How Do You Rate Obscured By Clouds?

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Marks out of ten for Obscured By Clouds?

1 - Worst
4%
No votes
2%
2%
5 - Not Bad!
6%
9%
27%
28%
11%
10 - Best!
11%

Total votes: 93

corie
Judge!
Judge!

Re: How Do You Rate Obscured By Clouds?

Post by corie »

maybee a drug thing ... either on it at the time or need to be on while listening to :shock:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I think the quick recording time for this album is a plus

we can actually hear how they play without all the usual overdubs
and I think the songs were all written pretty much on the spot as well
Dave has been quoted (re the song Nobody Home) saying one of Rogers strengths is you can send him home with instructions to write a song, and he'll come back the next morning with a good song

after this album they fell into the habit of overworking everything, first the production of the albums, which they started dragging out for years at a time, then the songwriting
as good as Dark Side and all the rest sound Id rather have twice as many albums with half the studio gimmickry
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

J Ed wrote:I think the quick recording time for this album is a plus

as good as Dark Side and all the rest sound Id rather have twice as many albums with half the studio gimmickry
tHAT WOULD'VE BEEN NICE . MAYBEE AT LEAST SOME LIVE ALBUMS .. LIKE A NICE 77' RECORDING .
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I give it an 8 cause it's a great little album with some golden tracks on it!
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

overall i prefer More.

i really must give obscured by clouds another listen though - i haven't played it in ages.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

J Ed wrote:I think the quick recording time for this album is a plus

I agree. I know dsotm was highly successful but it always hurts that they didn't push for more new material between 72 and 74. imo, the height of their careers.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Maybe if they had pushed for more new material between those years you wouldn't regard that time period as the height of theirs careers but rather as their "mediocre halfbaked ideas" era. If the 70's are regarded as the "Golden years" for Floyd, is because they took the time to develope the songs (along with the concepts, the lyrics and the production)... just imagine how bad 'Animals' would have sounded had been released in 1975?

Floyd "talent" resided in their neuroticity not in them being natural musical "geniuses" like say Zappa or Lennon-McCartney.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Great record. Was the first PF album to hit the US Top 50 peaking at #46 (would hit the gold (500,000 copies sold PLATEAU in 1994). When I first got the cassette in July of 1987 as an 11 year old, I fell in love with the record. I only knew "Free Four" prior to this as it was on Works (which I first acquired on August 15, 1985 on cassette). Then when I heard the rest of the album, it got me through a trying 1987 (my parents got divorced, my best friend from childhood moved away but then I met my current best friend Dennis whom I have now been buds with for 20 years as of 9/9). Other standouts are Wots...Uh the Deal, Stay, Mudmen, Childhood's End, the title cut and When You're In.
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

a great listen. simple pop music to be enjoyed at face value. the last before all the bullshit that was accorded to them by the media and masses........
deadman

Post by deadman »

a wondrful album. i was so pleased to see Gilmour perform "wots the deal" on his tour.
i think it is one of floyds best non commercialized albums.
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

About as highly as this Summer in the UK...
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I voted 9. I would've voted 10 but I can't say what "the best" PF record is.

I love this record. I associate a lot of music I listen to with different times/seasons/overall mood, etc...but this is one that goes with all of them for me.

"Wot's...Uh, the Deal?" and "Childhood's End" have got to be 2 of my most favorite songs of all time.
mojoman
Blade
Blade

Post by mojoman »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:I voted 9. I would've voted 10 but I can't say what "the best" PF record is.

I love this record. I associate a lot of music I listen to with different times/seasons/overall mood, etc...but this is one that goes with all of them for me.

"Wot's...Uh, the Deal?" and "Childhood's End" have got to be 2 of my most favorite songs of all time.

i want to nuzzle you
garygreen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by garygreen »

Not that highly..only because it is one of my least listened-to PF albums... :?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I give it an 8. I like Free Four, Stay, Childhood's End and Burning Bridges. Definitely some hidden gems and I enjoy listening to the album whilst in a mellow mood.