New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by omeaeol »

I too know that TER is not a masterpiece - but is not by any means "shit" (what one of the "critics" claimed). Of course, the album's coherent nature was achieved in post-production - but it was due to the fact that one of band members has been dead. For instance, the piece Atom Heart Mother was shaped by a non-band member (Ron Geesin) after the (initially: quite messy) recordings had been done. Yet, AHM turned out to be a very unique musical journey.

And yes, I can - even favourably - compare some pieces on TER to any Barrett composition. True, Interstellar Overdrive is a masterpiece, and in this respect surpasses anything on TER - but I would not listen to IO every day (or even every week). At the same time, I can listen to TER a couple of times in a single day (and I have listened to it at least thirty times). For example, It's What We Do takes me a better place - and generally, it is the only thing that really counts for me. If I had to examine where a particular song leads me to, I would say Interstellar Overdrive is about chaos and anxiety - while It's What We Do is about harmony and peace ... and I happen to prefer the latter ones.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

I think that up to now, the song I like the best on TER is Talkin' Hawkin'. It blends elements of two of my favorite albums of the band (AHM, with the choir-like vocals and the jazzy piano motif) and Animals (the intervals in the main riff reminds me of the Dogs' instrumental part on which Gilmour sings "And when you lose control...") with a guitar sound a bit more reminescent of Gilmour circa About Face. The Hawking voice is more of an eerie sound effect to me than the role it played on Keep Talking. It is a haunting piece with a dramatic ending that doesn't sound like a sketch, an outtake or anything else than a fully realized instrumental track.
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

mastaflatch wrote:I think that up to now, the song I like the best on TER is Talkin' Hawkin'. [...] It is a haunting piece with a dramatic ending that doesn't sound like a sketch, an outtake or anything else than a fully realized instrumental track.
I have the same feeling about it; this well developed piece is quite hypnotic.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I listened to the album quite a bit during the first three weeks I had it...haven't listened to it since. I came very close on the weekend, but opted for King Crimson instead. :D
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Yeah the Hawking track is one of the highlights in the album. It's quite noticeable how much work Gilmour put into it, with the female voices and that crescendo feel and all that. It's waaaay better than the boring Keep Talking.

Too bad they gave it that dumb title though.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Disingenuous, borderline disrespectful.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

:lol:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

mastaflatch wrote:Disingenuous, borderline disrespectful.
At least they didn't call it 'Walkin' Hawkin''.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Hudini wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:Disingenuous, borderline disrespectful.
At least they didn't call it 'Walkin' Hawkin''.
[-D-]
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I agree that talking hawking is a great track! I always just heard division bell "modern" floyd on it but your insights above just gave it a new dimension.
I personally quite like TER but it's a personal thing that I can listen to brief bits of instrumental music that segue into one another. Almost like listening to just floyd on shuffle.
I agree that it's such an easy listen; I personally listened to allons-y over 200 times when it was previewed and listen to the whole album about once a day. That's mental. I've never listened to anything like that before in my life. I hate repetition and say for instance I watch a movie once however great. But TER just works. I keep discovering little bits and pieces that I'd missed all those other times.
I have to end with this can opener and this can of worms but I honestly don't find the Barrett stuff relevant anymore. I know it was great at the time but I think that it's very contextual; all I hear is semi Beatles harmonies and improvisation for the sake of improvisation. By mistake or design, you decide, but I opt for the former. And yes of course things would've been very different without him etc but I never find myself listening to early floyd or Barrett solo stuff.
Ps I like OBC way better than Meddle too
Pps I honestly don't get the keep talking bashing but each to their own
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

raisemyrent wrote:improvisation for the sake of improvisation.
What does this mean exactly?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

omeaeol wrote: Do you reject Animals because it uses 'leftovers' from Wish You Were Here? Do you hate Comfortably Numb - which is without the slightest doubt is the best song on The Wall - because it is in essence a 'borrowed' David Gilmour solo piece?
This is such a disingenuous argument. "Leftovers" from the peak of one of the great musical acts of all time are likely going to be masterpieces.

"Vera" and "San Tropez" are better than anything on TER.
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

Flathead wrote: "Vera" and "San Tropez" are better than anything on TER.
Sorry, I am not shooting at lame ducks... (In other words: I am willing to have a constructive argument with anyone but you.)
omeaeol
Axe
Axe

Post by omeaeol »

- double post -
henno

Post by henno »

Flathead wrote:
"Vera" and "San Tropez" are better than anything on TER.
well thats just mad ted !!!