Pink Floyd Reunion Hopes in Nick Mason Interview BBC 6 Music

General discussion about Pink Floyd.

Would you go and watch a Pink Floyd reunion concert?

Yes
68%
No
23%
Don't know
9%

Total votes: 22

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Re: Pink Floyd Reunion Hopes in Nick Mason Interview BBC 6 M

Post by J Ed »

The band recently turned down a charity performance which would have meant the surviving members reforming for the first time in five years after "they" learned it would take place in the home of the ex-wife of retired Pakistani cricketer, Imran Khan.
this came up before in the Poshy Totty thread
as fars I can tell , what Nicks talking about is a charity gig Roger and Dave really did show up and play for
which is to say there almost was a Floyd reunion except for Nick
so why is Nick making excuses for choosing not to participate in a reunion being parsed as new hope there will be a reunion?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC1-d_6j0Lk
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

The rate at which they are dying off it could end up being a one-man band if they don't decide soon. Not that I'd go out of my way to see them anyway.
Peter Beasley
Blade
Blade

Post by Peter Beasley »

I would only go and see them if they played new material, did 'The Final Cut' in its entirety, nothing from 'DSOTM', 'WYWH', 'The Wall', 'AMLOR' or 'TDB' and the ticket price was sensible. Good chance eh?,
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I wouldn't go - over priced tickets and full of little kids who were swimming in their old mans nad sack the last time Floyd toured - no not for me
Pikabanga
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pikabanga »

drafsack wrote:I wouldn't go - over priced tickets and full of little kids who were swimming in their old mans nad sack the last time Floyd toured - no not for me
Does it bother you that younger people enjoy their music as well?
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Pikabanga wrote:
drafsack wrote:I wouldn't go - over priced tickets and full of little kids who were swimming in their old mans nad sack the last time Floyd toured - no not for me
Does it bother you that younger people enjoy their music as well?
yeah seriously - but he's entitled to his opinions. mine, however, is that it would be pretty depressing to be at a gig full of snobbish old farts upset at the simple presence of younger audience members. respectfully enjoying a show isn't exclusive to older people, being an asshole in public either.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mastaflatch wrote:it would be pretty depressing to be at a gig full of snobbish old farts upset at the simple presence of younger audience members. respectfully enjoying a show isn't exclusive to older people, being an asshole in public either.
I've seen Roger Waters twice, and both times the audience was clearly divided into two gangs: young people, 30 and less, who were there to have a good time, and uptight old farts, 50 and up, who were there for a theatre atmosphere and they kept bitching at young people for jumping, singing too loud, or even sitting in circles on the venue floor. I somehow got the feeling that it would be ideal for each of them to have their own seat, a blanket to cover their feet and a cup of tea, and possibly a little cushion if they wanted to take a nap during the intermission.
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

I think Its clear, and has been for a long time Pink Floyd will not ever tour again, and I think the reason Nick is always keen for stuff to happen is because he is the least creative musically of the band, so he may well be bored, David and Roger not so much.
henno

Post by henno »

qjamesfloyd wrote:I think Its clear, and has been for a long time Pink Floyd will not ever tour again, and I think the reason Nick is always keen for stuff to happen is because he is the least creative musically of the band, so he may well be bored, David and Roger not so much.
nick has enough 'external' hobbies to keep him from being bored.
I think the fact that he is the only floyd member left that has been there from the start puts a weight of expectation on him, maybe thats why hes calling for one more show.
and lets be honest, david and rog are not exactly what youd call prolific in their outputs... :)

Live 8 was amazing, but it was only 4 songs.... imagine 1 or 2 shows in earls courts as the "final hurrah"...... IM THERE
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

A PF reunion wouldn't be a real PF reunion if Rick isn' there. So no thanks, unless Rog and Dave are planning to write and record a new set of songs I couldn't care less about a PF "reunion" now, it would feel wrong actually, just the three of them doing a show without Rick, kind of an anti-climax compared with Live 8. A David Gilmour+Roger Waters studio collaboration would be REALLY nice though. But there would be the problem of whose name would be placed first in the album cover, and then it would be the Battle of The Egos Reloaded! :lol: So perhaps releasing it under the Pink Floyd name would be wiser :-;
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I won't go, not only because I don't live in UK, but also because even if I did, it would be Gilmour, Mason and Waters* playing together again. As much as I love The Final Cut, without Richard it's not Pink Floyd. At least TFC belongs to the Floyd canon because the material was written for a possible Floyd album and the band did work on some tracks.
Thus, call it, say, "Dave, Rog 'n' Nick Band", but... not Pink Floyd. That one's over, dammit :(

*pretty ironic placing of the surnames on this list, innit? Tsss, don't tell Roger.