Stalking Syd Barrett

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Stalking Syd Barrett

Post by Syd'sSexy »

Hey Astral Cowgirl! Great to see you here! :)
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I like the fact that aside from Moom all these SydStalkers are apparantly hot babes
say did yknow I also wear a paisley shirt in which i look a jerk?
and im not dead yet though I am a bit of a recluse
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

J Ed wrote:I like the fact that aside from Moom all these SydStalkers are apparantly hot babes
Sorry, but I don't like that word, "stalker". Kinda offences me, makes me a feel like a bad guy. Perhaps, "meeter".
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

J Ed wrote:I like the fact that aside from Moom all these SydStalkers are apparantly hot babes
J Ed, with all due respect, I would hardly consider myself to be a "SydStalker." If you consider a fan of Syd Barrett's solo and Pink Floyd era music to be a stalker, thus implying some type of criminal behaviour, I think you should redefine the terms. Technically, a stalker is someone who obsessively follows or constantly observes another person. I am simply a fan who appreciates the music, not some fucking obsessed pervert! Excuse my French. :lol:
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

J Ed wrote:I also wear a paisley shirt in which i look a jerk?
:smt043 :smt042 :smt044 [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-]
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Moom wrote:Sorry, but I don't like that word, "stalker". Kinda offences me, makes me a feel like a bad guy. Perhaps, "meeter".
youre right the word stalker does carry a negative value judgement
"meeter" (if it were a word) is much more value neutral, even kind of positive, the world could use more "meeters", thered be less misunderstandings & conflict
but the word "to meet" defines a much wider range of personal interactions then what youre arguing for the right to engage in

you specifically want to start a conversation with a man who has repeatedly and on the record let it be known he doesnt want fans approaching him at all, let alone starting any conversations
thats a more specific form of interaction, and the verb that most precisely defines that is "to stalk"

sorry thats just the way the English language has evolved in recent years, the concept that there are stalkers is dependent on a legal concept enshrined in some Western constitutions that individuals have a right to privacy

another Western legal concept you might want to research before trying to "meet" some idol who has already said he doesnt want to be "met" is something called a "Restraining Order"
violators of a "Restraining Order" risk jail time and a permanent criminal record

and heres yet another legal concept that has emerged in the last couple of years that the womenfolk ought to be aware of:
"No Means No"
you ladies want to be careful posting on a public Internet Forum that you think that sometimes "No" secretly means "Yes", a resourceful Defence Attorney could dig that up and use it against you
Astral Cowgirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Astral Cowgirl »

J Ed wrote:
Moom wrote:Sorry, but I don't like that word, "stalker". Kinda offences me, makes me a feel like a bad guy. Perhaps, "meeter".
youre right the word stalker does carry a negative value judgement
"meeter" (if it were a word) is much more value neutral, even kind of positive, the world could use more "meeters", thered be less misunderstandings & conflict
but the word "to meet" defines a much wider range of personal interactions then what youre arguing for the right to engage in

you specifically want to start a conversation with a man who has repeatedly and on the record let it be known he doesnt want fans approaching him at all, let alone starting any conversations
thats a more specific form of interaction, and the verb that most precisely defines that is "to stalk"

sorry thats just the way the English language has evolved in recent years, the concept that there are stalkers is dependent on a legal concept enshrined in some Western constitutions that individuals have a right to privacy

another Western legal concept you might want to research before trying to "meet" some idol who has already said he doesnt want to be "met" is something called a "Restraining Order"
violators of a "Restraining Order" risk jail time and a permanent criminal record

and heres yet another legal concept that has emerged in the last couple of years that the womenfolk ought to be aware of:
"No Means No"
you ladies want to be careful posting on a public Internet Forum that you think that sometimes "No" secretly means "Yes", a resourceful Defence Attorney could dig that up and use it against you
The problem here is nobody ever heard from Roger out of his own mouth say he wanted to be left alone all the time till the end of time, "on the record" it's all hearsay. His relatives might have passed on the message but you never actually heard it yourselves word for exact word coming out of his mouth. The other thing is if he wanted to press charges he would have...you would have heard about it but he never did.

No does not secretly mean yes. If Roger wanted to speak he did, if he didn't he simply said goodbye and shut the door...he was selective and may I add stern, he wasn't some bumbling retard, he had a few issues, it wasn't like he couldn't look after himself at all. One look from that man you knew he wasn't in the mood for a chat. For those who did engage in conversation and didn't get turned away, well what do you call that? if no means no, why on these other days Roger permitted conversation? Why didn't he shut the door? Why didn't he call the police? Why did he sign an autograph? Why did he care?

I have never stalked the man...I don't even live in the same country or would be bothered myself to visit his place when he was alive. I just love Syd Barrett, I'm sad that he came to be the way he did, what a beautiful man he was. I think alot of fans just wanted to make it better for him.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Yea well Barrett himself was a babe, but how could we be stalking him from across the sea? :lol:

The way you come across on here, you're probably a jerk no matter what you wear.

If you're a recluse and you say recluses don't like to be bothered, then we'll just ignore your comments and leave you alone.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Astral Cowgirl wrote:The problem here is nobody ever heard from Roger out of his own mouth say he wanted to be left alone all the time till the end of time, "on the record" it's all hearsay.
You just dont´t get it, do you ? Would it been better, if you´re shot in front of his door. Do you actually need to be shot before you realise you´re dead. Get a life.
The guy wanted to left alone, do you need an official announcement in every sunday´s paper.
Astral Cowgirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Astral Cowgirl »

zag wrote:
Astral Cowgirl wrote:The problem here is nobody ever heard from Roger out of his own mouth say he wanted to be left alone all the time till the end of time, "on the record" it's all hearsay.
You just dont´t get it, do you ? Would it been better, if you´re shot in front of his door. Do you actually need to be shot before you realise you´re dead. Get a life.
The guy wanted to left alone, do you need an official announcement in every sunday´s paper.
"Get a life"....a bit rude and aggressive there, it would have been people like you he would have shunned. Yeah I get it Zag, but I tend to think it's all been blown out of proportion.

Ok Zag, why on earth did he chat to people and fans sometimes?
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Astral Cowgirl wrote:Ok Zag, why on earth did he chat to people and fans sometimes?
"Chat" ? :lol: I have never heard (from any reliable source that is) that he really wanted to start any conversations with any "true Sydfans", or other "adults" about his past lifes, being hot and adorable popstar, and how many guitars were in his basement and so on. The only people he felt who were normally behaving, were children in his neighborhood. Meeting them is his daily walks he "chatted" naturally and witty to make them chuckle and laught. And they liked Roger for that. Kids didn´t have a clue about how famous he used to be and later as they grew up didn´t care either. I tend to belive he was happy with that.
Why´s that a problem ?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Oh crap, another astral forum delusional. :?

Basically Barrett never said "leave me alone" because he was so reclusive that he never approached the papers or whatever. Now yes he might have talked to the occasional fan, but only about art or his artwork, he certainly didn't share dirty secrets from the early days of Floyd or whatever.

Infact I'm sure I've heard more from his family than from him himself.
Astral Cowgirl
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Astral Cowgirl »

my breakfast. wrote:Oh crap, another astral forum delusional. :?

Basically Barrett never said "leave me alone" because he was so reclusive that he never approached the papers or whatever. Now yes he might have talked to the occasional fan, but only about art or his artwork, he certainly didn't share dirty secrets from the early days of Floyd or whatever.

Oh please....I never said Roger wanted to share his "dirty secrets'.

But to think one would stop communication with every fan that just wanted to to wish him well and hello is just ridiculous and not in human nature!
Metal Mickey

Post by Metal Mickey »

my breakfast. wrote:Oh crap, another astral forum delusional. :?

I'm sorry my dear but you must have very low self-esteem to be berating the comments made by some of the people in this thread. Clearly, you also enjoy stirring the pot because why else would you be posting in a "Syd Barrett" thread when you don't seem to be a fan of his work at all.

Just like you have a right to your opinion, so do the others and degrading their opinions is just mean spirited, as is the name calling. I don't post that much on this forum, but after reading about 8 pages of you just ripping a new one for all those that have a different way of seeing things, I had to speak up! Sure there are some "different" individuals who worship Barrett to a frightening degree, but the same can be said for any other recording artist, musician or entertainer...that kind of devotion is not solely reserved for Syd Barrett.

You should really think twice about who you call "delusional" especially if you do not know them...it's called common decency. It may surprise you to know that the majority of those that admire him do so b/c of the music he made and not because he was a "mad genius" who was in touch with the universe and all that crap. So get off your high horse and give it a rest...it's getting rather old!

BTW, I find it hard to believe that if you had passed Roger Barrett on the street in Cambridge and had a camera handy, that you would not have taken a quick shot - you know you would have and many others would have as well...it's just a natural human response in a moment of amazement. Anyway, it doesn't really matter anymore now, does it? The man is gone and these silly fights about whether it was right or wrong to bother Roger in his twilight years are becoming more and more rediculous, for obvious reasons.

Just enjoy the tunes and relax!
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

Astral Cowgirl wrote: But to think one would stop communication with every fan that just wanted to to wish him well and hello is just ridiculous and not in human nature!
Agreed. If that were the case he would have never OPENED HIS DOOR!