Great Gig in the Sky pitch change

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Re: Great Gig in the Sky pitch change

Post by Meandthem »

Are we talking about perfect pitch or...?
If it's just ordinary pitch, I think many people can hear the difference, but perfect pitch is the ability to recognize the exact tone in the scale, when listening.
A lot of gutarist make pitch changes by bending the neck backward (on the guitar, that is) thereby stretching the strings and distording the tone - Hendrix, Winter, Van Zant, Lowell George and on keabords Emmerson and Jon Lord et al...
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Harder to do with a piano dude. Piano strings are usually tripled up, making them a royal pain in the ass to tune. As far as I know there is no way to pitch shift on a piano in real time....
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

Hudini wrote:Doesn't "Knife Edge" end with a sudden speed breakdown?
i think the effect is achieved in a similar way though
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Well, yes, both things are about change of tape speed, but they sound quite differently.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVNAiQr0g20

Ready to have your mind blown?

Fast forward to 5:59 of this video and listen to what happens....
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

crowman wrote:Was it an accident? Who knows? It does work in a weird kind of way, and it's hard to imagine that an unwanted glitch like that would make it through. Perhaps it was an accident but when they listened back they liked it as a bit of serendipity.
Hmmm, I concur.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

my breakfast. wrote:Ready to have your mind blown?Fast forward to 5:59 of this video and listen to what happens....
The pitch oscillates just like in the end of GGITS. So, am I wrong or does that give weight to the "it was intentional" theory?
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

Hudini wrote:Well, yes, both things are about change of tape speed, but they sound quite differently.
im just pointing out it was something bands around the time were playing around with - i always thought it was deliberate .

did anyone notice the reed change in the saxophone at 10.27 ?
sashwap
Embryo
Embryo

Post by sashwap »

also, did anyone notice what sounds like alarm clocks going off right before "time" kicks in? i've never been able to explain this satisfactorily.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

sashwap wrote:also, did anyone notice what sounds like alarm clocks going off right before "time" kicks in? i've never been able to explain this satisfactorily.
:lol:
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

oz1701 wrote:
sashwap wrote:also, did anyone notice what sounds like alarm clocks going off right before "time" kicks in? i've never been able to explain this satisfactorily.
Nope - count me out!
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

I believe they accidentally left a mic open at that point and picked up the alarm clocks going off when the studio time ran out. What with all those blokes talking in the background its not a very well made album really is it.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Umm...that's meant to be like that. The clocks start ticking right before "Time" begins. When it does begin, the clocks start ringing. Sort of a "segueing" thing, though not necessarily.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

Isntthiswherewe wrote:
I believe they accidentally left a mic open at that point and picked up the alarm clocks going off when the studio time ran out. What with all those blokes talking in the background its not a very well made album really is it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Isntthiswherewe wrote:
Nope. And isn't it insane how despite all of THAT you have some pricks complaining by very minor things like Ticket To Ride being at the end of Eclipse?

I also think Gilmour shouldn't have placed the microphone so close to his chest.