New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Hudini »

henno wrote:had a good chuckle at this though
“The Endless River” is for those fans who get Pink Floyd, who are moved on a profound level by the music, regardless of its origin.
This kind of defense is as bad and poorly based as the bashing done by the other side. But, I like it in a way. The next time someone tries to convince me that TER is a bad album, I'll just tell them they don't get Pink Floyd. :D
henno

Post by henno »

Hudini wrote: This kind of defense is as bad and poorly based as the bashing done by the other side. But, I like it in a way. The next time someone tries to convince me that TER is a bad album, I'll just tell them they don't get Pink Floyd. :D
oh completely agreed.....

i was just making the point that using some obscure site on the internet as some find of 'faux proof' of your point is utterly pointless as you can always find something somewhere which will give the total opposite

:D
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

De gustibus non es disputandum (In matters of taste there can be no disputes)

But I still prefer the salt-of-the-Earth version: Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

Fact of the matter is Endless River has sold quite well, and people continue to vote with their wallet, which is the only true tally that stands the test of time.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

TER does not have enough songs about Syd Barrett. And it needs more sound fx. Like cars going by and birds and Bob Ezrin's grandchildren mumbling while clocks go off. It could also use some more profound sounding lyrics dealing with self pity, politics and war. And with more screaming. It is also disappointing in it's lack of songs about tragic ax accidents. Or axidents, if you will. And the album cover would have been better if it had a prism or a triangle shape on it, with rainbows, or some flying farm animals, or a man on fire and a naked woman hitchiking. At least it wasn't more beds.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Now that's some constructive criticism! :lol:
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

TER is not a bad album. As far as outtakes and rarities albums go it actually is a pretty good one. It's just simply not a proper Pink Floyd studio album, like all the rest. Once you accept that you can actually enjoy it for what it is.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Any time you have to rationalize an album by saying "if you accept it for what it is", you've already acknowledged it's an inferior work.

I can accept McDonald's food for "what it is", too.
Last edited by Flathead on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

lurkingfear wrote:De gustibus non es disputandum (In matters of taste there can be no disputes)

But I still prefer the salt-of-the-Earth version: Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one.

Fact of the matter is Endless River has sold quite well, and people continue to vote with their wallet, which is the only true tally that stands the test of time.
So review aggregation sites and critical consensus don't mean anything, but sales do?

Interesting....
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

Thus returns the Flathead Debate.
*grabs popcorn*
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Flathead wrote:So review aggregation sites and critical consensus don't mean anything, but sales do?
Unlike reviews which are purely subjective and critical consensus on certain websites which can be rigged depending on editors' decision to include or exclude certain reviews to their convenience, sales are a completely objective indicator, which however does not indicate the quality of a release but simply the interest of the general public. In short, review aggregation and sales charts do not point at the same thing and can't be measured against one another. And sure, sales do mean something, but you can't measure quality by a quantitative indicator. In fact, it's highly debatable whether quality is measurable at all, despite what some people like to believe.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

If you need other people's reviews and ratings, and/or sales figures to justify your own taste in music then you don't really have your own taste in music. You're still hung up on peer pressure and popularity contests.
If you're simply interested in others opinions, here's mine:This album exists to keep the cash flow flowing. If it existed for any other reason (tribute to Rick Wright, for the fans etc) Gilmour and his management could have put it up as a free download.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

I actually don't feel chart success the be all and end all you might think from my posts, but I just feel charting the album's current position in this thread as it gives me something to contribute as well as not being able to have the chance to do this when AHM was released.
The only PF album growing up the charts this week is DSOTM up ten to 77.
But it's finally happened, it's dropped out of the Top 20 (Heh! Do you remember when newspapers used to print the top 20 albums, instead of just the top 10 if anything?).
All the way down to the depths of 26. 11 weeks in. http://www.officialcharts.com/albums-chart/
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:But it's finally happened, it's dropped out of the Top 20.
All the way down to the depths of 26. 11 weeks in.
And what does this have to do with the artistic merit of the album?
A: Nothing.

But the album was not put up for sale because of it's artistic merit, was it? It was put up for sale because the brand name Pink Floyd guarantees that a bunch of indiscriminate, raving and drooling consumers will buy it. It was put up for sale to make money. Otherwise, why not a free download?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Nick Mason has basically said that it was going to be free at some
Point but likely U2's fiasco put them off.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

raisemyrent wrote:Nick Mason has basically said that it was going to be free at some
Point but likely U2's fiasco put them off.
Well let's have the tapes of your live stuff remastered and made free downloads then, if you'r offering Mr Mason!

And Kerry King:
And what does this have to do with the artistic merit of the album?
A: Nothing.

But the album was not put up for sale because of it's artistic merit, was it? It was put up for sale because the brand name Pink Floyd guarantees that a bunch of indiscriminate, raving and drooling consumers will buy it. It was put up for sale to make money. Otherwise, why not a free download?
Well as the indescriminate, raving and drooling brand name followers got their buck at least!
Other favourite bands I like didn't even make the top 100. (But made the top twenty in Independent albums and top ten in R&B Charts. Yes, I love "Die Antwoord" can I make a thread about them?)
And the other band went out of the top 100 in nine weeks.
For all my anal attention to the charts, TER is pretty much the only thing I've bought on that chart. Now that I come to think of it.
I am aware vaguely of who the current multi-million UK artists are now and to be honest I don't feel the need to join in with them when I've got bands like PF instead!
As I said in my post on here, we'll never get the chance to chart the fortunes of an actual Pink Floyd album.
This instead gives me the idea for another thread about "Predict the reactions if Social Media was around in 1969 Etc...".