1974 - Household Objects

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Re: 1974 - Household Objects

Post by cRaB »

Hudini wrote:That's just what I was talking about. And "Money" is the only Pink Floyd song that's not in 4/4 or 3/4 time signature. It is also one of the very few songs of theirs with a notable time signature change - from 7/4 (verses and Dick Parry's solo) to triplet 4/4 (Gilmour's solo).
Mother, Interstellar, Two suns in the sunset, Saucerful, Cigar, aren't in 4/4
but there're more.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Yes, I forgot about "Mother". It does have one bar per verse in 5/4 and a time signature change to 3/4 on Gilmour's parts, but it has never been a hit as much as "Money".

The other tunes are simply syncopated. They're still in 4/4, but the counting is different.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

I was wondering if part of the idea was from the success of Money
Rogers explained the cash register tapeloop was constructed from his bouncing round shards of his wifes pottery in a shed in the back of his garden
hard to imagine that source sound being mistook for a cash register, yet it worked perfectly
maybe he felt that tapeloop was the main reason the song was such a hit?

if anybodys actually listened to Ca Ira, some of the more Floydian aspects are the sound effects,
and Roger has again explained in interviews how he constructed the sound of the guillotine from a sliding door (I think)
he's obviously very good at that type of thing
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I didn't know about the guillotine sounds, but most of the sample sounds on "Ca Ira" sounded pretty much ordinary to me...
djtaki
Embryo
Embryo

Post by djtaki »

There used to be a website with a few of the tracks that I thought were from this album (down now). You could add these tracks to some album tracks and make your own Man and the Journey/The Massed Gadgets Of Auximenes CD.

You can find out about it here: http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/t6524-the-a ... oject.html
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I was reading "The Complete Press Reports" last night, and the articles from 1971 there is talk about music they were working on without instruments...hmmmm.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I think the HHO thing was just an interesting idea, that got less and less interesting the more they got into it, Rick has said that each member ould spend hours and hours trying to get a house hold object to sound like a real musical instrument, then only to realise, it's better just to use the real instrument!!
As for them being experimental, well, they had many of years of that, but when you are experimental, it's a means to and end, and with the Floyd, that end was Dark Side of The Moon, and honestly, if you had been the person involved with perhaps the greatest album ever, why would you feel the need to go back to being experimental?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Well I don't think it would really be that hard to make an album using only household objects today, but it must have been a nightmare back then. Remember, Waters and Parsons spent days patching the cash register samples for "Money" together in order to create a rhythmical pattern. With contemporary music software it would take you minutes, if not seconds to do the same thing.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Yes, and if it was done today? would it even be called experimental? i doubt it.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Well, if no one tried to do that in the past it would have been called experimental. But we had Pink Floyd'd attempts to do it and Genesis playing on tuned bottles, so that kind of idea is not new anymore.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

nosaj wrote:I was reading "The Complete Press Reports" last night, and the articles from 1971 there is talk about music they were working on without instruments...hmmmm.
Yes I thought I read somewhere they first dabbled with the household object concept in and around the same time as meddle was recorded
jtull
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by jtull »

I didn't know all of the takes of the Household Objects recordings had a tites. Recording sheets of the Household Objects recording reveal a curious collection of takes that include:

Papa Was A Rolling Floyd
Carrot Crunching
Nozee
The Hard Way

Interesting :)
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Well thanks to 'Experience' and 'Immersion' editions, we've heard two tracks from this project. Now if 'The Middle Years' happens, then I'd like to hear some more.
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

Hudini wrote:That's just what I was talking about. And "Money" is the only Pink Floyd song that's not in 4/4 or 3/4 time signature. It is also one of the very few songs of theirs with a notable time signature change - from 7/4 (verses and Dick Parry's solo) to triplet 4/4 (Gilmour's solo).
"Round and Around" is a 5/4 rhythm if my memory doesn't fail me. Also "On the Turning Away" is strangely built, the drum rhythm is straightahead but the verse seems to shift between different signatures.

"The Dogs of War" changes from triplet 4/4 to straight 4/4 but that doesn't really qualify I guess...
DarkSideFreak
Knife
Knife

Post by DarkSideFreak »

theaussiefloydian wrote:Well thanks to 'Experience' and 'Immersion' editions, we've heard two tracks from this project. Now if 'The Middle Years' happens, then I'd like to hear some more.
The Hard Way is great! But I doubt there are many more finished tracks, maybe only one more (?)