There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Well anyway, I'm STILL looking forward to the album. <.8.>
Yeah, same. 'Smell The Roses' is, whilst occasionally a little obvious, still a pretty good tune. Bringing Nigel Godrich on board as producer was definitely a good idea, and I can't wait to hear the whole thing.

As for the constant fighting going on here... I joined this forum to have civilized discussions about my favourite band, not get into fights about... what is it exactly? Seems awfully personal. Come on, guys.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

This may be Waters' best studio performance on bass since he left Pink floyd and maybe since 1975 (if Gilmour indeed played bass on Pigs 3DO). On Amused To Death he seemingly couldn't be bothered to pick up the bass save for a few awfully simple parts. TPACOHH contains some simple but effective bass lines but nothing like a good Floyd-inspired funk. I'm not sure about KAOS though - I don't remember his bass playing having a great effect of me when I listened to it but I may have overlooked it, burried in layers of Fairlight.
Also of note, Radio KAOS and Is This the Life We Really Want? artworks share an eerie similarity.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I don't hear the 4 notes in IAT identical to CN. Haven't listened to CN studio in ages but I'm confident I'm in my recall. Perhaps you can elaborate?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wolfpack wrote:
kjek1 wrote:He knows what he's doing, he even went to the trouble of masquerading as a Barrett fan in a feable attempt to lend more credence to his continual beration of Gilmour and praise of Waters.
Do you know what you are doing? :?

Someone is "masquerading as a Barrett fan"?
You don't need to be some secret agent to dislike some work by Gilmour. :lol:

It seems to me that whenever someone even tries to praise Waters more than Gilmour, you'll try to personally attack that person. As if that person can't be real.
Someone doesn't praise Gilmour as being the best musician ever? Must be a troll! :shock:
That's not really how it works though is it? If it was I'd be lauding on an island and rattle that lock as masterpieces and not continually asserting the fact Pf was about the sum of its parts.

do you really want me to explain the Barrett thing? Okay, he thinks if he pretends his era of Floyd is Syd era then it adds weight to his pro Roger chat because people will think "well he's a Barrett guy so there's no bias there when he's bigging up Roger!"

Of course it's so incredibly transparent that it doesn't work very well.
Last edited by kjek1 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

By the way I'm actually looking forward to the album. I'm just not ecstatic about this track for the reasons given, too bad that isn't allowed.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

mastaflatch wrote:This may be Waters' best studio performance on bass since he left Pink floyd and maybe since 1975 (if Gilmour indeed played bass on Pigs 3DO). On Amused To Death he seemingly couldn't be bothered to pick up the bass save for a few awfully simple parts. TPACOHH contains some simple but effective bass lines but nothing like a good Floyd-inspired funk.

Yeah it's awesome, really. So glad for the returned focus.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

mastaflatch wrote: Please don't victimize yourself - you're the one that singled out a comment I've made, acting like the police of good taste and saying that appreciating Waters solo stuff is borderline "pathological".

"Police of good taste"? ha. So I guess you're the arsehole of the forum?

Do I sound like a victim to you? Fuck off. How's that?

I've got barely 100 posts in over 7 years here. Accusing me of dragging down this forum is absurd. You've bogged this place down with far more words than I ever could.

The bass in this new song is a rehash of old pink floyd songs and it's not worthy of praise. But I don't care if you like it. Good for you. You've allowed Waters to coast for 25 years by lapping up everything he repackages for you.

You're the reason the upkeep of his talents became unnecessary in his pursuit of disposable income. He doesn't have to try too hard to amuse you. You're easy. You're his target audience. You're a demographic he can count on.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

This is the most interesting Pink Floyd-related tune sing High Hopes.

Kerry, you seem weird.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

The song belongs in the bin of rarities and "could've beens". Scratch that last one. No original thought.
The fact that this is the first preview does not bode well for the album. The video of Roger playing bass was for this song too. What happened to no guitar solos btw?
Also, didn't Roger say for years that his next album was going to be about love? This seems political as...

Also, any luck on the CN notes in IAT? I don't hear it but I'm openly intrigued.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

You are thinking about "Heartland". That was a concept he had in the late 90s, inspired by the movie "Michael" with John Travolta. I think that concept went to the bin at some point in the 20 years in between then and now. Thanks god. But who knows, maybe some of those songs will appear here...
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

Flathead wrote:This is the most interesting Pink Floyd-related tune sing High Hopes.

The title track of On an Island is a great tune as well. The best Floyd song from the 1995-2017 period.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Kerry King wrote:
mastaflatch wrote: Please don't victimize yourself - you're the one that singled out a comment I've made, acting like the police of good taste and saying that appreciating Waters solo stuff is borderline "pathological".

"Police of good taste"? ha. So I guess you're the arsehole of the forum?

Do I sound like a victim to you? Fuck off. How's that?

I've got barely 100 posts in over 7 years here. Accusing me of dragging down this forum is absurd. You've bogged this place down with far more words than I ever could.

The bass in this new song is a rehash of old pink floyd songs and it's not worthy of praise. But I don't care if you like it. Good for you. You've allowed Waters to coast for 25 years by lapping up everything he repackages for you.

You're the reason the upkeep of his talents became unnecessary in his pursuit of disposable income. He doesn't have to try too hard to amuse you. You're easy. You're his target audience. You're a demographic he can count on.
You're hilarious in a cute way. Real tough!! Are you the real guy from Slayer?

For the fun of it, let's just list some things that I haven't bought from our dear lads:

- Waters tickets for any of his shows since 2000/01. Loved that one though - never felt that seeing him pay tribute to DSOTM or The Wall was all that interesting to me. I wanted to see Roger Waters, the solo artist, and hear cuts from ATD. And the pre-recorded vocals sealed the deal for me - I think it's a cheat (alright he had some even back in 1984 but it's still a cheat).
- Any Gilmour solo shows - maybe I would have if he'd played closer to home though.
- On An Island or any live Gilmour album or DVD but I fancy on getting the Meltdown one.
- Radio KAOS, Ça Ira, Flickering Flame or any Waters live album or DVD.
- My daughter got me a DSOTM t-shirt. That's the only piece of clothing I have from any band (except my own - for sale btw).

So, sad to say, but you don't have fucking clue about me - not that you should either. But please go on...

I'll buy his new album because Waters is an artist whose work I respect even though "not everything can be a fucking masterpiece". I still listen to ATD on a regular basis and hear stuff that I hadn't noticed before and find new meanings in his lyrics as I grow older and learn about some references he wrote about. I just love that album and the stuff he did with his old band, so sue me. I disliked most of the songs he's released in the 00s (Hello (I Love You) being the worst of the batch, by far) but I have a good feeling about this. There's a possibility that I won't like it too and I will post about it here or elsewhere, I don't have a problem with criticizing complacent artists - I don't have idols. It wouldn't be the first time I buy an album just to learn 35 minutes later that I won't listen to it again. But again, I doubt it's gonna happen. I will, at least, give it time to sink in before dismissing it early - some albums/song need time to reveal themselves.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

lol, to be fair, I'm still talking about Pink Floyd while he gets his panties all in a bunch. I thought that I had to demontrate that he lazily resorts to the old straw man arguments. Having done that, he can make a fool of himself without me.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

kjek1 wrote:people will think "well he's a Barrett guy so there's no bias there when he's bigging up Roger!"
Don't a lot of Barrett fans blame Waters for driving Barrett crazy - or at least for calling him crazy? :lol:

Anyway, smelling the roses and rattling those locks,
one might appreciate how crazy Barrett filled up two solo albums without getting anywhere as boring as those by all the other Floyds. \:D/