David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Stay was brilliant, it must be said
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

Post by Stiggs »

Whatever, this is meaningless squabble. No I didn't know Edinburgh is the scottish capital, then again I don't know the capitals to a lot of countries. I can't name a few because Geography isn't my strength, that's mathematics. I'm also very aware of Wales, the very southern area of Scotland. I'm also half Irish, so I'm also very aware of that country's existence. And so what I don't know where the capitals are? It's not like those facts will get me somewhere in life. Try to think of some facts that might actually make people feel dumb for not knowing them next time.
No I don't know what "chib" is, all countries have their own little quirky terms...what the hell is England's Apples and Pears? We've got our own, so what? One countries quirks are better than the rest?
I never responded to your post before because you went on the rant "making me Roger's bitch" because that was your victory. I let it slide because like I said this is meaningless quibble.
I don't really care for piper at the gates just because it's not the pink floyd style that I like. Their first two albums I really don't like just because at that time the boys didn't really have their acts together to belt out really good CDs, which in my opinion started with More (tho obscured by clouds was kinda iffy). Since when did it sound like my not really liking that album make me high on a horse? I love Dark Side like all the rest, Momentary is kinda garbage, et cetera.
Sentimental crap to you is good music to me, and just like other people, one man's crap is another's treasure.
And you go on AGAIN....paranoid eyes, gunner's dream, who the hell cares? I didn't remember the title at the time, because I don't actually have The Final Cut, I downloaded the entire CD from KazaA as one long, entire track, so I'm not aware of all the names of the songs. I download almost all their CDs that way because it makes me listen to them the whole way thru (PULSE, Roger Water's PACOHH, ITF, and KAOS are my faves)
And for the weed, that's my bad. I forgot exactly what went on in the "Poll On Marijuana".

Hey this is kinda fun. Who else wants to argue?

Anyways like I said, this is meaningless quibble. I shoulda kept my mouth shut because this typing just wasted 5 minutes of my time, nor is it really getting me anything other than kinda hungry.

And worst song ever - Scream Thy Last Scream
mosespa

Re: Worst Floyd songs

Post by mosespa »

David Smith wrote:Ok, this is a topic to express my opinion on the worst floyd songs.

10) Bring the boys back home- what the bloody hell was that? It's a mess that should have been cut from the album and replaced with when the tiger's broke free.

Given that "Bring The Boys Back Home" has been called "the central song of the album" by Roger and has the double meaning of bring soldiers home from wars and also bring back anyone whose work takes them away from their families, thus sparing other children the "absent parent" syndrome that was the first brick in Pink's wall...you seem to have no freaking idea WHAT the concept behind the album is.

This notion is supported by the fact that you would replace "Bring The Boys Back Home" with a song that is out of place in the chronology of the storyline.

It's almost as if you are expressing a dislike for Star Wars Episode II and suggesting that Lucas should have instead replaced it with The Empire Strikes Back. The storyline would lose it's continuity.

Or were you even aware that there is a storyline to The Wall?
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I never thought of the song in that way atall, cheers for clearing that up for us. And yes i am aware of the story but that still does not make a bad song good

Oh Stiggs, that Roger's bitch comment was actually surprisingly immature e.t.c and i ddn't even realise i made it up unitl i reread some off what was said earlier. Sorry :oops:

Man that poll on weed was funny at times. I don't have anything against the stuff, i just don't use it. Unlike Alcohol it does stuff for you, and you can't hit your wife after weed because as we all know, it's too bloody difficult.

You downloaded the final cut? well i didn't know that. Good on you.

Kaos? i don't have radio kaos, how good is it? i heard it was crap

Yeah, great argument but i fear it may be drawing to an end. What a shame. Any heated words i didn't really mean by the way.

Scream thy last scream, what's that on again? i have it, but i can't remember where and i can't be bothered checking.

Anyway, nice argument, hope to have another with you.
Last edited by David Smith on Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

LoL

Post by Stiggs »

Haha Dave, no problem. Using intellect is always fun. Let's hope the next argument is about how fat Dave is.
I myself don't really like alcohol. I don't like how it's really disorienting and people can make complete asses of themselves without realizing it. But I won't deny that when you're drunk off your ass stuff is just a lot more fun.
Radio Kaos is really good. Roger's got good direction in his solo career, however it's not up to par with A2D or PACOHH, but it's still nonetheless very good. Download it, I highly recommend it.
Kaos? i don't have radio kaos, how good is it? i heard it was crap
Scream Thy Last Scream I honestly don't know which album it was from, probably one of those albums that have unreleased trax on it. I downloaded it, it's just ideas, not an actual song.
Stiggs
Knife
Knife

A furthering of a point

Post by Stiggs »

Before when I mentioned England's apples and pears, this is something about America I don't like. American language, not english (which is the general term) is much stupider than I like. Watch television, everything's either news, or comedies. Studies show that vocabulary used on most TV programs are usually at a 3rd grade level. How can people be smart when they melt their brains to television? I myself watch South Park and Whose Line Is It Anyways (second fave british show to Mr. Bean), but I also watch shows like CSI (Crime Scene Investigation, I have honestly no idea if shows like that are in the UK) because I find stuff like that fascinating, they really do teach people how things work.
Getting to my point - I don't like how some people are afraid to use intelligent language, or simply don't know how. Intelligence is much more important than good looks, (no this isn't a weak attempt to hit on chicks) but apparently the entertainment industry doesn't think so.
Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Elliptic

Post by Elliptic »

Nappy-Diaper....who cares but bear in mind Roger used his Englishness(his words recently on fox hunting)on the early floyd stuff and later on produced solo material heavy with an american feel (radio kaos\pros and cons)......and yes a wee bit in the wall as well proving he too dos'nt give a toss either.

Wow are all these your guitars
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Worst Floyd songs

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

mosespa wrote: Given that "Bring The Boys Back Home" has been called "the central song of the album" by Roger and has the double meaning of bring soldiers home from wars and also bring back anyone whose work takes them away from their families, thus sparing other children the "absent parent" syndrome that was the first brick in Pink's wall...you seem to have no freaking idea WHAT the concept behind the album is.
What do you think of David Gilmour's comments on Vera and BTBBH in the ITAOT? book:

"Nor is The Wall my favourite Floyd piece (That's Wish You Were Here). There are some weaker sections - All that Vera Lynn, Bring The Boys Back Home stuff, for example."

- David Gilmour

Post by Guest »

Stiggs wrote:Before when I mentioned England's apples and pears, this is something about America I don't like. American language, not english (which is the general term) is much stupider than I like. Watch television, everything's either news, or comedies. Studies show that vocabulary used on most TV programs are usually at a 3rd grade level. How can people be smart when they melt their brains to television? I myself watch South Park and Whose Line Is It Anyways (second fave british show to Mr. Bean), but I also watch shows like CSI (Crime Scene Investigation, I have honestly no idea if shows like that are in the UK) because I find stuff like that fascinating, they really do teach people how things work.
Getting to my point - I don't like how some people are afraid to use intelligent language, or simply don't know how. Intelligence is much more important than good looks, (no this isn't a weak attempt to hit on chicks) but apparently the entertainment industry doesn't think so.
Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Shouldn't it be meld?

Don't spout that holier than though crap!
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

apples and pears? What's all that about?

I reckon 3rd grade language just sounds more natural. Few people are that articulate and fewer can express it on television because you have to connect to the whole audience and this can't be done easily so using basic irreverant language is just normal and to be honest basic language is like a universal language. Sometimes it's good to feel dumbed down because ignorance as they say is bliss.

and i checked, scream thy last scream is on no album.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:apples and pears? What's all that about?

I reckon 3rd grade language just sounds more natural. Few people are that articulate and fewer can express it on television because you have to connect to the whole audience and this can't be done easily so using basic irreverant language is just normal and to be honest basic language is like a universal language. Sometimes it's good to feel dumbed down because ignorance as they say is bliss.

and i checked, scream thy last scream is on no album.
I am reading your post and I can't help but visualise a concept in my mind's eye. I can see that £20 you dropped on the payement on a windy day and everytime you move a little further towards it to pick it up, it blows a little further away.

My point is this - the use of slang across the media (films, TV, mags etc.) and second and third rate diction and sentence forming ( :LOL: ) is just going to make those sentenced and the ability to convey ones ideas and thoughts to others that little more challenging. Keep the pressure on by making people "think" a little more so we do not become a nation or world of generally unintelligent but rich monkeys.

I aint no monkey!! :lol:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

I think that the world reached a peak in the league of language e.t.c a long time ago and since then has been on a long spiral down. Remember that apes couldn't speak (if evolution is true) and that civilisation advanced over the course of many years. I would think our peak came around the time of Shakspear, but i could be wrong. However, since then we have been heading down because it's nolonger normal to show how articulate we can be because of our "we've already been there so why go back" attitude.

Making people think is easy now, but it's because we don't think about such productive things and with a lack on censorship (which is good by the way) our freedom of speech is abused. Shows like South Park try to break down the boundries, and in doing so get a cult following. When we eventually get to grips with the concept of freedom of speech (to get out opinions heard) and stop trying to abuse it then the nations won't be so dumbed down. And lets be honest, the first film to have the f word was made after 1950 so what does that tell us? Tv had been around for years and nobody had dared use that word, now teachers can use it. We have to get to grips with the concept we created before we learn to pick the twenty pound note up with a pole or something.
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

sorry, that was a weak reply to your metaphor/ vision
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

David Smith wrote:sorry, that was a weak reply to your metaphor/ vision
I thought it was a great reply. :D

I think people in Britain are generally anti-education in general. I was talking with a man I used to work with who has travelled the world over. He told me that Britain is anti-education. Russian people are generally poor but they are a very intelligent and friendly people. It is a shame the politics the Russian and American governments pursued cast the Russins in a bad light and portrayed Russia as an evil empire.

Getting back on topic, people are just so casual and lasy these days it would seem. Just look at hand tools, for example. Some of my grandads tools are still working today even they are about 70 years old! That screwdriver I bought my dad from my local B&Q shop is not going to last that long due to disrespect, lack of care and bad English!! :lol:
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

It's because we get new technology that is capable of education itself. Why get a job when you can wrok from home? People now make millions from designing websites. Why?

We have become slaves to technology and as a result education is falling. This is all helped along with television which is becoming more and more accseable to people, anyone can appear on televsion, and we shall all be famous for fifteen minutes.

The telephone is also another example, sure, telephones are great, but this mobile culture that's sweeping the nation is a tool to dumb us down. Text messages were desingned with lazy people in mind (e.g c u @ t station) and ultimatly bringing our ability to communicate backwards. And i'm willing to bet most people on this forum (myself included) own a mobile phone.

Microwaves make it so any idiot can now prepare food. Not that it should requires brain power anyway, but is there anything easier than slipping it in the microwave for a few minutes? It encourages lazyness.

As roger put it (coincidentally, these are my thoughts but as i began writing a firgured out i could sum it up) "throw any single species to much rope and they'll fuck it up."

Although soon what we use today will be considered old fashioned, my phone is a 33;10 and is now considered a "brick." Specially as picture messaging can now be done. Sorry, but can you get lazier than that? Why step out when you can get someone else to send you a message, and a lazy attitude leads to a lazy enviroment, this is why we're so dumbed down, everything is to easy and requires less thought. Oh, by the way, television can be linked to this to, we show lazy tv shows to fit in with the public attitude, why try to change things when they're so profitable for us?