your 10/10 albums

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: your 10/10 albums

Post by moom »

I'd like to explain my choices in short.

1. Pink Floyd - Piper, Secrets, Ummagumma, Mother, Meddle, Wish, Animals, Wall, and Cut.
I'll be short - Syd's genius > perfect mix of space/prog-rock with true British psychedelia > As experimental as anyone can get, imho > same as Saucer > A perfect vacattion album > a perfect mourning album > dark and right-into-face criticism > a story of a person > stop wars!
2. Deep Purple - Abandon (1998), In Rock (1970), Stormbringer (1974), Machine Head (1972), Perfect Strangers (1984) and The House Of Blue Light (1987)
Short on this one, too, - the best mix of their hard-rock/heaviness with truly nice bluesy melodies, also Gillan's best scream (as good as in Child In Time :D 8) In fact, he's my most fav singer ever ) > sounds like the prev. one, but with progressive-rock elements. Generally, these two are like brothers > the best mix of funk with soft- and hard-rock > album, where almost everything has become a hit, including the head-bangin' Highway Star > two of the best pop-hard-rock albums ever (the last two mentioned).
3. Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts(1971) and The Least We Can do Is Wave To Each Other(1970)
Beside PF, the best prog I've ever heard, sometimes even better than Floyds themselves , simple :D !
4. The Strokes - Is This It (2001) and Room On Fire (2003)
irresistible post-punk and rhythm'n'blues melodies (Under Control on Room On Fire being the honourable mention about r'n'b) with a) energy (on ITI) and b) elements of meditation (on ROF)
5. Albert Hammond Jnr - Yours To Keep (2006/7)
Here we have one of the key elements of The Strokes' music - one of their guitarists Albert Hammond Junior. The Strokes (on In Transit) + Velvet Underground (on Cartoon Music For Superheroes) + John Lennon (on Blue Skies) + post-punk (on the rest plus In Transit)=Yours To Keep.
6. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994), (What´s the story,) Morning Glory (1995), Be Here Now (1997), The Masterplan (1998) and Heathen Chemistry (2002).
Simple - the best Beatles/Stones/Pistols/Smiths/Stone Roses homage :D .
7. The Rolling Stones - England´s Newest Hitmakers (1964)
The best rhythm'n'blues/"white blues" ever!
8. Genesis - Genesis (1983)
Flowing melodies or beats, Phil's vocals or Tony's keyboards... One is better than another.
8. Audioslave - Audioslave (2001)
Nobody plays the way Tom Morello does!
9. The Cure - Disintegration (1989)
Just 2 words - The Cure.
10. R.E.M. - Murmur (1983), Singles Collected (1992 ? ) and Reveal (2001)
Best pre-Strokes post-punk on first 2 mentioned (SC contains B-sides as well as A-sides, covers and song infos :D ), and mellowness, even in upbeat songs, of Reveal.
11. Wolfmother - Wolfmother (2005/6)
The best hard-rock band these days, simple. And Chris Ross must be Jon Lord's son, and Lord is The Lord Of Keyboards (while Ricthie Blackmore, his comrade, is The Wizard Of Guitars, and nobody can beat their guitar/keyboards duels... well, at least before Wolfmother came to be :) )
12. Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)
Every song on this one simply makes you go with its flow.
13. Robert Plant & The Strange Sensation - Dreamland (2002)
Funny In My Mind (I Believe I'm Fixin' To Die), a rework of Bukka White's song, is one of the best psychedelic works ever, just as this album is in whole.
14.John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin member) - Sporting Life (with Diamanda Galas, 1994) and Thunderthief (2000)
Mrs Galas has a brilliant, mysterious voice, and Jones is a brilliant bassist. When they get together, they produce a hell of an album :D ! And on Thunderthief Mr Jones sounds almost as heavy as Metallica! Sure, his voice has aged, but in this context it indeed makes you adore that voice, which sounds like an oldman really trying hard to make you believe :D . Mr Jones is still so cute!!
15. Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (2002)
Sex, drugs & rock'n'roll for this band! Sadly, they gradually lost it...
16. Foo Fighters - One By One (2002)
Makes you listen and listen, till the last chord...
17. David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World (1970) and Heathen (2002)
Bowie gets as dark as ever, with only occasional but cute upbeats (such as "Black Country Rock" on THWSTW and "Slow Burn" and "Everyone Says "Hi"" on Heathen)
18. Splin (Russian band) - Reversivnaya Hronika Sobitiy/Reversive Chronicles Of Events (2004 ? )
A Russian band sounding like Radiohead, only more upbeat.
19. Sailor Moon OST - any disc :D Just because this music is as real as life itself - there's sorrow, joy, evil (different villains' themes), good, sense of danger, relaxation, loss, victory... everything.
20. Planet P Project (Tony Carey, actually) - Planet P Project (1983). The best sci-fi-rock-pop from a one-time Rainbow keyboardist :) .

I think that´s all at the moment :)

I wonder if anybody likes my selection
Last edited by moom on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
corie
Judge!
Judge!

Post by corie »

moom some good stuff and some ntgs on there :D
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

moom wrote:I wonder if anybody likes my selection
I wonder why it matters? :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Just curios :D There is stuff little people know about, and I'm ready to share :) Thanks, Corie :)
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

in fav order

1.Wish You Where Here(1975$ by The Floyd
2.Dark Side Of The Moon(1974) by the Floyd
3.Selling Enlgand By The Pund(1973) by Genesis
4.So (1986)- Peter Gabriel
5.. Pet Sounds (1966) - The Beach Boys
6.Led Zeppelin II (1969) - Led Zeppelin
7.A Momentery Lapse Of Reason(1987) by the Floyd
8.The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (1974) by Genesis
9.. Aqualung (1971) - Jethro Tull
10.The Wall (1979) by the Floyd
11.Ziggy Stardust (1972) - David Bowie
12.Broken China (1996) - Rick Wright
13.Back In Black (1980) - AC/DC
14.Ca Ira by Roger Waters
15.After the Goldrush (1970) - Neil Young
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Quadrophenia - The Who
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Just curios what choices Corie dislikes and why :) ... ?

Also'd like to add Black Sabbath - Born Again.
What do we get if we take out Blackmore, Lord, Glover and Paice of Deep Purple a la "Perfect Strangers" album? Ian Gillan - his voice and taste in music. That's why this album sounds a lot like Born Again, in which Gillan took part as Sabbath's frontman.
And if we add Black Sabbath to Ian Gillan and put a bit of hard'n'heavy (Gillan's main taste in the early 80's), we get Born Again, Sabbath's 1983 album :D .

The Bravery - debut album. Like The Killers, but better because more with the right feeling and upbeat :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

(I'm writing a new post instead of editing the prev one just to bring this topic up ;) )

Today I've listened to Paul McCartney's "Memory almost full", following the recommendation of one of my most fav music magazines, "Rovesnik".
10/10 8)

And

Depeche Mode - Violator (1990).
Nice intellectual synth-pop-rock 8) .
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

moom wrote:Depeche Mode - Violator (1990)
May pick it up sometime soon. Got the greatest hits and love 'em :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Totally 8)
I'm actually goin' to start a topic on an intellectual synth-pop-rock, about DM, Pet Shop Boys and the likes :)

Additions:

George Harrison - Electronic Sound (1969). George doin' space-rock :lol:
Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run (1973) :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

The comeback of the Moom, The Master Of Confusion :twisted:

Additions:

My Chemical romance - The Black Parade
Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Album

:D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Van Halen's first album is 10/10 for me, but god did it inspire some total shit.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

New additions:

Black Sabbath's debut
Jesus Christ Superstar, rock-opera :) .
Vera Lynn
Blade
Blade

Post by Vera Lynn »

moom wrote: I wonder if anybody likes my selection
Yes indeed! :)
Very interesting list 8) and well detailed 8)
Now , I'm curious about that group!"Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts(1971) and The Least We Can do Is Wave To Each Other(1970)" I wonder if those album are still available! I will have to make a search.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Amon Duul II's Yeti gets 10/10 from me also!