There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
marcin0099
Embryo
Embryo

Re: There will be a new album

Post by marcin0099 »

Maybe we can also expect The Child Will Fly? Part of the song was issued in YT some years ago, but as someone mentioned, the whole piece lasts 12 minutes
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Flathead wrote:I doubt any of those songs are on it. I think Godrich is taking Waters in a completely different direction. Godrich focuses on musicality and tone rather than concepts and lyrics, this why you see Roger always with a bass in his hand in the clips.
Hopefuly, that will be the case. But I doubt he's going into the spacerock/art rock route. I think it's more realistic to expect a style similar to Amused To Death, but with more interesting sonic textures and shorter, more to the point, songs. I also think that Crystal Clear is pretty much sure going to be in the album, because it's one of the most melodic songs he has written in recent years, and he hasn't record a studio version yet. Lay Down Jerusalem probably will be in there too, although I'm sure Godrich will be pushing for a shorter and less meandering version. Regarding songwriting, and going by what Roger has said in interviews, Nigel seems to be trying to take Roger more into a "less is more" DSOTM direction, and away from Roger's later days default mode of the "longer the better", so yeah, we will probably have an album of more concise songs instead of the musicalized short stories typical from The Final Cut and Roger's solo work.

Now, what's Roger going to do with all the songs that don't have a studio recording released yet? To Kill The Child was properly recorded and released as a single, but Flickering Flame and Leaving Beirut were only released as unfinished demos, and Each Small Candle as a live recording. So will he forget about them or will he finally record proper studio versions of them?
marcin0099
Embryo
Embryo

Post by marcin0099 »

I think that an appropriate place for To Kill The Child, We Shall Overcome or Leaving Beirut is Flickering Flame vol.2.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

guys. that clip is have a cigar. or roger should retire in shame and goodrich be deemed a yes man. same key, roughly same tempo, same vibe, same keyboard sound.. I repeat, same key. SAME KEY. I get the echoes vibe comment, but it's in Em like a LOT of floyd stuff. it even sounds like someone is about to start singing (off key as it happens)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

marcin0099 wrote:I think that an appropriate place for To Kill The Child, We Shall Overcome or Leaving Beirut is Flickering Flame vol.2.
I think appropriate place for 'We Shall Overcome' is oblivion.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

:lol:
raisemyrent wrote:guys. that clip is have a cigar. or roger should retire in shame and goodrich be deemed a yes man. same key, roughly same tempo, same vibe, same keyboard sound.. I repeat, same key. SAME KEY. I get the echoes vibe comment, but it's in Em like a LOT of floyd stuff. it even sounds like someone is about to start singing (off key as it happens)
God forbid us of a Pink Floyd track recycling some other PF tracks's musical style!

:cough: One Of These Days :cough: SOYCD Part VI :cough: Sheep :cough:
:cough: Echoes Jam :cough: Have A Cigar :cough: Pigs :cough:

Also, what's so important about two songs being in the same key? Tons of songs are in the same key, and that doesn't make them the same song. The contrary is also true: you could play the same song in DIFFERENT KEY and that wouldn't make it a different song at all. It would just be the same song only transposed.

What really matters for the identity of a song is chord progression and melody.

Is the clip playing the same chord progession of Have a Cigar? It' just ten seconds, but maybe is possible to tell?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Fair enough. I meant to differentiate it from echoes with the key comment.

You have a good, general, point. But when 10 seconds or so sounds identical to something else, Roger has a problem. Not that some people will care. The people worried should be the tribute acts because Roger is touring again and his cover band gets top billing.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

So weird. The guy who founded Pink Floyd, and was the chief songwriter sounds like Pink Floyd when he plays?

This is crazy!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Aaah. Never mind. No point responding. Low hanging fruit.

My best mate who actually thinks much more highly of Roger was saying the other day that Roger should just stick to The Wall until he dies. Keep touring it and rereleasing it. Acknowledge it's his only thing and that's ok. He meant it. There is some twisted logic in it if you think about it.
I randomly remembered seeing that clip yesterday or today and Roger all fired up over nothing and I realised I actually felt bad for him for a bit.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

If that's the case, that him is just playing it safe and plagiarizing his own stuff, then I'd rather have him rehashing the Have A Cigar sound than hear him again playing another variation or the trademark Roger Waters' Epic Ballad™, like Two Suns In The Sunset or Amused To Death, you know, those songs that start with him whispering and strumming a guitar and end up with him screaming his lungs against the background of a lady chorus and some big keyboard fanfare... We already had like 3 albums of that Roger!!! Give us more stuff like Welcome To The Machine and Have A Cigar instead!!! :lol:

Tears burn my eyes!

I really enjoyed the DSOTM tour, when he rearranged songs from all his discography into a new context during the first set. Yeah, The Wall was awesome, but it's also kinda boring to hear the whole album played live again and again and again... This Us+Them tour seems a little more interesting and intriguing in that respect... Which songs will he play? How is he going to arrange the setlist? Is he going to divide the show in two sets plus and encore? What kind of visuals is he going to use? Is there going to be a new story connecting all the songs?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Getting back to the clip, I think the best part about it, other than the fantastic tone, is the energy. It's just something completely missing from David's solo albums, and post Waters Floyd.

Glad to have it back!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

10 seconds of a fairly average bass player rehashing a song from 32 years ago, fucking yawn.

It's sung in quite a high key too so he'll just lip sync his way through it if it crops up on his tour set list. Shame really

"Creative genius", you were once Roger, now it's false advertising and I might even sue you under the trades and descriptions act
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

heard it again. i'd forgotten about the little descending melody break. IDENTICAL to Have a Cigar. Sigh.
speaking of have a cigar, well, he didn't sing it even though it kind of sounds like him. More to do with the ridiculous amount of words, but range-wise, I doubt he could sing it now.
But this whole embarrassment made me reflect on the 'creative genius' label. After seeing The Wall film (which never really decides if it's a concert film or a disjointed journey edit), I felt that I came to see Roger the human, and made me reflect on how much he has wanted to say to the world throughout his life. I think that drive to express things was his 'creativity' that he brought to the band. Musically, even by WYWH, some cracks were showing with the songwriting and the number of syllables etc. I mean in have a cigar all those lyrics that just don't fit and sound so forced. Remove the keyboards and Gilmour solo and you get rubbish, I mean, a Roger solo song. Welcome to the Machine is a great, different tune overall but it too suffers from some very forced, almost musical theatre 'can't-really-say-this-in-fewer-words' kind of feel to it. yawn. The genius bit was the entire package, when it was nice and balanced. Roger's thing was primarily to have lots of things to say in usually some angry fashion or speaking into the microphone. To grab that, brand it and it alone "genius", focus on it, and give it steroids for the next 30+ years is quite beyond me. That was Roger's contribution, and I think no amount of wishful thinking, producers, instrumentalists, time between albums, world events, and Flathead posts is going to make this new album any different, and that's why all his new stuff sounds the same since Animals. But I'll probably still pay no more than $50 to hear some of the dark Floyd repertoire played live in a state of the art show, if I'm in town that night. If only Gilmour were more insecure...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Or humble and kinder with his old bandmate, that would do.

But sadly, Gilmour is now Mr. Pink Floyd, and collaborating wih Waters is definitively not part of his agenda. It's really sad, because both suck without the other.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

danielcaux wrote:Or humble and kinder with his old bandmate, that would do.

But sadly, Gilmour is now Mr. Pink Floyd, and collaborating wih Waters is definitively not part of his agenda. It's really sad, because both suck without the other.
There is a lot of truth in what you say. But David has realised what the fans want and he gives it to them. Roger gets tied between making money (The Wall) and his creative process, which is about nil at this point in his life. All that stuff he spouted about in the albums - he's right there in the middle of it. Roger the capitalist :lol: