Who saw both Rog and Dave this year?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

I finally found a good shot of the pig released at the Hollywood Bowl on Oct. 5's show (for my birthday! :)

This has got to be one of the best moments at a concert ever...not only that the wind just happened to push it up past the moon, but the perfect music going with it...just gave us chills...sorry Dave this was the clincher :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PEDc-V4FI0
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Two different shows

Post by fatoldbob »

I saw both and give the edge to the Gilmour show. Echoes puts it over the top for me.

Roger's show was closer to what I would expect a Floyd show to be, big production and full multimedia experience.

David's show was closer to a great Clapton show where the emotion put into the musicianship is overwhelming. And watching David and Rick play together is pure joy.

Other than Dave Kilminster, I found both to be very entertaining. They can both tour every year for the rest of time and I'd be happy.

Maybe next year we'll get to see David backing Rick on tour for his rumoured album.
Rimmer
Axe
Axe

Post by Rimmer »

Seeing both concerts was amazing but David Gilmour's concert was far better in sound quality, light show and song choice.

Waters' lip-synched a lot of songs which spoilt what could have been a good show...
johnjohnstone
Knife
Knife

Post by johnjohnstone »

Saw David Gilmour at RAH and Roger Waters at Hyde Park

Musically, David Gimour was brilliant, especially with Rick Wright on Echoes (the light show was awesome, and Rick really rocked). Enjoyed the whole set, especially with Bowie on "Arnold Layne"

Ddn't expect Roger Waters to be so good, he delivered the soul of PF, loved "Set The Controls". The sound quality was fantastic.

Unfortunately, it was PF in two halves - just makes you think that, together, they still have so much to offer ....
Machina
Blade
Blade

Post by Machina »

I prefered Rogers concert.I found Dave's gig a bit boring and it cost me 5 times as much for the ticket.
Machina
Blade
Blade

Post by Machina »

Rimmer wrote:Seeing both concerts was amazing but David Gilmour's concert was far better in sound quality, light show and song choice.

Waters' lip-synched a lot of songs which spoilt what could have been a good show...
You didn't go an see Roger .So you're a liar.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

I don't understand what light show at Dave's concerts people are talking about...I guess the lasers were OK, but I've seen better ones at cheap PF tribute laser shows. And he didn't have surround-sound or a sound system as good as Roger's, so I'm not sure why anyone would say the sound was better. Musically I can understand Gilmour winning, but better lights and sound?
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Freddie Mercury wrote:I don't understand what light show at Dave's concerts people are talking about...I guess the lasers were OK, but I've seen better ones at cheap PF tribute laser shows. And he didn't have surround-sound or a sound system as good as Roger's, so I'm not sure why anyone would say the sound was better. Musically I can understand Gilmour winning, but better lights and sound?
Sound I'd say was a draw. Sound is really dependant on where you sit anyway. Quad isn't that big a deal to me, and actually was a bit of a distraction because the left surround speaker was too close and too loud to my seats. Perfect Sense was painfully loud during the lauch segment. But when the band launched the show with "In the Flesh", the main PA was pounding. Sounded awesome.

Lights I have to give to Gilmour. It comes down to the fact that Marc Brickman is the best lighting director in the business. He did a genius job of scaling the Pink Floyd light show down the small venues that David played this year. The lights during Echoes were insane.

Roger's show seemed more like a Pink Floyd show. Video has always been an essential element of a Pink Floyd concert. David show was more a stellar band playing Pink Floyd songs. He wasn't trying to do a Pink Floyd type show, which is why he went for the smaller venues.

So each was great in it's own right. I'll take them both, and as many times as I can see them.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Freddie Mercury wrote:And he didn't have surround-sound or a sound system as good as Roger's, so I'm not sure why anyone would say the sound was better.
Gilmour chose as his venues mostly old woodstructured victorian-era concert halls
at least that describes Massey Hall in Toronto, where I saw him
it wasnt about having a state-of-the-art sound system,
it was about the natural acoustics of the venue, which in the case of Massey Hall are legendary
and at this point in my life, I'm more interested in that sort of an organic sound experience than some hi-tech circus
its also more appropriate to the kind of music Dave's doing these days
he himself played a dozen different instruments, and we could hear the unique sound of every one of them
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Saw Gilmour in the RAH (thanks again Keith :wink: ) and was blown away - everything from the Venue , to the Musicians and of course Echoes were superb.

Saw Waters in Cork (Tripped Out In Cork DVD - I WAS THERE !!!) and again was blown away - found it to be more emotive, I did almost cry.

Think Waters just edged it ....... only just - it was a photo finish.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

J Ed wrote:
Freddie Mercury wrote:And he didn't have surround-sound or a sound system as good as Roger's, so I'm not sure why anyone would say the sound was better.
Gilmour chose as his venues mostly old woodstructured victorian-era concert halls
at least that describes Massey Hall in Toronto, where I saw him
it wasnt about having a state-of-the-art sound system,
it was about the natural acoustics of the venue
Oh IC...yeah you're probably right!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Well i'm seeing Rog next year, and hopefully the other fat balding git will make it down under as well! If he doens't, grrrrrrr damn him!
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Didn't you mean fat, balding guitar god, jambo?
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

You know...

I'm jealous of all of you...

:cry:
vickyc007
Axe
Axe

Post by vickyc007 »

I saw all 3 Gilmour shows at the RAH and saw Roger at Hyde Park. I think the two shows were too different to really compare. Roger's set was amazing and was the PF experience, he tried to keep to the originality of the music, whereas David's shows were more initmate and he decided to play around with the songs. I liked them both and although there were flaws in both of them, they both blew me away.

It did really show the differences in how they both are now, though; Roger is the big theatrical type who doesnt tend to play around with the arrangements whereas David is all about the music and prefers to try new things. I can't see them doing a tour together as they seem total opposites.