There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:What did Waters do to you that you just just can't stand him at all?
He made Gilmour cry. :cry: :P

I think it's mostly Gilmour Floyd putting down Waters as some enemy.
Behind a smile, Gilmour has been very harsh about Waters.
Especially about the album 'The Final Cut' (1983).

A lot of Gilmour fans only seem to notice Waters being harsh.
Gilmour has a better social selfpresentation. He can smile and be harsh at the same time.
Waters looks harsh while being harsh. Waters is more direct. When he's grumpy, his whole appearance is grumpy.
So, Gilmour looks like this friendly person being attacked by a harsh person.

And friendly smiling Wright could snort away 'The Wall' sessions,
while Waters gets the blame for being too harsh to him.
That's what a smile can do.

Gilmour and Wright have a better social presentation.
They are the "gentlemen".

Also, Gilmour Floyd ("Pink Floyd") is more popular than some former member named Waters.
So, Pink Floyd will always get much more support than some solo member.
danielcaux wrote:Get over this stupid "Gilmour vs. Waters" mentality.
Indeed! Go listen to Syd Barrett, instead! :P
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

kjek1 wrote: It's not a myth, it's a fact... Gilmour and Wright came up with the best ones.
Wish you were here, comfortably numb, Echoes. Pink Floyd's most popular songs are bulging with Gilmour melody.
A fact? Just because that's what you want to believe doesn't make that a fact. Where's the evidence? Apart from Comfortably Numb and Run Like Hell (musically WYWH was a joint venture with Waters and Echoes was a whole band creation) I don't think Gilmour by his own brought any fully developed song to the band to work with. Roger did. A lot.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Wel fat old sun comes To mind. Not sure what you mean, first waters is the architect and driving force with the vision and Wrigjt and Gilmour arrange his ideas. Then he brings fully developed songs? I don't think he fully developed anything without help. I don't think that's ever been the case. Some of the wall maybe (and it sure shows). Maybe Vera? Barf...
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wolfpack wrote:
danielcaux wrote:What did Waters do to you that you just just can't stand him at all?
He made Gilmour cry. :cry: :P

I think it's mostly Gilmour Floyd putting down Waters as some enemy.
Behind a smile, Gilmour has been very harsh about Waters.
Especially about the album 'The Final Cut' (1983).

A lot of Gilmour fans only seem to notice Waters being harsh.
Gilmour has a better social selfpresentation. He can smile and be harsh at the same time.
Waters looks harsh while being harsh. Waters is more direct. When he's grumpy, his whole appearance is grumpy.
So, Gilmour looks like this friendly person being attacked by a harsh person.

And friendly smiling Wright could snort away 'The Wall' sessions,
while Waters gets the blame for being too harsh to him.
That's what a smile can do.

Gilmour and Wright have a better social presentation.
They are the "gentlemen".

Also, Gilmour Floyd ("Pink Floyd") is more popular than some former member named Waters.
So, Pink Floyd will always get much more support than some solo member.
danielcaux wrote:Get over this stupid "Gilmour vs. Waters" mentality.
Indeed! Go listen to Syd Barrett, instead! :P
What an embarrassing pile of shite that was :lol:

"Ohhhh Rogers just honest, Dave's secretly an arsehole, he just smiles to hide it"

That's tragic even by Roger fanboy standards. Where's your evidence for any of this?

When it comes to songwriting I don't just use the credits I use my ear, you seemingly just decide that you prefer Roger and that's enough to attribute everything to him. Fanboy behaviour
mainly lurking
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mainly lurking »

danielcaux wrote:
kjek1 wrote: Roger was the driving force and pretty much their musical director during those years. The director of the "Pink Floyd Orchestra" if you like. Gilmour and Wright were great musicians sure, but they needed someone like Roger who pushed them to their limits in order to come up with the good stuff. You can even watch him in action on Pompeii, telling Gilmour how he should play the background guitar solo during BD. And I for one I'm really glad they all were able to work together at that time. They gave us marvelous music, that wouldn't be as great if any of them hadn't been part of those albums.

Just to clarify; Dark Side of the Moon was already fully recorded at the time the Abbey Road footage was filmed. Those film sequences was staged since the band was in the process of mixing the album.
According to Mason, not even Roger would interfere with David's playing.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

mainly lurking wrote:Just to clarify; Dark Side of the Moon was already fully recorded at the time the Abbey Road footage was filmed. Those film sequences was staged since the band was in the process of mixing the album.
Mason's a liar. Roger uttering the words "that didn't sound quite as toppy" is cast iron proof that he did it all.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

toppy(Adjective) Having a top or peak

toppy(Adjective) Top-heavy.

toppy(Adjective) High-quality (of animals).

toppy(Adjective) Characterised by lots of treble.

toppy (Adjective) Unstable, too high

I'll go with "too high". Even though Gilmour said we could trust them.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

kjek1 wrote:"Ohhhh Rogers just honest, Dave's secretly an arsehole, he just smiles to hide it"

That's tragic even by Roger fanboy standards. Where's your evidence for any of this?
Those are your words, not mine. [-X
kjek1 wrote:you seemingly just decide that you prefer Roger
You seem to love your role as keyboard judge, deciding who's a fanboy of whom.
What about your fanboy behaviour?
Gilmour can't do anything wrong to you, it seems.
kjek1 wrote:
mainly lurking wrote:Just to clarify; Dark Side of the Moon was already fully recorded at the time the Abbey Road footage was filmed. Those film sequences was staged since the band was in the process of mixing the album.
Mason's a liar. Roger uttering the words "that didn't sound quite as toppy" is cast iron proof that he did it all.
So, according to you, Mason can be a liar?
And Gilmour can't be a liar, according to you? When he talks about 'The Final Cut'?

If the words "that didn't sound quite as toppy" mean that Waters wasn't fully satisfied, then that's just part of a motivation to get the most out of Gilmour. It's just regular studio talk.
And apparently, there was a previous Gilmour take that Waters found more toppy. He is comparing those takes.

BTW. Wasn't the Abbey Road footage from the quadrophonic sessions, doing overdubs?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Wolfpack wrote:"Ohhhh Rogers just honest, Dave's secretly an arsehole, he Those are your words, not mine. [-X

You seem to love your role as keyboard judge, deciding who's a fanboy of whom.
What about your fanboy behaviour?
Gilmour can't do anything wrong to you, it seems.

So, according to you, Mason can be a liar?
And Gilmour can't be a liar, according to you? When he talks about 'The Final Cut'?

If the words "that didn't sound quite as toppy" mean that Waters wasn't fully satisfied, then that's just part of a motivation to get the most out of Gilmour. It's just regular studio talk.
And apparently, there was a previous Gilmour take that Waters found more toppy. He is comparing those takes.

BTW. Wasn't the Abbey Road footage from the quadrophonic sessions, doing overdubs?
A few things here

1) I've been critical of Gilmour plenty of times, particularly his often cheesy lyrics, so if you're going to pull random bits of fantasy from your arse don't bother trying to engage in the discussion. I mean you act as if my opinion is unjustified, whilst you're attempting to lay all the credit on one man. So much so you're prepared to believe 3 people are liars and the proven egomaniac isn't :lol:

2) The Mason remark was said in jest you absolute pillock

3) the best thing is Dave hadn't actually altered his tones so it couldn't havd been "less toppy" which surely says more about Rogers lack of ear than anything in that tiny snippet. But nah you and the other Watersette's keep using that 10 second clip as some sort of proof of his self management of the groups work

By the way, for a brilliant insight into Roger's ego and insecurities with regards to Pink Floyd watch "the story of Wish You Were here".

"My songs. My album, my homage, when I wrote" coupled with "I still think i could have sang it better than Roy". The incessant need to continually and repetitively make it all about himself and to portray himself as the superior force tells all you need to know about the man (it reeks of ego and insecurity), while he's mellowed deep down he's still an egomaniac with a thirst for all the glory and an unwillingness to share. Just to further supplement this view since I like to use evidence rather than to dream up nonsense, Tim Renwick says it wasn't any different at Live 8. Rog showed up, decided he was going to start picking the songs before Dave quickly put his foot down and said "no, we're Pink Floyd, you're playing with us" and made it a group thing.

But like I said, why look at history when you can just go into One Direction fan girl mode instead :lol:
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

By the way he's got another little clip out which is basically "the Final Cut"
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

kjek1 wrote:whilst you're attempting to lay all the credit on one man.
I've never done that. You're using a straw man.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
kjek1 wrote:3) the best thing is Dave hadn't actually altered his tones so it couldn't havd been "less toppy" which surely says more about Rogers lack of ear than anything in that tiny snippet. But nah you and the other Watersette's keep using that 10 second clip as some sort of proof of his self management of the groups work
You're using that clip as some sort of proof of how terrible Waters's behaviour is according to you.

Amazing how Pink Floyd ever made an album, despite that lousy band member. They should have kicked him out before he got a chance to even think of that oh so horrible downhill flop album 'The Wall', no less than two discs of musical suffering. They could have made a real classic Pink Floyd album, instead! What to think of a lost album like "Pros and Cons of Wet Dreams", co-snorted by Waters and Wright? No, we got 'The Wall'! ](*,)
Where was Kjek1 when Pink Floyd needed him? All those albums, including 'The Dark Side of the Moon', suffering from a band member with a "lack of ear". :lol:
kjek1 wrote:By the way, for a brilliant insight into Roger's ego and insecurities with regards to Pink Floyd watch "the story of Wish You Were here".

"My songs. My album, my homage, when I wrote" coupled with "I still think i could have sang it better than Roy". The incessant need to continually and repetitively make it all about himself and to portray himself as the superior force tells all you need to know about the man (it reeks of ego and insecurity), while he's mellowed deep down he's still an egomaniac with a thirst for all the glory and an unwillingness to share. Just to further supplement this view since I like to use evidence rather than to dream up nonsense, Tim Renwick says it wasn't any different at Live 8. Rog showed up, decided he was going to start picking the songs before Dave quickly put his foot down and said "no, we're Pink Floyd, you're playing with us" and made it a group thing.
How does someone dare to be bossy and to have an ego!
Who does he think he is! A very important member of Pink Floyd, or something?! :shock:

Oh, what a horrible man! I'm gonna burn all my Pink Floyd albums from the Waters period. I can't listen to such a criminal.
We could have had an album as great as 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' already in 1968! :P
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

The Torygraph, sorry The TELEGRAPH has an interview with Roger. You have to subscribe etc, or take the free account for one article per week.
So I took one for the team! PREPARE THE SMELLING SALTS!! PREPARE FIREPROOF CLOTHING WHEN STANDING NEXT TO WATERS VS GILMOUR DEBATES!! ROLL THE SOUND EFFECTS! ACTION! DROP IT ON THEM!!

Pink Floyd's Roger Waters: ‘Dave Gilmour and I will never be mates’ - interview

Roger Waters

Neil McCormick, music critic
4 MAY 2017 • 7:00AM
For someone who preaches peace and love, Roger Waters picks a lot of fights. The 73-year-old, who regularly speaks out against far-Right politicians and “greedy” corporations, has been feuding with former Pink Floyd bandmate Dave Gilmour for more than 30 years and revels in stirring arguments.

“Of course I’m belligerent,” announces the four-time divorcee when we meet in a recording studio in New York. Considering the dedicated way in which he has pursued his vendetta against Gilmour, I suppose this shouldn’t come as a surprise. But, with millions in his bank account and a major Pink Floyd retrospective about to open at the V&A Museum in London, to which Waters has given his blessing, I had assumed he might have mellowed.

Not a bit of it.

“Dave and I are not mates, we never were and I doubt we ever will be,” he says. “Which is fine, there’s no reason why we should be.” The exhibition, called Their Mortal Remains, promises to be a real blockbuster, in the vein of the V&A’s 2013 David Bowie show, revealing more than 350 artefacts, from hand-written lyrics to musical instruments, original artwork and the band’s famous inflatable stage props.

Waters says he is happy about the exhibition but, during a discussion about the relative values placed on lyrics, melody and arrangement in his songwriting, it becomes obvious that he still bears a grudge about the way he was treated by the band and, in particular, the way they dismissed his musical abilities.

“The music is hugely important to me,” he says. “It may sound daft to say, but over the years I maybe haven’t taken quite enough credit for it. I think the idea that Rick [Wright, keyboard player] and David particularly tried to sell me in the band, when I was a young man, was that I was a bit of a headmaster but I shouldn’t bother myself with music because I wasn’t musical. It’s absolute crap. I’m twice the musician either of those guys ever were. I just am. I’ve got it. It’s in me.”

The public can assess this claim for themselves next month, when Waters releases his first solo album for 25 years. Is This the Life We Really Want? is a politically charged concept album on which Waters rails against warmongering governments, mourns the plight of refugees, calls Donald Trump a nincompoop and generally vents his spleen at the inequalities of the modern world.

“I recognise a theme that I keep returning to, in all my work since Echoes (from Pink Floyd’s Meddle in 1971). It’s an obsessive belief in a humanity that we share, which makes it possible for me to empathise with you, whoever you are. But for some of us, it’s so deeply buried that we will never touch it.

“President Trump, there’s no way he’ll ever empathise with anybody. If you talk about love to him, it would be like talking Swahili – he couldn’t understand it. But I still believe it’s there. I’m in love with the idea that there is no ‘us and them’.”

Waters’s forthcoming tour is named Us + Them after the classic song from Dark Side of the Moon. It kicks off in America at the end of May. His previous tour of The Wall is the highest-ever grossing by a solo musician. Apparently, Trump attended a show at Madison Square Garden in 2010, but left at the interval. “So he saw the wall being built but didn’t wait for it to be torn down.”

The album’s tone veers between elegiac sorrow, righteous anger and world-weary cynicism, in a sonic landscape of vast synths, shimmering acoustic guitars and cavernous drums, all linked by odd tape loops and Waters’s dry, elliptical narration. It is hugely reminiscent of Floyd’s classic Seventies work, from Dark Side of the Moon to The Wall. Waters ascribes this to the input of Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich.

“He’s a fan. I think he would admit this is a sort of homage. All the found voices and sound effects were made using analogue tape loops. It’s been 50 years since I saw anybody try that. I love the random nature of it. You know, we were doing it in the Floyd way back in 1969. We would arrive at a point in the show and have a little transistor radio on the stage, put a microphone in front of it, stop playing and turn it on. Just go and make a cup of tea.”

Interestingly, Waters turns out not to be a fan of Radiohead, a group many see as carrying on Floyd’s experimental mantle. “I find it sort of impenetrable. I like my rock’n’roll to be very direct. I don’t want to be digging around trying to figure out the meaning.”

For someone with so much to say, it is interesting to consider that Waters’s songwriting career came about by accident. When Pink Floyd formed in 1965, Waters was the bassist, content to follow childhood friend Syd Barrett’s lead. Following the release of their debut album, The Piper at the Gate of Dawn in 1967, Barrett’s descent into drug-induced psychosis led to the recruitment of guitarist Gilmour and the departure of their founder.

“When Syd went crazy, either we gave up or somebody started writing. So it was a matter of necessity. You can’t have a band without songs, however crappy they might be. And there are a huge number of bands out there who have writers who are useless. Frankly, most rock’n’roll is awful.”

Waters and Gilmour shared vocal duties, and all four members (with Rick Wright and drummer Nick Mason) contributed musically. But as time went on, Waters increasingly took the creative reins, leading to growing resentments and disagreement. When Waters quit in 1985, “I hoped that was the end of Floyd.” Waters sued his bandmates to stop them using the name – a decision about which he will now shrug and frankly say: “I was wrong.” Although the quartet reunited to headline Live8 in 2005, there has never been any realistic possibility of rapprochement.

Wright died in 2008. Mason, however, remains close to all parties and was key to facilitating the V&A exhibition.

“I love Nick. And he loves me. We were always close. But you can be creative without being friends. David and I did a lot of really great work together, which wouldn’t exist without both of us being there.”

Floyd released three albums after Waters departed (A Momentary Lapse of Reason in 1986, The Division Bell in 1994 and 2016’s final posthumous Rick Wright album, The Endless River). Waters claims to have heard only bits and pieces. “I’m just not really interested. It’s not my business to be judging any of that.”

When it came to mounting an exhibition, he says there was “a little bit of negotiation about what should happen. I’ve always been a bit lairy about what I did with Pink Floyd being mixed up with the later version I had nothing to do with. But that’s all sorted. They’re in different rooms.”

And will he take the time to examine those rooms when he visits the exhibition? “I think you have to go through them to get out. That’s how it’s designed. I don’t think you can skip it,” Waters laughs. “That’s fine. Whatever. There is no escape.”

Is This the Life We Really Want? is released by Columbia on June 2. Pink Floyd: Their Mortal Remains opens at the V&A Museum, London SW7, on May 13. Click here for more information.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what-t ... g_share_em
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

He lost me at twice the musician. He needs so much recognition. Maybe something from his childhood. Who knows. The problem and where he stands out is saying she like that. Labelling himself a genius. Criticising other people's work. Name one interview where Gilmour makes fun of radio kaos (or any other Roger solo tripe; imagine how menial it sounds to them).
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

raisemyrent wrote:He lost me at twice the musician. He needs so much recognition. Maybe something from his childhood. Who knows. The problem and where he stands out is saying she like that. Labelling himself a genius. Criticising other people's work. Name one interview where Gilmour makes fun of radio kaos (or any other Roger solo tripe; imagine how menial it sounds to them).
After I made that post, I tried to have a shit only to discover I'd laughed my arse off! The exhibition has the post-Waters years in a separate room! A room you have to go through to get to the exit! I mean... You couldn't even write that into a sitcom! And now I'm reminded of that Far Side cartoon where a guy is being photographed with a Rhino and the cameraman is all "Wait! This species can't tell between laughing at or laughing with!".

Still buying the album. Would have stopped grinning at the mere mention of his name by then. :lol:
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Oh boy - Roger is so far up his own arse it's a miracle he hasn't disappeared.