my god". I've kept my VHS tape with the live broadcast hidden in the attic, and have not looked at it ever since I taped it. My stomache still turns a 360 degrees, if I think about that moment.

Also the extremely bad and off-tune voices of one of background singers during "Mother" (don't know whether it was Stan Farber, Jim Haas or John Joyce) is still in my mind. This was all corrected on the CD/DVD.

And then there was the clearly visible lipsynch part of Roger during, correct me if I'm wrong, "Nobody Home" and "Vera".

I fully understand Roger that he had to rework this performance in the studio. It would have been an embarrassment for him if it hadn't been done. And after all, "you gotta get an album out, you owe it to the people".

If I remember correctly, some months after the live transmission, the 'corrected' version was also shown on TV.

I personally had no problems with the fact he used various artists. After all, I saw the "real" Wall twice at Earls Court in 80 and 81.

It was maybe BECAUSE I saw the show in 80 and 81, that I felt sorry for Roger when things got out of hand. After all it was not easy for Rog' to stage a show in this magnitude.
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

Sinead O'Connor is great on Mother.
henno

Post by henno »

HeckTo wrote:Sinead O'Connor is great on Mother.
its a pity she was such a bitch to work with......

i mean who the fuk does she think she is... in the presence of such greats!!.... nutjob.....
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

the is one reason to like the 1990 Wall concert: best Nobody Home EVER
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The staging is quite something...thats it.

Brian Adams? I'm not convinced he actually knows how to play the guitar; he did a fair amount of live appearances on TV around this time, and always clearly was not playing.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

It was hot, I was fatigued by the previous 30 odd hours of travelling, at some points during the show the music was barley audible, the visuals were excellent and it didn?t matter that some of the additional muso?s were 2nd rate and that there were a couple of technical hitches.
The sense of occasion was tremendous and I wouldn?t have missed it for the world ? after all 200000 people can?t be wrong.
Yes the officially released DVD has been touched up a bit ? but then pretty much every one is. If you want a pretty much true record of the actual concert try get hold of a copy of Drafsacks DVD002 ? I?ve watched it on a number of occasions and its excellent ? no bias of course