Stoner Metal bands

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Stoner Metal bands

Post by nosaj »

Massed Gadgets wrote:Monster Magnet really went the commercial way on their later albums (which are also their best known ones), but their early stuff is great. Spine of God is an absolute stoner metal classic. Tab (or 25....Tab) is also an awesome album. It's their most out there with long crazy tracks and some space rock influence.

I just picked up Spine of God today. Will be listening to it tonight. I want to get Tab 25, but have not found it in record stores near me.

Oh, and here is Monster Magnet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYrxylWs_Us
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Spine of God is a great album. Tab 25, not as great. I love long tracks, but they are unfocused on Tab 25 and mostly have Dave Windorf just ranting and swearing through them. Try to listen to it before you buy it, or you may be disappointed. Superjudge and Dopes to Infinity are great albums too. Powertrip shows the band getting a bit more commercial, and getting away from that stoner vibe, but it's still a pretty good album too.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I lump Monster Magnet in with Orange Goblin as being harder rocking bar bands who attract a stoner following. Perhaps that is unfair. I don't really 'get' Corrosion of Conformity either though I quite enjoy their earliest hardcore stuff over the more focussed attempts at making stoner music they come out with now. The absolute worst in my book is Down, but then again those NOLA sludge bands are not really stoner are they? :? I don't even know any more.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Right now I'm quite enjoying this little track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HITHygbE_BA
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I might check this band out...

The Atomic Bitchwax is a stoner rock band started in 1992 in New Jersey. It started as essentially a supergroup of key members of the notable stoner rock and doom metal bands Godspeed, Monster Magnet, and Core.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atomic_Bitchwax

Actually, a blog I love turns me on to all kinds of heavy, trippy jam bands. This band would be fairly mainstream on some level for what they post. Haven't visited it in a while. I would post a link, BUT, they offer downloads...some are illegal, but, many bands freely share. Some cool heavy trippy jam bands out there that simply do not make a living and have so little exposure.
pinkfloydfan56
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pinkfloydfan56 »

The Gunner's Dream wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:27 pm
RYANO wrote:Anyone here heard of Slipknot before?
That band is pure musical garbage. Listening to one of their songs actually makes me so mad that it ruins my mood for the rest of the day. They are that shit. Only Jimmy Page comes anywhere near them in terms of shit.
you are dead wrong man.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I made that post almost 13 years ago. But, I still think Slipknot are shit :lol: