There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Re: There will be a new album

Post by raisemyrent »

Cheers. 2016 was a great year. You were there as well, feet from Gilmour blasting the best version of Comfortably Numb this side of Pulse on the last night. Then later that year I ticked another life box seeing Yes feat ARW live and Wakeman tearing up the Moog, wearing a cape, and using his cheeky keytat. I'd seen Yes before without wakeman ages ago but it wasn't the same. Kind of like going to a waters concert, always that feeling of something missing.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

raisemyrent wrote: I'm talking about sound quality flathead, calm down and focus. No need to get all subjective. There's wakeman making a Walmart keyboard sound good because he is good. Roger can't hide behind Goodrich's production and when it's just him and his guitar or piano, he sounds like shit. Or an old man who's had a stroke and is doing music therapy.
I understand that you veer more towards "American's Got Talent" and "American Idol" type of vocal performances, rather than great songwriters.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:
Wakeman's a tremendous musician.

He is, and a bad songwriter who needed a leader.

Agree about the production though, even then it's all poorly mixed to my ear. I just wish Roger was capable of adding some really emotive music to those lovely lyrics rather than to nick 5 years from Bowie then go all final cut once again.
If not for Pink Floyd, there is no Bowie.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Wakeman can't rock, he can't play soul or funk, he can't play jazz. He's tremendous at prog rock wankery though. Very tremendous. I like him.

Flathead, you seem incredibly insincere with your praise. It's almost as if you're here to sell the album. I'd ignore it but it grates on me. Actually, "sounds like 70s floyd" is not even praise. It's an insult. It's like saying "sounds completely derivative". I always figured a masterpiece had to at least point in a new direction or contain some breathtaking melodies. Or even some incredible words. These new Waters lyrics are far too obvious. Unless you're 13 years old. This celebration of mediocrity in the arts has to end.

The pretentiousness of would be audio engineers might be tolerable if the ones playing that role would simply acknowledge that we don't all hear everything the same way. Our ears are not all the same. It's science. Besides, engineering and production can't save a second rate song.

"how do these jaded stars get so far away?"

A: Their fans kiss their asses too much.
mainly lurking
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mainly lurking »

Kerry King wrote:Wakeman can't rock, he can't play soul or funk, he can't play jazz. He's tremendous at prog rock wankery though. Very tremendous. I like him.

Flathead, you seem incredibly insincere with your praise. It's almost as if you're here to sell the album. I'd ignore it but it grates on me. Actually, "sounds like 70s floyd" is not even praise. It's an insult. It's like saying "sounds completely derivative". I always figured a masterpiece had to at least point in a new direction or contain some breathtaking melodies. Or even some incredible words. These new Waters lyrics are far too obvious. Unless you're 13 years old. This celebration of mediocrity in the arts has to end.

The pretentiousness of would be audio engineers might be tolerable if the ones playing that role would simply acknowledge that we don't all hear everything the same way. Our ears are not all the same. It's science. Besides, engineering and production can't save a second rate song.

"how do these jaded stars get so far away?"

Best post in a long, long time here. Kudos.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I don't think flathead knows what good signing is. Luckily it doesn't matter and for hundreds of years, science and art have developed singing and there are fairly objective ways out there.
I also guess all those classical musicians performing the great works are not really musicians because they can't write a 3-4 chord song like Dylan or waters. Damn. Someone better let them know.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Kerry King wrote: "how do these jaded stars get so far away?"

Anyone who's read my posts knows I'm harsh on the other solo albums. This new one is a significant improvement, thus my excitement.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Just jumping in.
Flathead wrote:Anyone who's read my posts knows I'm harsh on the other solo albums.
What about 'Music From the Body' (1970) by Roger Waters and Ron Geesin?
If there's any "lost" Pink Floyd album, having a great concept, it's that album for me.
A journey through the human body. I miss those original ideas.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I actually just listened to it maybe last week; inspired by this post. Not much content in there, but you have to consider it is a soundtrack. Some music concréte for sure, some intanstly forgettable (the farting). Some interesting contemporary stuff by no doubt Geesin. I recommend it as an interesting listen for everyone.
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

According to an italian journalist (Andrea Scanzi) who had the chance to interview Waters, he and Godrich wanted Gilmour to make some guitar solos on the new album, but in the end nothing came of it. Maybe it's only a rumor - the journalist himself wrote "Rumor has it..." - but it would explain the latest, harsh comments that Waters delivered about his former bandmate.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

So Roger and little Neil wanted to have something on the album that Flathead was ecstatic was not on the album. Interesting :lol:

To be honest I doubt it's even true, and if it is it's beyond childish to lash out in the manner he has.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

So Dogs, Eclipse, another brick II, WYWH, Time are all in. He's using some really fancy effects too

Great gig is also in, though having heard this I wish it wasn't

https://instagram.com/p/BUZiP6Flh1x/

Sounds a little tired on the vocals but it's always nice to hear brain damage

https://instagram.com/p/BUYRHJ3lZZ-/
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Those singers doing great gig. Good to know when I can go for a piss and a drink.

As a separate thing, I really don't like Pigs. One of the low moments I think. That chorus is bad. The whole song is very uninspired musically.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The opening synth lines to "Pigs" is amazing. Hell, Animals is probably their best album.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Haha I find it cheesy and childish. Betcha it wasn't Wright who came up with it. I find animals lacking overall. Forced. So many arrangements; you can feel they used all their tricks and a few more but the content just wasn't there for such long songs. Forgettable. Animals is Pink Floyd's Tales from Topographic Oceans.

So no significant change from he last shows really? Everything looked the same in the videos.