There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by kjek1 »

UsNotThem wrote:Sounds like If I Had Been God? I just hope that he's cut it down to a more reasonable length, and not the tedious 13 minute version he played at the UN.
I knew I recognised it. Weren't having a dig when that come out because he was using the same pigs on the wings/mother type progression

It's sounds practically the same. It would be cool if he could differentiate them more with a different sound at least
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Vlad The Impaler wrote:
Meant I just feel happier with what they had done together as opposed to what they have done apart. Never implied they should never have made any solo efforts.

Yes, but I'm suggesting that the solo albums are bonuses really. PF produced as much as it was ever going to produce as the members grew apart. Case in point: The Final Cut. Even though officially PF it's a Rog solo album. Roger being ornery spurred Dave into leading PF through two new albums, and recordings that became a third, but then he lost interest.

From what I've heard, I'm looking forward to Rog's new album.
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Annoying Twit wrote:
Vlad The Impaler wrote:
Meant I just feel happier with what they had done together as opposed to what they have done apart. Never implied they should never have made any solo efforts.

Yes, but I'm suggesting that the solo albums are bonuses really. PF produced as much as it was ever going to produce as the members grew apart. Case in point: The Final Cut. Even though officially PF it's a Rog solo album. Roger being ornery spurred Dave into leading PF through two new albums, and recordings that became a third, but then he lost interest.

From what I've heard, I'm looking forward to Rog's new album.
I own the Gilmour and Wright solo albums and feel everyone should like what they will. I won't try to tell them different either. Still...for me, my statement stands. Happier with what they did together as opposed to what they have done apart.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

I guess this thread has veered off a bit, and I will veer it a bit more with Aristotle's old cliché 'The Whole is Greater Than The Sum of it's Parts'. Never was this truly more personified than in the case of Pink Floyd. Since the '70s there have been a succession of, at best, ordinary albums from each of them. Imagine for a moment that they were not already rock stars from their previous success? Would anybody have bought any of those albums? They would have had to get proper jobs, and Roger would never have had a platform from which to rant. Anyway, regardless of that I am looking forward to the new album and hoping Roger can produce the goods.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The new clip is AMAZING.

The Pink Floyd sound is back thanks to Nigel. For far too long, ALL of the Floyd-efforts solo and fake Pink Floyd post The Wall have had terrible tone (glossy, overproduced) and shitty production.

This is beautiful. Roger's acoustic guitar playing is just as an integral part to the Pink Floyd sound as anything else (If, Pigs on the Wing, Wish You Were Here, Mother, etc).

And in watching the video, notice the emphasis on the filming of instruments, and the organic tone. You can hear leather creaking. It's very delicate, yet very aware. Nigel knows what he's doing. It's been so long since we've heard this sound. Nigel is forcing Roger to embrace his past, to embrace INSTRUMENTS, like he used to instead of being a political opera director.

This will be the best Pink Floyd solo album, easily.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Oh look, the turd polish is out again.

Pretentious nonsense. You'd struggle to find a more uninspiring sound

By the way. I've heard the full song and it's not particularly good, it's an overly wordy version of mother with some cringe inducing splishy splashy lyrics
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

So, rumor has it that the reason we have not heard a single clip from the new album with Roger singing on it, it's because:

A) It's an all instrumental album.
B) It's all sung by female backup singers.
C) It's all sung with a vocoder (about fucking time!).
D) Roger knows his strengths and his weakness.
E) Roger actually convinced Gilmour to sing and play guitar solos as a guest on all the songs of this album!!!

Holy fuck!! That must be the one!!

<ii>
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

danielcaux wrote:So, rumor has it that the reason we have not heard a single clip from the new album with Roger singing on it, it's because:

A) It's an all instrumental album.
B) It's all sung by female backup singers.
C) It's all sung with a vocoder (about fucking time!).
D) Roger knows his strengths and his weakness.
E) Roger actually convinced Gilmour to sing and play guitar solos as a guest on all the songs of this album!!!

Holy fuck!! That must be the one!!

<ii>
F) The engineers have been keeping backups and they promise Roger that all the lead vocals haven't been lost. They're on the disk ... somewhere. (Bead of sweat slowly runs down a temple.)
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

either way, it certainly sounds more interesting than The Endless River, which didn't even sound like Pink Floyd, but rather weird 1990's era workstation keyboard demos.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

FACT.

kjek, where did you hear the full song? If that isn't Mother, I seriously feel bad for Roger...
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

raisemyrent wrote:kjek, where did you hear the full song?
Roger performed a rough acoustic version of it at UN, or European Parliament, I can't remember which. It used to be on YouTube, but it's recently got taken down.

It was incredibly long, definitely over 10 minutes long, by which the audience were bemused to say the least.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

raisemyrent wrote:FACT.

kjek, where did you hear the full song? If that isn't Mother, I seriously feel bad for Roger...
As above, he sang it at the UN. Rogers usually pretty strong lyrically but it was very wordy and had some cringey splish splash lyric that left my face looking like a beetroot

It sounds incredibly dull musically, rog has never been the most inspired musician but to see him rehash Floyd stuff is a little disappointing. Guess the reason it's been so long since he released anything is becoming more obvious, he's a spent force.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

kjek1 wrote: It sounds incredibly dull musically, rog has never been the most inspired musician but to see him rehash Floyd stuff is a little disappointing. Guess the reason it's been so long since he released anything is becoming more obvious, he's a spent force.
Perhaps we can wait for the album to be released before deciding that.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

kjek1 wrote:
raisemyrent wrote: he's a spent force.
I knew that as The Wall was coming out. He was talking about making a movie and I thought that was too much. I found the resulting movie to be boring. When The Final Cut came out, critic Kurt Loder said it was "a Roger Waters solo album all but in name." That, with the title of the album, marked the death knell of the band. Then there was the court case (the trial he said didn't happen), and the judge deemed that Pink Floyd could go on because "there was money to be made". He gave Dave and co. rights to play Pink Floyd music, record Pink Floyd music, under the name of Pink Floyd, and as an added bonus, a stack of bricks from The Wall to play as Pink Floyd.

The ensuing solo records proved him a spent force, and will be interesting to see what this album is like. I don't fault him at all for his voice, he wore the heck out of it in two ways: his screeching on the records from the start, and his continuing act as a self-described deep-thinker of politics to cover up the fact that he is a spent force.

He has been threatening to put out new music for decades, peppering the landscape with single performances of bland muzac. The "reality" that something new is coming out is only due to his competitive need to outdo Dave, who consistently releases new muzac (as many would say), all the while touring to record that muzac live with the Pink Floyd hits he won the right to play onstage. Lucky for us.

Expect a (nearly?) sell out tour with recording of the Pink Floyd hits for us to enjoy (finally). Or less-than enjoy if the reality is that his "cover band" really is just that. But as he hasn't been able to come up with an idea that doesn't prove he isn't a spent force in thirty years, notice that he does the second best thing: copy Dave. Go out on the road, bore us with the new stuff, and thrill us with the Pink Floyd hits we so dearly want to hear. That's all anyone can ask for. Plus please stop talking.