New David Gilmour album!

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: New David Gilmour album!

Post by Hudini »

I haven't thought of that, but I did listen to the album the other night and thought that '5 AM' and 'And Then...' could have been sequenced into one continuous piece.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

danielcaux wrote: "A Boat" even has a recording or Rich Wright on it, so thematically those tracks totally fit better in The Endless River than in the much more pop Rattle That Lock album IMO.

Title track and Today are pop, the rest not so much.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Yeah, the rest are poop, mostly.
Hudini wrote:I haven't thought of that, but I did listen to the album the other night and thought that '5 AM' and 'And Then...' could have been sequenced into one continuous piece.
I'm no musician but to my ears it sounds like "A Boat Lies Waiting" is also based almost in the same chords/melody of "5 AM" and "And Then" too. Those three songs sound like they were cut from the same cloth.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I just listened to those three back to back and now I'm even more certain that '5 AM' and 'And Then...' were probably originally meant to be one track, or at least derived from one track. 'A Boat Lies Waiting' is quite different musically and even more atmospherically.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

''5am'' and ''And Then'' is the same song with some variations in the licks... That's all really.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Don't you guys hear the similarities between 5AM/And Then and A Boat Lies Waiting? Is not like it's the same song as the other two, but they are definitely musically related, in a way similar to Breathe and GGITS on DSoTM.

Anyone, how come people here like "In Any Tongue" and "Faces of Stones" so much? To me those two are the lowest points of the new album. Musically is just Gilmour by numbers, one is a Comfortably Numb rip-off and the other a "Working Class Hero meets Poles Apart rip-off", and the lyrics in both are so cringe-worthy! And the worst part is that both are so BOOOOOOOOOOORING!

Is it because of the solos at the end of both? The solos are nice yeah, I'll give you that.

I really don't know what to think about this new album. The songs are not bad, but they aren't any good either. Just mediocre and generic I guess. I really wish that after the Pink Floyd end in the 90s Gilmour had just finally quit trying to be a writer of pop tunes and dedicated himself to write instrumental music instead, 'cause that's just what he's really good at: playing that sweet guitar and coming up with nice sounding soundscapes. He totally sucks a songcraft (most of the time), and I'm not talking lyrics, but songcraft, the structure/hook/melody part thing of writing a a song. Most of his pop songs are just generic and lifeless, they don't go anywhere. They do have a nice "sound", he's really great at production, but other than that are just empty vessels, with no musical meat on them at all.

And no, I'm not a Roger Water fanboy. Although admittingly, he does seem to have a better intuitive grasp of what makes a song memorable... he just totally sucks at arranging them and writing lyrics now...

That said, I DO enjoy the title track and the Yellow Dress Girl song. That last one is a good and pleasant genre exercise in the same line as San Tropez and Biding My Time :)
Bluenose
Axe
Axe

Post by Bluenose »

danielcaux wrote:Don't you guys hear the similarities between 5AM/And Then and A Boat Lies Waiting? Is not like it's the same song as the other two, but they are definitely musically related, in a way similar to Breathe and GGITS on DSoTM.

Anyone, how come people here like "In Any Tongue" and "Faces of Stones" so much? To me those two are the lowest points of the new album. Musically is just Gilmour by numbers, one is a Comfortably Numb rip-off and the other a "Working Class Hero meets Poles Apart rip-off", and the lyrics in both are so cringe-worthy! And the worst part is that both are so BOOOOOOOOOOORING!

Is it because of the solos at the end of both? The solos are nice yeah, I'll give you that.

I really don't know what to think about this new album. The songs are not bad, but they aren't any good either. Just mediocre and generic I guess. I really wish that after the Pink Floyd end in the 90s Gilmour had just finally quit trying to be a writer of pop tunes and dedicated himself to write instrumental music instead, 'cause that's just what he's really good at: playing that sweet guitar and coming up with nice sounding soundscapes. He totally sucks a songcraft (most of the time), and I'm not talking lyrics, but songcraft, the structure/hook/melody part thing of writing a a song. Most of his pop songs are just generic and lifeless, they don't go anywhere. They do have a nice "sound", he's really great at production, but other than that are just empty vessels, with no musical meat on them at all.

And no, I'm not a Roger Water fanboy. Although admittingly, he does seem to have a better intuitive grasp of what makes a song memorable... he just totally sucks at arranging them and writing lyrics now...

That said, I DO enjoy the title track and the Yellow Dress Girl song. That last one is a good and pleasant genre exercise in the same line as San Tropez and Biding My Time :)
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but .............................................................................................................
...............................................................................................................................................................................
................... Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

danielcaux wrote:Anyone, how come people here like "In Any Tongue" [...]? To me those two are the lowest points of the new album. Musically is just Gilmour by numbers, one is a Comfortably Numb rip-off
Musical arrangement is similar but the whole chord structure and melody is vastly different... I just love that song and yes the solo is amazing, best since High Hopes imo, but it's not just that. Couldn't care less about ''Faces of Stone'' tho.

But if you really want make it a Waters vs Gilmour debate, I just feel like Gilmour miss some bitterness, some ''grit''... But he does know how to make it sound good, something that Roger obviously struggle to do alone.

I mean yes Roger wrote songs like ''Money'', ''Have a Cigar'', ''Pigs'' and ''Hey You'' alone but he can say a big thank you to David and Rick because otherwise it would be mediocre acoustic and/or piano version and it wouldn't go anywhere.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

danielcaux wrote:Don't you guys hear the similarities between 5AM/And Then and A Boat Lies Waiting? Is not like it's the same song as the other two, but they are definitely musically related, in a way similar to Breathe and GGITS on DSoTM.
I'm not sure I even hear too many similarities between 'Breathe' and TGGITS to begin with, let alone between '5AM' and ABLW... :?
danielcaux wrote:Anyone, how come people here like "In Any Tongue" and "Faces of Stones" so much? To me those two are the lowest points of the new album. Musically is just Gilmour by numbers, one is a Comfortably Numb rip-off and the other a "Working Class Hero meets Poles Apart rip-off", and the lyrics in both are so cringe-worthy!
Sad but true, Gilmour by numbers is still a head and shoulders above most of his peers at their most creative, and even the lowest points on the new album (which definitely do not include the two songs in mention) are better than some of the higlights from the last one...
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

that may be your opinion but for me the 2 tracks you’ve mentioned are sublime and classic, particularly live. I don’t see it as by numbers at all, the title track I like even more. Beauty and Dancing right in front of me......much less so.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

To me a ripoff has to do with melody and chord structure, not just arrangement..

Because then 5am is a ripoff of pretty much everything on the Division Bell (Cluster One, Marooned, Coming Back to Life solo...) and some songs on OAI, TER and even SYOCD while we are at it... Clean guitar sound with reverb playing on keyboards...
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

In any tongue - the reason why I like it? Because it's sung with some nice emotional input and the solo brought tears to my eyes at the RAH.
As for the album, yes it isn't a world beater and nowhere near the level of being considered a 'classic' but it's ok, listenable and worth hearing. I do however prefer 'On An Island'. I have played that over the last nine years and will continue to listen to it.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

In Any Tongue - the reason why I like it? Because it's sung with some nice emotional input and the solo brought tears to my eyes at the RAH.
As for the album, yes it isn't a world beater and nowhere near the level of being considered a 'classic' but it's ok, listenable and worth hearing. I do however prefer 'On An Island'. I have played that over the last nine years and will continue to listen to it.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Follix wrote:To me a ripoff has to do with melody and chord structure, not just arrangement..

Because then 5am is a ripoff of pretty much everything on the Division Bell (Cluster One, Marooned, Coming Back to Life solo...) and some songs on OAI, TER and even SYOCD while we are at it... Clean guitar sound with reverb playing on keyboards...

Exactly. Roger's biggest weakness has been obsessive political lyrics/jamming too many lyrics into a beat, and this clean guitar over pads is Gilmour's.

They need someone to edit each other's indulgences.

Gilmour did a lot of awesome shit with his guitar. Where's the huge acoustic sound from Fearless? The staccato shit in the re-emergence section in Echoes? He just keeps going back to variations of the Shine On intro.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote: And no, I'm not a Roger Water fanboy. Although admittingly, he does seem to have a better intuitive grasp of what makes a song memorable... he just totally sucks at arranging them and writing lyrics now...
His lyrics are terrible now. Almost as bad as this new Gilmour album. The new outro to "Another Brick" on the new Wall Live DVD is horrifying and numbing at the same time. You can literally feel the show grinding to a halt from his new songwriting.

My hope is that Radiohead's producer can point out a few things to Roger...like getting back to edgy synth and bass sounds. First and foremost, this is completely missing from Roger and David's music now, and even much of the Endless River sounds like a Korg keyboard workstation demo. Guy Pratt's bass playing is clinical and lifeless.

someone needs to get Roger stoned and stick him in a room full of knobby synths like in the Pompeii video. Just record him messing around with shit and whispering creepy lyrics like Careful With that Axe. The dude could come up with some amazing stuff on acoustic guitar and synths. His songwriting is done, over...laborious, pretentious, pondering absurdities. It all has to be stripped away, a return to the Umma Gumma/Pompeii style.

I will give Roger credit for one thing: His music will never sound like Sting or CSN, or crappy new age world music (Rattle That Lock). He is the fire, he is the hammer, and clearly he was the edge for the band.