There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by Wolfpack »

Flathead wrote:Loving this new clip. Nice piano piece, and funny as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCXIyXAsDjo
For me, this seems just a man playing a little piano and not being very good at it.
According to comments comparing this piano piece with 'Goodbye Cruel World' (1979), it's "same progression, different key".
Flathead wrote:BTW, Roger's comment on Dave and Rick and "better musician" obviously comes from a place of insecurity, but also it's to promote the record.
How do haughty comments promote the album, attacking other artists?
Would the album be less promoted if he would have praised Gilmour and Wright?
Flathead wrote:I truly think Roger thinks David is amazing, and feels threatened, and in a way envious. But he's not going to let Dave know, because it's been said Dave has a hell of an ego, too.
azza200 wrote:Yet David has not publicly said anything negative towards Roger for decades in interviews. So where is the ego like you are pathetically claiming.
All Pink Floyd members have huge ego's.
Only Waters is the most talkative about who's the best.
And if that's because he's insecure, he has less of an ego than the others. ;)
azza200 wrote:why does he lip sync on songs??
Waters lip-synchs because his voice is worn too much.
The old Art Garfunkel had to use autotune. Does this make him less of a musician, getting too old to fully replicate his younger years?
Flathead wrote:Let's take a look at 1978.

Rick Wright released Wet Dream. David released his self-titled. And Roger Waters released the Wall demos to the rest of Pink Floyd.

As far as 1978, Roger is INDEED a better musician and artist than Rick Wright and David Gilmour.
What is a "better musician" if he still needs "inferior" musicians like Gilmour and Wright, in order to be this "better musician"?
(And with "musician", I also mean composer.)
Flathead wrote:...and when you listen to absolute Sting-like, adult-contemporary junk like this Gilmour song "Today", you wonder if Roger may be right.

This is absolutely horrible music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYXrQPidJkw
Sounds like an overproduced amateur song to me.
The production hides the lack of a memorable vocal line.

However, would it make a difference to you if the lyrics were great?
Without lyrics, and even with lyrics, also Waters's music can be horribly amateur. Boring, to say the least.
kjek1 wrote:Another brick, mother and Vera? Those are substandard melodies with good lyrics.
Substandard melodies?! :lol:
kjek1 wrote:Thanks for clearing up that he's not as good a guitar player though. We'd never have known that from a guy who didn't always play his own instrument and couldn't play a basic bit of acoustic guitar on the making Dark side and WYWH docu's without buzzing strings all over the place :lol:
Did Mozart play all the instruments himself?
You know what a composer is?
kjek1 wrote:
Flathead wrote:Another Brick was a #1 single. You don;t get that without writing a damn catchy melody.

Roger also wrote the melody for Money, the band's first major hit.

So, the two most successful singles (songs chosen for melody and commercial appeal) were written by Waters.
The only Floyd fans who care about singles are casual ones with little knowledge of the band
Sometimes you sound a bit like grumpy old Waters to me. :P
I bet you have at least twice the knowledge of any Pink Floyd fan. :lol:
kjek1 wrote:Money's probably the worst track on Dark Side and Another Brick by Floyd standards, is a crap one chord tune.
'Money' the worst track of 'The Dark Side of the Moon'? :shock:
Yeah, let's listen to 'Speak to Me' and 'Any Colour You Like'. Far better! :lol:
kjek1 wrote:Sorry dude, but just because Roger wrote a melody doesn't make it great.
Just because you're judging that Waters wrote substandard melodies doesn't make them substandard.
Follix wrote:I don't think melody is an important part of Pink Floyd's success, much more about keyboard/guitar chemistry along with the lyrics. And frankly David Gilmour voice is often overlooked, just like his guitar playing it's not technically amazing but it just feels right.
I think vocal melody is a very important part of Pink Floyd, unless you rather have something instrumental like 'The Endless River'.
Gilmour has a great voice, but a great voice needs a great melody to be a great voice.

Vocal lines not important for Pink Floyd... :lol:
Does anyone listen to 'Echoes' for only the "ping!" and the wailing guitar?
Or is it the "overhead the albatross" vocals, greatly sung by Gilmour and Wright?
Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote:Another Brick by Floyd standards, is a crap one chord tune.
One chord or not, it's awesome, and better than anything suck-ass bands like Genesis, Dream Theater, Yes, and Rush ever wrote with all the chords in the world.
Hey! Have you ever heard of the early Genesis, with Peter Gabriel?
Do you know 'Supper's Ready' (1972)?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supper%27s_Ready
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

You realise simply multi quoting and laughing off each of my points obnoxiously doesn't invalidate them or make you right?

I'll take Any Colour You Like over Money every day of the week. And speak to me marks the greatest intro to any studio album ever.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

kjek1 wrote:You realise simply multi quoting and laughing off each of my points obnoxiously doesn't invalidate them or make you right?
Each of your points? Don't exaggerate.
And I'm not just laughing off points, I also explain why I find them hilarious. :D
kjek1 wrote:I'll take Any Colour You Like over Money every day of the week. And speak to me marks the greatest intro to any studio album ever.
Liking 'Any Colour You Like' more than 'Money'?
Well, okay, each his/her own taste.

I prefer the intro of 'The Piper at the Gates of Dawn', with the megaphone and the fake morse bleeping.
And I like the intro of 'More', with the bird sounds.
For me the greatest album intro is on 'A Night at the Opera' (1975), by Queen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Night_a ... een_album)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

kjek1 wrote:The songs would never exist without the chords, they're the basis of the entire thing.
Exactly! That's why Roger's role as main songwriter during the 70s was so important for the Floyd! Without those chords there wouldn't be any songs for Gilmour to play those amazing solos! That's why it's so unfair when people try to reduce Waters to a simple lyricist, when he was in fact the main SONGWRITER, the one coming with the basic chords and melody for a song: Shine On Pt. 4, Have A Cigar, Welcome To The Machine, WYWH... all them were Roger songs! Too bad Gilmourheads seem to have a lot of trouble accepting that. If only they would listen to Gilmour own words at least! :lol

Anyway, thanks for that article Jimi Dean! Nice interview, but it's just me or the reporter was really trying hard to give it a nasty spin to the whole thing? The whole headline and intro, and inserting comments like "his own vendetta against Gilmour"? WTF was all that!!!???? It was almost tabloid worthy!!

And regarding Waters' comment about him been a better musician, I'm pretty sure he was not refering to him actually being technically better (which would be completely delusional indeed!), but more like a better musician "creatively", someone who comes up with a better a musical product. Which is debateable, but at least something reasonable. Sure, Gilmour is great at playing songs, awesome really, but where's his own creative magnun opus like The Wall or Amused To Death? 40 years later and still waiting...
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Again...the wall want all waters. It was at the demo stage and described by the band as "unlistenable". Weight said it was just one very long song. Everything was the same key tempo etc. Hard to ignore that kind of criticism from your own band member. Better fire him.
And again, amused to death is NOT a magnum opus. It's the least worst album by Roger. Far from a magnum opus. And it sounds like the wall reborn so nothing special about that.
Flathead, you're way out of line. You accepted rather reasonably that Roger was being unreasonable in that interview. Then declared him:
- a genius
- an amazing lyricist
- a better musician
- synthesiser
- better melody writer
I forget the rest. He used to be 1 of those hints above. Guess which.

And then you grab one of the worst Gilmour songs and compare it. Out of the TWO albums that do NOT sound like TDB offcuts (image that) that he's released since the last Floyd album and use it as proof. Again, there is no criticising Gilmour because he does not pretend to be a genius, he does not claim to be the creative force behind Pink Floyd, and he does not use the Pink Floyd name to issue garbage, which is where Waters had got to (seriously the final cut is the final turd). So yeah criticise him but it's futile. Waters is the mentalist.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:
kjek1 wrote:The songs would never exist without the chords, they're the basis of the entire thing.
Exactly! That's why Roger's role as main songwriter during the 70s was so important for the Floyd! Without those chords there wouldn't be any songs for Gilmour to play those amazing solos! That's why it's so unfair when people try to reduce Waters to a simple lyricist, when he was in fact the main SONGWRITER, the one coming with the basic chords and melody for a song: Shine On Pt. 4, Have A Cigar, Welcome To The Machine, WYWH... all them were Roger songs! Too bad Gilmourheads seem to have a lot of trouble accepting that. If only they would listen to Gilmour own words at least! :lol

Anyway, thanks for that article Jimi Dean! Nice interview, but it's just me or the reporter was really trying hard to give it a nasty spin to the whole thing? The whole headline and intro, and inserting comments like "his own vendetta against Gilmour"? WTF was all that!!!???? It was almost tabloid worthy!!

And regarding Waters' comment about him been a better musician, I'm pretty sure he was not refering to him actually being technically better (which would be completely delusional indeed!), but more like a better musician "creatively", someone who comes up with a better a musical product. Which is debateable, but at least something reasonable. Sure, Gilmour is great at playing songs, awesome really, but where's his own creative magnun opus like The Wall or Amused To Death? 40 years later and still waiting...

But he didn't write those, you've simply chosen to believe that he did. Only a deluded Waters fangirl would peddle that nonsense, of which you are plentiful on here.

Mugs, I could write what most of you know, on the back of a postage stamp with a bingo pen.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Ok. Guess you know more than Gilmour and Waters and all the biographers and people close to the band then! Thanks for clarifying that. I suppose Gilmour was just lying when he said that those four chords inspired Roger to write the Shine On song, and when he said that they both wrote the verses for WYWH. And I guess it makes you happier to believe that Have A Cigar and WTTM were written by Gilmour and not Waters as its very clearly stated on the credits of both... Ok whatever. I'm not going to burst your bubble, but please stop trying to pass it as reality and acting like such a prick while doing that ;)

Also, it's being a "girl" supposedly an insult? Yeez, you are quite something!
Last edited by danielcaux on Sat May 06, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:Ok. Guess you know more than Gilmour and Waters and all the biographers and people close to the band then! Thanks for clarifying that. I suppose Gilmour was just lying when he said that those four chords inspired Roger to write the Shine On song, and when he said that they both wrote the verses for WYWH. And I guess it makes you happier to believe that Have A Cigar and WTTM were written by Gilmour and not Waters as its very clearly stated on the credits of both... Ok whatever. I'm not going to burst your bubble, but please stop trying to pass it as reality and acting like such a prick while doing that ;)
Wrote the verses together? So Roger didn't write it himself? And when Gilmour says evoked a song he's talking about the lyrics, because you know, they're about Syd. WTTM, fair enough, you can cherry pick that suit your argument if you like.

Take your own advice you condescending arsehole
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:Ok. Guess you know more than Gilmour and Waters and all the biographers and people close to the band then! Thanks for clarifying that. I suppose Gilmour was just lying when he said that those four chords inspired Roger to write the Shine On song, and when he said that they both wrote the verses for WYWH. And I guess it makes you happier to believe that Have A Cigar and WTTM were written by Gilmour and not Waters as its very clearly stated on the credits of both... Ok whatever. I'm not going to burst your bubble, but please stop trying to pass it as reality and acting like such a prick while doing that ;)

Also, it's being a "girl" supposedly an insult? Yeez, you are quite something!
I didn't say it was did I? Specifically fangirl behaviour, not being a girl in itself. Do us a favour and stop trying to put words in my mouth.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

But you well know that all the people that you are attacking/refering to here are males, why calling us fangirls then? It's just plain childish behaviour really.

Yeah WYWH was a collaboration between the two, as I've state many times before, not a Gilmour "song" with Roger's lyrics, as Gilmourheads want to believe. Gilmour on his own just wrote the opening riff. And when talking about Shine On he does say Roger wrote "a song", not just the lyrics. You do know the difference, right? Why do you chose to believe Roger just wrote the lyrics? Oh, let me guess! Because it suits your case of "Roger is just a simple lyricist" better?? Alright. Choose to believe what makes you happy ;)
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Yet you think it's perfectly acceptable to try and paint me as a sexist in spite of the fact you know find well what I meant :lol:

Gilmourheads? Is that anyone who doesn't attribute all the credit to Roger? Moreover, what makes you think Roger knocked out all the chords on Shine On? It goes beyond G, C, D so there's s good chance it was someone else. I'd guess it wasn't all him because it doesn't sound like your typical Roger song. Of course you're free to simply choose to believe he did on the basis of you wanting it to be him :lol:

You've got a brass neck to be telling anyone what's childish. But by all means carry on and have a nice night. And if admin aren't happy with my unwillingness to take accusations the like the ones above from cretins like that feel free to nuke my account :)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I'm just stating the facts of what the bandmembers and producers have actually said about the creative process of writng those songs. I will let the speculation and mind reading of "what they really wanted to say" and "what really happened" to the fanatics.

If facts bother you, well, that's your problem, not mine.

Happy weekend people!
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

I doubt Roger wrote the 3 opening solos of ''Shine On'' or Rick part or Rick ending concerto.

I don't doubt Roger wrote most progression overall, but progression are just that, they are similar anyway... But Rick throwing his Jazz chords here and there, Gilmour playing his bluesy licks made Pink Floyd sounds like Pink Floyd. What I like the most about Roger is his lyrics and his grit, dark feeling but definitely not his musicianship.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I think that part 4 is the part with the song? That's what Roger wrote, according to Gilmour: the song. Not the whole suite of course!

It' a damn good melody though! And you will never see a Gilmourhead giving Roger credit for it! Because gilmourheads believe that every little bit of good music that Pink Floyd ever produced was the product of either Gilmour or Wright and that Roger was just a lyricist. That's like dogma for them.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It's not fact though is it Daniel? You're taking some very vague words and interpreting them as you would like to interpret them

Anyway whatever man. I'm sorry I got involved and let the little accusation get spark that sort of retort. But I'll just forget it move on. Have a good weekend lads