There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Kerry King »

mastaflatch wrote:you're still stuck in the pathetic and ages old stereotype of Roger vs. David
That particular "ages old stereotype" was perpetrated by Roger Waters. Let's be fair.

Not that I'm picking sides. They've both failed to do much since they parted ways. Problem is, Waters acted like he was so much more productive than the rest. That was false. Time has proven that much.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Kerry King wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:you're still stuck in the pathetic and ages old stereotype of Roger vs. David
That particular "ages old stereotype" was perpetrated by Roger Waters. Let's be fair.

Not that I'm picking sides. They've both failed to do much since they parted ways. Problem is, Waters acted like he was so much more productive than the rest. That was false. Time has proven that much.
Shhhhhhh. Keep your facts to yourself
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Kerry King wrote:

Agreed on the fact that Waters himself started this in the 80s. I just think that we, as fans of the guys, should move on on that sterile debate. They need each other to find a balance of substance, grit, musicality, melody, experimentation, in short, being Pink Floyd at its best - maybe Godrich brought it to this project, we'll see but to me, Amused to Death is a masterpiece so I don't mind Roger being Roger.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I've just read all this thread since I last posted. Good to hear that the album is actually being recorded and therefore will be released barring the unexpected.

I like what I hear on the clips. The 'Have A Cigar' session might just be Roger getting back into the groove of playing the bass. Or perhaps he quotes from the song during another song, which wouldn't be a bad thing. I see no reason to assume that it's a case of self-plagiarism for no artistically valid reason.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

Is This the Album We Really Want?

Funny thing is with most bands I like I am all excited when a new album comes and I just know I will like it, but with Waters and Gilmour, I am not so sure anymore.

Hopefully the songs do not include and are a bit better than 'To Kill a Child' and 'Leaving Beirut' and other post-Amused songs.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

YetAnother wrote:Hopefully the songs do not include and are a bit better than 'To Kill a Child' and 'Leaving Beirut' and other post-Amused songs.
I thought Leaving Beirut was pretty good, especially the live versions that has some great guitar work by Andy Fairweather Low.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

YetAnother wrote:Is This the Album We Really Want?

Funny thing is with most bands I like I am all excited when a new album comes and I just know I will like it, but with Waters and Gilmour, I am not so sure anymore.

Hopefully the songs do not include and are a bit better than 'To Kill a Child' and 'Leaving Beirut' and other post-Amused songs.

Yes, absolutely. Unlike the wanna-be Gilmour guitar players all over the internet praising the recent sleepy, dull nonsense by Gilmour since high Hopes, I'm not going to heap praise on the song quality unless the songs are actually good.

I have been heaping praise on the engineering/production, because it's freaking amazing. Jury still out on the songs.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

UsNotThem wrote:I thought Leaving Beirut was pretty good, especially the live versions that has some great guitar work by Andy Fairweather Low.
The story telling part was live much better, but I liked the solos better than the song. The 'O George' chorus really does not do it for me.
Flathead wrote:Yes, absolutely. Unlike the wanna-be Gilmour guitar players all over the internet praising the recent sleepy, dull nonsense by Gilmour since high Hopes, I'm not going to heap praise on the song quality unless the songs are actually good.

I have been heaping praise on the engineering/production, because it's freaking amazing. Jury still out on the songs.
Gilmour failed to come up with something interesting, I forced myself to play the albums a couple of times because I bought them. But on his last two albums there is not even one song or one moment I really like. Still better songs than anything Waters came up with...

I hope there aren't as much lyrics as on Amused to Death, and there is some room for some music. And I mean music, not solos. 'Is there anybody outthere?' is a (almost) instumental piece, 'The ballad of Bill Hubbard' is a solo.

And some good cover art. Because after Animals, his cover art was not very good.

But we'll have to wait and see. I am sure it will sound great. But if it will be worth listening too...
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

There's a clip
Out linked from pink floyd's Facebook. Lots of orchestration, a few loud chords reminiscent of The Wall/Animals (what else?), and that's about it for now.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Another little snippet out which is essentially a rehash of "mother"

Still no vocals
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

kjek1 wrote:Another little snippet out which is essentially a rehash of "mother"

Still no vocals
I think the acoustic guitar is 'Mother' not a rehash. Though, without vocals, it could be a very different song. There are plenty of artists who reuse chord progressions but make something interesting and new out of them each time. Like, about every blues singer ever.

I'm not fully up on all the clips. The little bit of music that ends the clip is far more interesting. What is that? Something that has been previously published? Is it something from the new album?

BTW: While I think Gilmour's albums are a bit inconsistent and generally need a few more good songs to bump out the less interesting ones, there are some great songs on each album.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

At this point in time I kinda just feel happier with what they had done together as opposed to what they have done apart.

Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Vlad The Impaler wrote:At this point in time I kinda just feel happier with what they had done together as opposed to what they have done apart.

Would you feel happier if they had released all the PF albums that we have now, but there had never been a single solo album?
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Sounds like If I Had Been God? I just hope that he's cut it down to a more reasonable length, and not the tedious 13 minute version he played at the UN.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Annoying Twit wrote:
Vlad The Impaler wrote:At this point in time I kinda just feel happier with what they had done together as opposed to what they have done apart.

Would you feel happier if they had released all the PF albums that we have now, but there had never been a single solo album?

Meant I just feel happier with what they had done together as opposed to what they have done apart. Never implied they should never have made any solo efforts.