There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: There will be a new album

Post by kjek1 »

I'm not knocking it as such. I'll listen to whatever he posts out

Just get a kick out of highlighting the hypocrisies and contradictions shown. Also as for my comment further up, I only say what I believe. I'm sure I'm not the only one of this opinion
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:Even if at its worst it's a Floyd forgery, I'll still take that over the Rock deaths of 2016!
This forum reeeeeally needs a like/thanks button. Desperately.

Maybe that simple mod would even bring it back to life...
Paul McCartney hired Godrich to produce his album Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005) after being recommended by Beatles producer George Martin. Godrich fired McCartney's touring band, and demanded that McCartney abandon songs Godrich found clichéd, over-sentimental, or subpar.
Found that in Godrich wikipedia page. Man, that's sooooo what Waters and Gilmour have been in need of all these years! Someone with the guts to tell them "hey, you know what? This song kinda sucks. Let's try to come up with better stuff. I will help."
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

They're rock musicians not pop artists.

They do what they want because THEY like it, that's why they have the drive to do it. They're not pop singers that need their hand held and to be told what to do to shift records. They don't exactly need the money either

I might not like all of their output. But I at least respect that they have courage of their own convictions
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

kjek1 wrote:They're rock musicians not pop artists.
:lol:

You so funny!

They have been recording pop records since day one. Just because it's rock doesn't mean it's not pop too. With the exception of More, Ummagumma, Music From The Body and perhaps The Endless River, all their output has been pop music. And that's specially true in the case of Gilmour solo career. Nothing wrong with that though, good pop music is fucking hard to make.

Also, there's nothing more dangerous in art than a big ego with no one to put it in check. The artists get delusional and start to think everything they shit is gold, when the truth is it's really not. That's why is so important for a musician to have partners that play the role of editor/filter/critic, who helps eliminate the bad stuff and refine the good. Gilmour and Waters had each other in the 70s, but when they parted ways they were left pretty much on their own, left only to their own criteria and taste, which made them think every mediocre musical idea they came up with was great. And as a result the quality of their art suffered. Big time.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:
:lol:

You so funny!

They have been recording pop records since day one. Just because it's rock doesn't mean it's not pop too. With the exception of More, Ummagumma, Music From The Body and perhaps The Endless River, all their output has been pop music. And that's specially true in the case of Gilmour solo career. Nothing wrong with that though, good pop music is fucking hard to make.

Also, there's nothing more dangerous in art than a big ego with no one to put it in check. The artists get delusional and start to think everything they shit is gold, when the truth is it's really not. That's why is so important for a musician to have partners that play the role of editor/filter/critic, who helps eliminate the bad stuff and refine the good. Gilmour and Waters had each other in the 70s, but when they parted ways they were left pretty much on their own, left only to their own criteria and taste, which made them think every mediocre musical idea they came up with was great. And as a result the quality of their art suffered. Big time.
What a pile of wank

If you want some arsehole producer standing there telling them what to do to appease the hordes then that's fair enough, but I can't think of anything worse. Also your attempt to liken commercial pop shite to bands that started out experimenting with their own sounds is laughable.

You'd fit in well on the X factor mate
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

They do what they want because THEY like it, that's why they have the drive to do it. They're not pop singers that need their hand held and to be told what to do to shift records. They don't exactly need the money either

I might not like all of their output. But I at least respect that they have courage of their own convictions

This is NOT how they worked. David and Roger were each others' bullshit detectors. They fought really badly over ideas. When they lost that, their music sucked.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote:Couldn't agree more with you Flathead. Both Waters and Gilmour have been for decades desperately in need of a bullshit detector/rival partner in their solo work, in order to trim the fat and cut the crap out. This little clip has me really excited because it's the first post-Wall Floyd related piece of music that has that classic 70s vibe going on.

It also kinda proves something I've been saying for years: Roger Waters' simple and spare bass sound was integral to the classic Pink Floyd sound, and it's one piece of the puzzle that both Dave Floyd and Waters' solo work have been missing all these years. Really glad to hear it back!
Yes to this x1000!

Nigel gets it. He's making Roger play bass, and getting back to the core greatness of that sound. More Roger playing bass and synth, LESS lyrics.

The sound on this clip is, without question the edgiest and most organic sounding Floyd-related work since The Wall.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote: Even if at its worst it's a Floyd forgery, I'll still take that over the Rock deaths of 2016!

The founder of the band, playing bass and sounding like the band in the 70's?

I wouldn't call that a forgery, lol.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

danielcaux wrote:
Paul McCartney hired Godrich to produce his album Chaos and Creation in the Backyard (2005) after being recommended by Beatles producer George Martin. Godrich fired McCartney's touring band, and demanded that McCartney abandon songs Godrich found clichéd, over-sentimental, or subpar.
Found that in Godrich wikipedia page. Man, that's sooooo what Waters and Gilmour have been in need of all these years! Someone with the guts to tell them "hey, you know what? This song kinda sucks. Let's try to come up with better stuff. I will help."

ha, nice! This is what David and Roger used to do for each other. To the point people would storm out of the room, lol. They need it again. David's albums have been terrible.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

They were both part of the Floyd's musical palette though. These producers aren't

You're saying "yeah they need this" then wanking to a 30 second video of him jamming Have A Cigar

It's hilarious
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Then you surely most hate Dark Side of The Moon, given Alan Parsons involvement an input in it. And The Wall, cause it was produced by Bob Ezrin. And Piper At The Gates of Dawn, because of Norman Smith. Damn all those producers messing up with the "Pink Floyd musical palette"!! No wonder why all those albums suck big time!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:Then you surely most hate Dark Side of The Moon, given Alan Parsons involvement an input in it. And The Wall, cause it was produced by Bob Ezrin. And Piper At The Gates of Dawn, because of Norman Smith. Damn all those producers messing up with the "Pink Floyd musical palette"!! No wonder why all those albums suck big time!
You're a simpleton if you think Parson's had any involvement in the actual writing of the music or direction of the album. You're talking about having someone there to hold their hand and say "that songs shit, do this instead" etc etc. None of these producers had that level of involvement, and you both know it. Also, you say Dave and Roger did this for each other, so why would Parsons or Ezrin have that involvement? So while you're in a rush to pat each other on the back as loyal Waters lapdogs, you're also contradicting each other's statements at the same time, dahaha.

You're pissing in the wind and dancing in circles after getting another custard pie in the face. But by all means keep digging, it's only going to get worse
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Yeah, keep telling yourself that ;)

Apart from all the sonic details that make DSoTM a great and iconic album, Clare Torry sang in TGGiTS because of Parsons. That track would be a lot different, and lamer, if he hadn't brought her there, don't you think? Bob Ezrin WROTE "The Trial" and probably "Is There Anybody Out There?" too, do you believe those albums would be better without those tracks? Does those tracks suck because they weren't 100% Waters or Gilmour's ideas? You seem to treat both of them as if they were sacred cows who don't need anyone else's help to up their game. The fact is, neither of them are geniuses. They need help. And specially, as Flathead said, they really need a bullshit detector who stops them from their worst tendencies.

Also, your lame attempt at putting Nigel Godrich and all other producers at the same level as some NSYNC mastermind who manipulates their artists in order to come up with a prefabricated product is really infantile. Please, grow up.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

danielcaux wrote:Yeah, keep telling yourself that ;)

Apart from all the sonic details that make DSoTM a great and iconic album, Clare Torry sang in TGGiTS because of Parsons. That track would be a lot different, and lamer, if he hadn't brought her there, don't you think? Bob Ezrin WROTE "The Trial" and probably "Is There Anybody Out There?" too, do you believe those albums would be better without those tracks? Does those tracks suck because they weren't 100% Waters or Gilmour's ideas? You seem to treat both of them as if they were sacred cows who don't need anyone else's help to up their game. The fact is, neither of them are geniuses. They need help. And specially, as Flathead said, they really need a bullshit detector who stops them from their worst tendencies.

Also, your lame attempt at putting Nigel Godrich and all other producers at the same level as some NSYNC mastermind who manipulates their artists in order to come up with a prefabricated product is really infantile. Please, grow up.
Neither of them are particularly good tracks and save for a few tracks the wall isn't a very good album musically, because it's mostly Waters flying solo.

"Probably wrote", if you don't know the facts piss off and do one. I'm not here to speculate what might have happened. Tory is a fair point, but literally your ONLY valid point, and great gig isn't exactly Dark Sides stand out moment is it?

I've at least explainsd and reasoned my stance, you haven't, which adds a bit of irony to your last remark. Which by the way, you can stick up your arse, assuming flathead's head hasn't jammed it up already
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

If I cop a ban for that fair enough. I'm not really interested in any further debate on the subject anyway.