There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Re: There will be a new album

Post by mastaflatch »

Alrighty folks, this is a great song. Waters used his old crayons to paint something new. This isn't about Gilmour, this isn't about Syd, or Rick either.

Also, I don't get the harsh critics of his voice. Serioulsy? Have any one of you ever actually listened to Amused To Death? I love the album by the way, it's my favorite of his but he sounded like he just woke up on most songs and it was 25 years ago. This (Smell the Roses) is pretty impressive for a 73 years old and still impressive for anyone. Waters knows how to convey layers of irony in his lyrics, it's an art that very few master.

Before Wish You Were Here, Roger's rare vocal performances were quite subdued. He didn't display a wide vocal range and his voice was often frail. For a decade (1975 through 1985) he seemed to have earned phenomenal strength and range but as his voice on KAOS and onwards demonstrate, he paid the price for pushing himself that hard. Just trying to put things into perspecive.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Kerry King wrote:
kjek1 wrote:churning out watered down version of old hits,
Like Gilmour's In Any Tongue. From the first guitar chord you know it's Comfortably Numb part 2. Or pt 3 or 4 or 5. Then here come those CN strings. Although it's more than just CN. It has an emotional musical depth to it that Waters new song lacks. Probably because Waters can't play lead guitar or sing. Maybe some of his other new songs will reach the heights of Amused To Death. I don't know if I'll get around to listening to it. In Any Tongue is the only track I've heard from Rattle. I did like the guitar solo but even that had some of the CN solo in it.

Arrangement is similar that's undeniable but chord progression and melody is different, not even in the same key. Solo is very different easily the most original David did since High Hopes

I agree that TDB lacks some claws but it's still a tons better than anything Roger did alone imo. He got out of the folky C,G,D thing for a Cigar reprise. To be fair Gilmour's Today to be somewhat a mix between Another Brick part II and Cigar.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Flathead wrote:
danielcaux wrote:Well, Gilmour's guitars and Wright' keyboards were definitely not EVERYTHING, as AMLOR and TDB very well proved.
Indeed.

If not for Poles Apart, Cluster One and High Hopes, those records are complete failures. But I do LOVE those songs, so credit is due.
What do You Want From Me, Marooned are awesome songs too.
And Sorrow, on the Turning Away, One Slip (yes, I like it) are great tunes as well.
Last edited by Djgilmour on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Follix wrote: I agree that TDB lacks some claws but it's still a tons better than anything Roger did alone.
Lol, tpacohh and atd are amazing albums.
Radio kaos has four nice tunes (powers that be, who needs information, home, me or him)

I like tDB but it is not as good as rogers solo work!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:TER is without question a retread of Floyd past hits.

"It's what we do" is a blatant Shine On rip off, totally watered down. "Things Left Unsaid" is yet another iteration of the Shin On Intro.

"Anisina" is sad attempt at Us and Them, Skins is a sad attempt at "A saucerful of secrets".

Hawking's voice is reused AGAIN on Talkin Hawkin.

Autumn 68 is literally TAKEN, note for note, from a rick Wright recording from the late 60's, LOL.

"Surfacing" is Poles Apart.

If you;re going to call out Waters for sounding like "Have a Cigar" at least be consistent.

Even worse, the project was so lazy, they couldn't bother to turn any of it into proper songs. they just rehashed the demos.

Smell the roses may be a bit of a rehash musically, but at least it's a complete song, with good lyrics, and not a lazy ass demo.
There's barley a similarity between half of those comparisons. Anisina and Us and them? Do you possess any musical knowledge whatsoever? Smell the roses however is a very obvious rip off

Listen mate, if you don't know about music stop trying to engage in technical discussions on it, it just makes you look like an idiot. As i said, you couldn't wait to point out any tiny similarity on those Gilmour albums yet you weren't going to say a word about Roger cloning Having a cigar..
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

Comparing The Endless River/Division Bell to how Roger's latest work sounds isn't a great analogy in my opinion, primarily because The Endless River was an album that we all knew was going to feature old content essentially re-recorded.

But Floyd have always used this technique in my opinion. Just look at Us & Them. You can go back as far as the Zabriskie Point sessions to hear the earliest renditions of Rick's piano that eventually morphed into Us & Them with The Riot Scene.

Between recording The Wall and The Final Cut there were disagreements between Gilmour and Waters over using pieces such as One of The Few and The Final Cut (title track) because they were rejected from The Wall.

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that the Floyd were no strangers to recycling pieces of music and ideas initially thought to be to no good.

If we are comparing Smell the Roses to Have a Cigar and Any Colour You Like amongst others then surely it's no different.

I agree with those that say the vocals from Smell the Roses are slightly lost in the mix and sound a tad distorted, however that's clearly the style either Roger himself or Nigel Godrich wanted.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Guys, given that this is his first album in 25 years, this could very well be the last studio abum of Roger Waters life, and he probably knows it. With that in mind, it is such a crime that he gives a nod to his musical past (several elements of different Floyd songs are there, not just HAC) in ONE song of the album? Come on! I actually find it quite touching, him revisiting old musical motifs. And yeah, I also liked when Gilmour did it in some parts of TER.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

To me it's more than a nod though, it's a good bit of self plagiarism.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

That's a great way to put it. It's really not very good. My wife was like "aw" in a feeling bad for him kind of way. She is not as knowledgeable as Flathead, but she has a master's and post degree studies in music and does it professionally so that's good enough for me. She helped me identify another song ripoff within it by the way (is there anybody out there quiet bit).
I guess there are nods and being in the style (Sum sounds like saucerful and even bits of The Wall) and then there's rehashing. Half the criticism about TER that Flathead posted is because it was essentially the same album. Someone mentioned in any tongue. Slow Minor key with backing vocals and guitar solo = comfortably numb. Get a grip!
At the time we felt that it sounded a lot like Pink Floyd. However, name one direct reference apart from what I wrote above. Not one musical element, chord sequence, eitmotif, specific melody, etc is rehashed. That is DEFINITELY NOT the case with smell the roses. We had a lengthy debate about the bass recording video actually being a different song!
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: There's barley a similarity between half of those comparisons.
Do you know how to spell?
Anisina and Us and them? Do you possess any musical knowledge whatsoever? Smell the roses however is a very obvious rip off
Did you read a single review of TER? Numerous outlets made that comparison. It's a direct lift.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

The song is uninspired. Will fans be playing it 20 years from now? 40? I wont be playing it tomorrow. I heard it 3 times and it isn't very good. The fact that he's old does not make it any better. It's always lame to blatantly try to redo past glories. Always.
Kerry King wrote:
kjek1 wrote:churning out watered down version of old hits,
Like Gilmour's In Any Tongue. From the first guitar chord you know it's Comfortably Numb part 2. Or pt 3 or 4 or 5. Then here come those CN strings. Although it's more than just CN. It has an emotional musical depth to it that Waters new song lacks. Probably because Waters can't play lead guitar or sing. Maybe some of his other new songs will reach the heights of Amused To Death. I don't know if I'll get around to listening to it. In Any Tongue is the only track I've heard from Rattle. I did like the guitar solo but even that had some of the CN solo in it.
Follix wrote:Arrangement is similar that's undeniable but chord progression and melody is different, not even in the same key. Solo is very different easily the most original David did since High Hopes quote]

I agree that TDB lacks some claws but it's still a tons better than anything Roger did alone imo. He got out of the folky C,G,D thing for a Cigar reprise. To be fair Gilmour's Today to be somewhat a mix between Another Brick part II and Cigar.
There are 4 notes in the IAT solo, right in a row, same intervals, straight out of CN. You'll hear it if you listen. What key a song is in doesn't matter too much when we're talking about sameness. Comfortably Numb in any key is still Comfortably Numb. The chords on IAT are maybe not the same as CN but the drums and tempo and arrangement are clearly harking back to Gilmour's most famous song. Even the way he plays the chords is similar.
mastaflatch wrote:This (Smell the Roses) is pretty impressive for a 73 years old and still impressive for anyone.
No, it's not impressive for anyone. It's weak.

Why can't people accept pink floyds flaws? It's pathological the way people can't accept that Roger Waters is not that great on his own. Either is Gilmour, Wright or Mason. Or Guy pratt, for that matter. I think you want to like it. That's fine. Deep down you know it's a sad replication of old classics.

Flathead, this whole thing seems like a Gilmour vs Waters thing for you. I can't believe you actually think this song is anything more than a piece of nostalgic shit. Waters started the whole Gilmour vs Waters battle and here you are still milking it 30 years later. Meanwhile, Waters has given us one half-good album in that time. And a whole lot of political lip service. And a whole lot of repackaged oldies.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

I think the song is very good. Better than anything off ATD, Kaos, and Pros. Better than anything off TER and AMLOR, Dave's horrible solo albums, but not better than Cluster One, Poles Apart, or High Hopes.

It's not about Roger versus Dave, really. Almost all of the post-Wall work has been mediocre at best, IMHO. But the production on this, the lyrical economy, and the tone is really cool. And I don't believe at all we've gotten repackaged oldies. Waters went off into a different sound for Pros, Kaos, and ATD.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

I will buy the new album because it is the new album from Roger Waters, and I don't expect anything earth shattering. But of course I want to like it.

As far as Gilmour vs Waters goes, I think I will listen more often to Waters' new album than the last Gilmour solo albums and the Endless River combined.

The Anisina and Us and them comparison is in the bassline.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

"Why can't people accept pink floyds flaws? It's pathological the way people can't accept that Roger Waters is not that great on his own. Either is Gilmour, Wright or Mason."

"People" aren't everybody. There are some who see the ridiculousness of it all. And then even more that are inbetween.

Neither are any of them that great on their own because it was the synergy that made it happen. Roger fucked it all up by caring about what others think, including the bandmates. He stressed everyone around him from the start. Then he fucked the bandmates under the false idea that any ole' monkey can do what they do. In his solo efforts, he found that no one person, and even less lucky, group of people, can synergistically play off of him just because of his "geniousness". The winner of it all was Gilmour, who, although past his prime, continues making music. This gives him the vehicle to perform onstage the music he helped make excellent with the other 3 bandmates.

Roger is all pissy :cry: because he wants us and them to think it was all his doing. He's too messed up to shut up. Just like Trumpty Dumpty, the one he excersizes his freedom on to badger for "our" entertainment.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Kerry King wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:This (Smell the Roses) is pretty impressive for a 73 years old and still impressive for anyone.
No, it's not impressive for anyone. It's weak.
Oh wow, this place is really becoming the arsehole of Floyd fandom and comments like yours, and most of kjek's and flathead's are responsible for this.