Worst Floyd songs

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

It doesn't matter if you can reevaluate it, it was still an awful song in any respect. That's just water with no glass my friend, you need a good template (or holder) before you can appreciate the point of it (the water.)

So come on, we have Corporal Clegg and A Spanish Peice as the firsttwo out of the all time top 10 worst Floyd songs list so get those votes in.

I haven't heard A Spanish Peice yet. Is it on Zabritski point or something?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

woops, that was bad spelling. I meant piece on all occasions.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

" A Spanish Piece" is on the MORE soundtrack, and most of the other tracks are actually pretty good.
Rick_Nick_David_Roger_Syd

I like them all

Post by Rick_Nick_David_Roger_Syd »

I like all Pink Floyd songs, some better than others but I like them all because when you listen to a Pink Floyd Album the whole thing is like ONE BIG SONG
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Is More worth getting? I got obscured by clouds the other day and thought bits of it were brilliant, but does More look bad in comparisson.

I have all Floyd CD's except The delicate sound of thunder, More, Relics and Zabritszki point. Are they worth getting atall?

Oh, another dreadful song i forgot to mention last time is the song Take It Back off the album TDB. That was pretty pish.

I was actually listening to that album recently, and to be honest, it was alright eh? It seemed to be a bit of a rehash of old ideas, but it worked a lot more succesfully than AMLOR did. Although when it was bad it was really bad (Keep Talking comes to mind.)

I listened to AHM again recently, it has a total of 2 good songs (S68 and AHM by the way.) But that song If was dreadful. I dunno what Waters was thinking. It comes between 2 brilliant songs aswell. Oh, i don't like FOS either. That's why it receives my award for The Most Inconsistant Floyd album that features Roger Waters.

Oh, as for the one bi song thing, it's really irritating when you know that the part on the CD is when the record would have needed turned over because that's when they have the only proper pause. This is most notable before Money on DSOTM. Irritating that.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

I happen to like "More" quite alot. Like their other soundtrack albums it is very experimental. Gilmour has a strong presence and you can see how his influence changed the direction of the band. The highlights being "Cirrus Minor", "Nile song", Cymbaline, "Green is the color" and of course "Quicksilver". This was actually released before Ummagumma and is a nice group effort which makes it kind of surprising that Ummagumma was such a individual type of recording.
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

I've always thought that "Fat Old Sun", was the best song on AHM by a very wide margin. But if we all had the same opinions, what would be the point in forums? The whole album is very underrated though, and is usually dismissed by Pink Floyd fans and members alike, it deserves better.
As far as the MORE soundtrack goes, the album is worth buying for tracks like "Green Is The Colour", "Cymbaline", and "The Nile Song". The instrumentals aren't bad either.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Thanks for the advice, i may buy more tomorrow then.

Ok, judgment time, what did everyone here think of TFC? I have to say, it was bloody good, Waters vocals were brilliant, the lyrics were brilliant and aside from Not Now John and Paranoid eyes the album as a whole was really pretty bloody good. Although i have to say, the pros and cons of hitchhiking was better. Waters did brilliantly with that.

Oh, is Radio Kaos good, i've got the other waters albums but i though ATD was a bit pish.
quicksilver
Hammer
Hammer

Post by quicksilver »

TFC is brilliant for a couple of reasons:

1. The lyrics are rivoting and the emotion that Roger sings them with is incredible; Listen to "two suns" and read the lyrics-absolutely brilliant.

2. Considering the fact that Dave and Roger were barely speaking at the time, Daves guitar is also brilliant. It's very raw and strong and as emotionally played as Rogers lyrics are sung. It complements Rogers voice really well.

I think Pros and Cons is Rogers best solo record by far. But I don't think it's better than TFC because there's no Dave. I separate the Floyd and solo stuff in my mind. But there is Eric and that helped. Although Lyrically His other solo efforts are okay.....In my opinion they were missing something musically. I did see Roger during his Radio KAOS tour and it was fantastic.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Ok, i now own More and i heard this legendary "Spanish piece." That to is a contendor for the worst floyd song, up there with The New Machine.

Oh, i noticed that stiggs guy who on my opinion must have the weakest most sentimental music taste ever (liking paranoid eyes cause of it's meaning. it was still a crap song) never replied again. Interesting point that.

Anyway, yeah, ASP is bad and to be honest the entire More album was pretty bad.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Whatever

Post by Stiggs »

Dear David Smith:

You're a 16 year old English kid who uses this forum to put his ideas up for other people to read. You have the right to say whatever you want, as do I, and everyone else. I put my opinions, my ideas up here, and you seem to think that it makes you cooler to mock my opinions. Well, not my opinions, ANYONE WHO THINKS DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU. You're an immature, self riteous (that means you cram your opinions down other people's throats, I'm willing to bet u didn't know that), and downright not smart enough to understand that you're ideas of things aren't universally accepted by everyone else. I ignored your other post because you're some punk 16 year old british baby that I will never meet or see or hear of, so why would I care what you say on this forum? It's just reading letters on a webpage. Belittling me on a website means nothing, because you're just like every other moron out there who makes fun of people because they're different than you. Yes I liked titanic. Yes I like that song on The Final Cut that u hate so much....what was it, Gunner's Dream? I forgot already. But you know what? I'm not the only person who does. There are lots more like me out there. And (unfortunately) there are more like you out there. It's good that at least you and I can agree that 2 things are good (Pink Floyd in general and weed) but your snotty and selfish attitude makes me glad that I'm not as dumb as you make yourself out to be.
Have a good day/blunt
Stiggs

Oh yeah worst songs...hmm....anything from Piper At The Gates cept Bike and Astronomy Domine, all of Saucerful of Secrect cept the title track and Set The Controls, Candy and a Currant Bun, and Point Me At The Sky.
I don't consider "The Gold It's In The...." a Pink Floyd song, if you've listened to it, it sounds nothing like Pink Floyd other than the vocals...it sounds like an old school Lynyrd Skynyrd song or something, but it's still an okay song.
Last edited by Stiggs on Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

The worst Floyd tunes in my opinion are Seamus, Grand Vizer's Garden Party, Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk, and several on the Wall....speaking of which, someone said TDB was a bit of a re-hash of ideas...I would suggest a closer listen to the Wall, I think you'll find alot of repetition there as well which doesn't seriously cheapen it but it sure doesn't spare it from criticism either. Can't say much about TFC because I've only heard it a few times but my impression was it wasn't all that great....neither are parts of MLOR.
Prkl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Prkl »

Seamus or A New Machine... Actually I don't think A New Machine even classifies as a "song".
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

Dear Stiggs

Is edinburgh in England? No so i'm guessing your an american that can't tel the scotish capital from the back of your own arse. People disagree with me, that makes them british. hmm, and Britain is a nice part of england. Do you know Wales and Ireleand exist? Bet you didn't. And guess what, i know Canada and Mexico are there, what does that say about us?

No i don't think it's cool to mock someone else's opinions in a forum, but however, if they start going on about how you're missing the point in something and sarcasstically conrgradulate them on it then it's my duty to reply. Apart from you name one person who's opinions i have mocked. I know what Self riteous means, education has improved in the last few years you know, and you doupting me doesn't matter, i know the meanings of your words yet i'm willing to bet you don't know what a "chib" is.

Youclaim it doesn't matter what my opinions are, well screw it, why are you on a forum with all these other people if you're not willing to consider other opinions?

"Not downright smart enough to understand that your ideas aren't universally accepted by everyone else" Hmm, name one idea i've had that i've ever claimed to be accepted by everyone else. All ideas are accepted even if they're not appreciated, unless you were to claim i can't have an opinion, which you haven't so that means nothing.

My ideas for bad songs were my ideas if this is what it's about, my idea for braveheart and titanic were my ideas, and wether or not you agree with them you have to accept that they are legitamite ideas. I don't care if they're not universally accepted, i think it's fairly safe to say that no ideas are. I don't think i'm great for slagging you on a website, but look back upon your responces to be, they all slagged me off so that was a comeback, especially as you never replied last time so i didn't want to let you think you'd won. It's unfortunite that you think that anyone who disagrees with you instantly disagrees with everyone, wow, i slagged titanic, that said a lot about the people who liked it eh?

"You slagging PATGOD hurt my feelings cause i liked that album so you're slagging everyone different to you" bloody pathetic. It's unfortunite there's a lot of people like you out there who shoot down anyone that doesn't agree with everything you say by pretending to be on a little highhorse looking down upon us.

You know, if you accepted ideas instead of calling them an attack on you, or atleast set the record straught, i called your music water without a glass, you like sentimental crap with no good template to hold it together, just like water with no glass. Now rather than defending this accusation you refer to me as an english punk or something.

The gunner dream or something? You know perfectly well it was paranoid eyes, the gunners dream was good, paranoid eyes was pish cause it barely had a tune.

Oh, i don't smoke weed, nice of you to steryotype 16 yearolds in this way, but we're all very individual now.

You know, i don't like arguing with people, but i think you have to accept that everyone has an opinion and by displaying it you're not mocking people or force feeding them the opinions displayed, if it's immature to voice an opinion then i guess that would make you a genius right? Cause you hate the idea of it enough. I say an opinion you disagree with so you call me immature and you me all this. Who's being immature there, the one who disagrees or the one who takes in really badly and says i'm missing the point of Pink Floyd.

...........................................................................................................

Oh, i don't think the wall was that much of a rehash, although i see what you mean a bit. A new Machine is THE SECOND WORST SONG EVER on MY opinion, just behind A New day by The Polyphonic Spree, a 37 minute noise.
Last edited by David Smith on Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elliptic

Soundtrack to the film "More"

Post by Elliptic »

The soundtrack to the film "more" is just That.
Its a soundtrack.
How good is Jimmy Page?
How good was the soundtrack to the film "Deathwish 2"
Movie scores have barely ever brought out the best in alot of top artists.
Why.......well maybe their hearts are not totally in it as most are commissioned to do it.Obscured by clouds may be the exception but it is in no way a true Floyd album,but I personally feel there's something on each one to warrant a purchase of both.............But thats just me.

The Devil you do-The Devil you don't :cry: