There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Hudini »

twcc wrote:Are the lyrics written in Braille -

:-;
I first thought it was a funny comment, but when I gave it more than three seconds of thought I realized how awesome that would be. Imagine the whole booklet in white and everything printed in Braille. In a sense, we are all blind to most of the things happening around us so why not just treat us all as such.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Guys, it's actually happening! 25 years of waiting is over!

And from that teaser clip, it's gonna have a Final Cut atmosphere, which I'm incredibly excited for!

Not long! :D
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I really hope the album itself is more subtle than it's title, and the music is less final cuttish, seems a bit of a rehash going on what we know so far
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The new clip is ABSOLUTELY MINDBLOWING.

It is the finest piece of music I've heard since high Hopes in relation to all things Pink Floyd.

The thing that kills me....absolutely kills me is the TONE of the instruments. Nigel has brought back that vintage 70's sound. Listen to the synth pads! those are right off of The Wall. The drums, the piano, everything is very raw and organic sounding, not the super special glossy style of Radio KAOSS or Gilmour's solo work (or The Endless River).

When you hear that piano sound, those synth pads, you know that the man producing this album KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING.

Phenomenal.

I'm slayed by that lonesome piano/synth pad interaction. It just completely takes you back to The Wall, but it also so subtle, it looks forward as well.

Roger is back.

Edit: I keep hearing the classic Prophet 5 from "One of My Turns". You know who played it? Rick Wright. That's why this song is haunting to me. Nigel is just totally paying homage to Rick, with the big gran piano and that prophet 5. this sounds like a Water/Wright song, PERIOD.

Wow. just blown away at the beauty.
Last edited by Flathead on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
Is This The Life we Really Want? ... scheduled to be released in May 2017 to coincide with the start of the tour

<ii>
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead pretending to be knocked out by final cut scraps :lol:
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Anyone who grasps tone and nuance can hear this is a level up on The Final Cut.

This is cutting edge, thanks to Godrich.

Better drums, better piano, better synth sounds, across the board.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Yeah, as flathead noted, there's some Wright's hallmarks all over this. It's really nice that Waters (probably pushed by Godrich and/or maybe Roger's son) finally acknowledges Rick's crucial input to their collective sound. Wright always brought a very rooted "human touch" to Pink Floyd and Waters seemingly ignored this since after The Wall tour. Can't wait to hear this album <ii>
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well there's the piano excerpt in the video and the other video that sounded like a Have A Cigar/Echoes,but funkier.
At least it's not going to be as one note and one tempo.

Hopefully...
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

mastaflatch wrote:Yeah, as flathead noted, there's some Wright's hallmarks all over this. It's really nice that Waters (probably pushed by Godrich and/or maybe Roger's son) finally acknowledges Rick's crucial input to their collective sound.
That's exactly what this is.

When I hear the Prophet 5 pads alongside the big piano riffs. I get chills. Wright added a human, organic element. It's all over this piece, and it's a stunning tribute.
Wright always brought a very rooted "human touch" to Pink Floyd and Waters seemingly ignored this since after The Wall tour. Can't wait to hear this album <ii>

Godrich has an amazing ear, and you can bet he talked to Roger about this.

What Dave and Roger needed all along, since The Wall, was a bullshit detector. David never got one, and most post-Waters floyd sounds like generic studio session rubbish, lacking subtlety. Gilmour's solo albums lack any fire and proper tone, and sound like they were made around the wine and fruit plate. Roger's studio albums are overwrought and try-hard.

Roger finally got his B.S. detector.

Roger: I want to make a super long album about politics.

Nigel: How long was Dark Side?

Roger: 38 minutes.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

The funniest thing is how the keys on it make it sound like something from TER which I believed was dubbed elevator music on here. Facking idiots! :lol:

I suppose the little vocal overdubs completely change that righ?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The Endless River sounds schmaltzy, because a lot of the tone used on it was from jam sessions featuring 1990's dated keyboard "all in one"
workstations.

A lot of the piano is faux-piano on a Kurzweil and Korg keyboards, etc.

"Lost for Words" has horribly outdated tone.

The tone of the instruments on this new Waters clip is an astonishing return to the 70's Floyd sound, but it also manages to look forward. It almost sounds like Obscurred by Clouds! Clean, but still a bit raw.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:The Endless River sounds schmaltzy, because a lot of the tone used on it was from jam sessions featuring 1990's dated keyboard "all in one"
workstations.

A lot of the piano is faux-piano on a Kurzweil and Korg keyboards, etc.

"Lost for Words" has horribly outdated tone.

The tone of the instruments on this new Waters clip is an astonishing return to the 70's Floyd sound, but it also manages to look forward. It almost sounds like Obscurred by Clouds! Clean, but still a bit raw.
The 70's isn't outdated?

You're talking shite. Waters could have released a clip of himself farting into a trumpet and you'd have wanking about a return to form just the same.

Clueless
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Most music from the 70's is outdated. The production/tone of Pink Floyd's records in the 70's has no peer, except for maybe Kid A.