Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S (KAOS)

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate this album

5 - Best
16%
20%
20%
16%
1 - Worst
27%

Total votes: 74

DaveSamsonBell
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Roger Waters - Radio K.A.O.S (KAOS)

Post by DaveSamsonBell »

space triangle wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:50 pm For me it is not that strange. Roger is an old man now, and his taste has obviously changed over time. Now, he likes a slow songs with a lots of texts and a minimum of music in it. Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and Neil Young are his favorite artists now. Roger the Rock hero is gone forever. Have you listened to this Dark Side REDUX? Well, there is more recitation than music on it.
Powderfinger is a very rock n roll Neil Young song. That's why I don't like it. I think he is far better in the "Harvest" style. I don't really appreciate Young on an electric guitar at all.

Yes Waters is old and you can feel that lack of energy on Redux. It's part of what makes the album different, and it has to be different.

He does like to recite stuff but that's not the draw for me. The draw is the musical landscapes he has created. There is some wonderful stuff here. Some it works very well, some less so. I'll take it.

On, say Division Bell, there is literally nothing to keep me interested. No brilliant parts at all. That's the difference.
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:48 am Just gave this another listen last night. Brilliant album, loved every second of it.
Probably the worst of Roger's solo career, but that's just praise for his other albums considering how much I loved Radio K.A.O.S.
Lyrics, of course, are brilliant, yet some lyrics are a little corny (*cough cough* Four Minutes *cough*).
The Tide Is Turning is brilliant as ever, but I think, and I reckon most would agree, that the version off his 1990 performance of The Wall was a better vision for The Tide Is Turning.
Overall, the albums probably a 4/5 from me.
Scrap that, 3/5. The album did the opposite of what Dark Side Redux did: get worse with each listen.
The first time I heard it, it was unbelievable. Now it gets on my nerves a bit.
This is an album you can't really listen to often, and Radio Waves, the Powers That Be and Sunset Strip are extremely overproduced, although there are some brilliant gems (Me Or Him, Home, The Tide Is Turning).
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:33 pm
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:48 am Just gave this another listen last night. Brilliant album, loved every second of it.
Probably the worst of Roger's solo career, but that's just praise for his other albums considering how much I loved Radio K.A.O.S.
Lyrics, of course, are brilliant, yet some lyrics are a little corny (*cough cough* Four Minutes *cough*).
The Tide Is Turning is brilliant as ever, but I think, and I reckon most would agree, that the version off his 1990 performance of The Wall was a better vision for The Tide Is Turning.
Overall, the albums probably a 4/5 from me.
Scrap that, 3/5. The album did the opposite of what Dark Side Redux did: get worse with each listen.
This is an album you can't really listen to often, and Radio Waves, the Powers That Be and Sunset Strip are extremely overproduced, although there are some brilliant gems (Me Or Him, Home, The Tide Is Turning).
This is a great album, it has 4 real gems
Who needs information
The powers that be
Me or him
Home.

Exactly the 4 songs that were *not* on the radio kaos video !
Ashes andDiamonds07
Blade
Blade

Post by Ashes andDiamonds07 »

Djgilmour wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:51 am
Ashes andDiamonds07 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:33 pm

Exactly the 4 songs that were *not* on the radio kaos video !
I tell you, that video was God-awful :lol:
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Still can´t get into this album. Somehow the songs and story don´t work for me. I love Rogers other work but I give Radio a spin every few years only to check if something changed in my listening expierence.

I also thought, while thematically fitting, the song felt totally off during the TINAD tour. :smt102
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

The RADIO Kaos live shows were amazing! And, it was the only time when he played If song live. Roger was on his artistic top during this turne.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Yucateco wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:17 pm Still can´t get into this album. Somehow the songs and story don´t work for me. I love Rogers other work but I give Radio a spin every few years only to check if something changed in my listening expierence.

I also thought, while thematically fitting, the song felt totally off during the TINAD tour. :smt102
I like the reworked version he is playing on his current tour
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Still my favorite of his solo albums...especially the "Project KAOS" fan expansion.
Eclips
Axe
Axe

Post by Eclips »

I love the tour bootlegs, those shows are amazing, visceral performances.
Can't get much into the studio album yet, though. My faves are ATD and ITtLWRW.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »