?50 to see Roger at NEC?!

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

How much are the arena's charging Roger Waters to play there? Then also, how much is the electricity cost for powering a show such as that?
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Further to what Ive already said I think its worth pointing out that you are not just going to see a Roger Waters show, you also get Snowy White (a man that is a piece of Floyd history that actually clocked up more miles than Syd Barrett!!! and is a respected artist in his own right, does no one else remember Bird Of Paradise breaking the top 5?), you get Andy Fairweather Lowe (erm, Amen Corner werent too shabby and hes also Eric Claptons right hand man!), Graham Broad (Procol Harum were alright werent they?), Katie Kissoon (OK I'm not sure I can forgive my mum for inflicting Sugar Candy Kisses on me repeatedly as a kid but Im sure others didnt have to share that pain and can respect her work), PP Arnold (so, no one going to mention the Small Faces then? you know, one of the most respected British groups of the 60s??, I can understand a few of the folks here letting the Electric Dreams Soundtrack slip, theyd be wrong to tho as it also features Jeff Lynne and Giorgio Moroder, and last but not least Phil Oakey, even tho the Human League were crap by then), and how about the possibility of Nick Mason also appearing? He was in a pretty good band too!! Comparing the Waters shows with such trite uninspired lineups of quiz winners and backhandered advantaged folk whos only idea of performing is to tone down Val Doonicans act is absurd!!
And you will see John Carin who is a vetren of 2 Pink Floyd world tours and Rog's son Harry who lookied like a garden gnome at their cork show. and you will get to see the lights and fireworks he couldent use at his cork show because he was in a tent
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Yes , OK ... we know what you're getting for our money in terms of the show - that's not the arguement - the arguement is a 33% price hike since the Cork show for a much , much , much (can't stress it enough) worse venue. For those who haven't been , The Point is nothing more than a cold brick shed - originally built to house Railway carriages in 18-o-splash - it has no acoustics to speak of and the seating is a complete and utter joke.
Northerntube
Axe
Axe

Post by Northerntube »

drafsack wrote:
simpledumbpilot wrote:Further to what Ive already said I think its worth pointing out that you are not just going to see a Roger Waters show, you also get Snowy White (a man that is a piece of Floyd history that actually clocked up more miles than Syd Barrett!!! and is a respected artist in his own right, does no one else remember Bird Of Paradise breaking the top 5?), you get Andy Fairweather Lowe (erm, Amen Corner werent too shabby and hes also Eric Claptons right hand man!), Graham Broad (Procol Harum were alright werent they?), Katie Kissoon (OK I'm not sure I can forgive my mum for inflicting Sugar Candy Kisses on me repeatedly as a kid but Im sure others didnt have to share that pain and can respect her work), PP Arnold (so, no one going to mention the Small Faces then? you know, one of the most respected British groups of the 60s??, I can understand a few of the folks here letting the Electric Dreams Soundtrack slip, theyd be wrong to tho as it also features Jeff Lynne and Giorgio Moroder, and last but not least Phil Oakey, even tho the Human League were crap by then), and how about the possibility of Nick Mason also appearing? He was in a pretty good band too!! Comparing the Waters shows with such trite uninspired lineups of quiz winners and backhandered advantaged folk whos only idea of performing is to tone down Val Doonicans act is absurd!!
And you will see John Carin who is a vetren of 2 Pink Floyd world tours and Rog's son Harry who lookied like a garden gnome at their cork show. and you will get to see the lights and fireworks he couldent use at his cork show because he was in a tent
you do realize that 90% of the people paying for RW tickets don't know - nor care very much - who these people are right? The notion of an evening with Graham Broad isn't pushing ticket prices up. I am sure he is paid respectably as a musician on a major tour but put Jon Carin or Andy Fairweather-Low on a solo gig in North America and you're looking at $12 tickets at a small nightclub.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Northerntube wrote:you do realize that 90% of the people paying for RW tickets don't know - nor care very much - who these people are right?
If I thought people knew I wouldnt point it out. Hmm, logic train not stopping at this station then. If they dont care then fair enough, thats up to them, why they choose to go to a concert and not be bothered about whos performing and yet show concern at the cost for a lineup that they dont care about is just folks being a bit mental basically.
Northerntube
Axe
Axe

Post by Northerntube »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Northerntube wrote:you do realize that 90% of the people paying for RW tickets don't know - nor care very much - who these people are right?
If I thought people knew I wouldnt point it out. Hmm, logic train not stopping at this station then. If they dont care then fair enough, thats up to them, why they choose to go to a concert and not be bothered about whos performing and yet show concern at the cost for a lineup that they dont care about is just folks being a bit mental basically.
fair enough. The pedigree involved is impressive but this hardly an all-star band, even once you realize who is in it. But even if you think it is, Roger could have a band of completely unheard-of musicians and it wouldn't affect the ticket prices much, if at all.

Your thesis is: ticket prices are such because Roger has such a high profile band, so the punter pays a premium for their excellence. I don't think the presence of PP Arnold or Andy Fairweather-Low justifies a money grab.
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Northerntube wrote:Your thesis is: ticket prices are such because Roger has such a high profile band, so the punter pays a premium for their excellence. I don't think the presence of PP Arnold or Andy Fairweather-Low justifies a money grab.
No thesis at all, people will go because its a Roger Waters show, just pointing out that you get more for your money than just that. The ticket prices are what they are, might as well take a glass half full approach. With the lineup appearing on that stage I think its reasonable.
Northerntube
Axe
Axe

Post by Northerntube »

simpledumbpilot wrote:The ticket prices are what they are, might as well take a glass half full approach.
right on. More power to ya!
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

I paid ?56:50 for the M.E.N gig obviously we would all like to pay less but i am willing to pay the price to see the acts i like especially when it's not every year you get the oportunity to do so .. like with dave and rodge.. can you imagine the price if the floyd got back together :shock:
also if you think rodge is expensive what about the ticket prices of some other acts like mad donna and christina aguilara her ticket prices at the M.E.N the other week were ?40 to ?75 ( i was tempted :lol: ) the ?75 was the equivalent to rogers 50 quid seats and thats without the booking fees..