New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by BertWW96 »

Flathead wrote: "Vera" and "San Tropez" are better than anything on TER.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Here everyday and two shows on Sundays!
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Round and Around is clearly the moment when Pink Floyd peaked.
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

Flathead wrote:
omeaeol wrote:
"Vera" and "San Tropez" are better than anything on TER.
once again I am reminded that opinions are like assholes- everyone has one. Some are much, much bigger than others. That doesn't make them any more relevant, despite repeating it over and over.

I'm still enjoying TER, fuck everyone else.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Flathead wrote:
omeaeol wrote: Do you reject Animals because it uses 'leftovers' from Wish You Were Here? Do you hate Comfortably Numb - which is without the slightest doubt is the best song on The Wall - because it is in essence a 'borrowed' David Gilmour solo piece?
This is such a disingenuous argument. "Leftovers" from the peak of one of the great musical acts of all time are likely going to be masterpieces.

"Vera" and "San Tropez" are better than anything on TER.

It all makes sense now - I know for sure you are taking the piss.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

What on TER is better than Vera or San Tropez? Meddle is ranked #89 all time at Rate your Music, and San Tropez is often cited as a big positive in the reviews.

Vera is brimming with emotion and bleakness, and the melody is first rate. TER sounds like 1990's keyboard workstation demos.

Come on, refute my assertion with specific examples from TER......but I'm guessing there will just be crickets, lol. There are no better examples of songwriting on TER than Vera or San Tropez.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

lurkingfear wrote:[
I'm still enjoying TER, fuck everyone else.

People still eat McDonalds, too.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

lurkingfear wrote:

once again I am reminded that opinions are like assholes- everyone has one. Some are much, much bigger than others. That doesn't make them any more relevant, despite repeating it over and over.

You realize you've just said nothing, right?
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

raisemyrent wrote: I have to end with this can opener and this can of worms but I honestly don't find the Barrett stuff relevant anymore.
Barrett's work is far more relevant than TER. The dude pretty much started alternative rock along with VU.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

nosaj wrote:I listened to the album quite a bit during the first three weeks I had it...haven't listened to it since. I came very close on the weekend, but opted for King Crimson instead. :D
There's no real reason to go back to it. It's flat and aimless.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
nosaj wrote:I listened to the album quite a bit during the first three weeks I had it...haven't listened to it since. I came very close on the weekend, but opted for King Crimson instead. :D
There's no real reason to go back to it. It's flat and aimless.
you certainly love talking about it though, almost as much as you love to state your opinion as fact.
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

Can I throw my two cents in?
I think the album is great. It's very relaxing and I feel I got what I was expecting.
Granted, some songs could be improved upon, like Anisina, but for the most part, I loved it.
And my favorite song(s?) are The Lost Art Of Conversation And On Noodle Street. (They flow together so well and feel like one song)

There they are. My two US cents.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I have never understood why Vera gets that much hate. To me it's one of the highlights of The Wall, a quite moving little pretty song full of emotion and melody, just like Goodbye Blue Sky or Bring The Boys Back Home. I guess people that hate it are the same ones that would rather have another Meddle than The Wall. Basically fans of the four man jamming Floyd but not so much of the dark and stark Waters Floyd.

As for St. Tropez... I've come to like it over the years. It's nice relaxing-laid back-joyful music, which is rare in the floyd, and thus quite valuable. I think it would have been a good b-side to a hypothetical Biding My Time single, those two share a similar vibe. So, while I wouldnt say its better than anything on TER I would agree that it's a hell of a lot better than Lousier Than Words. Actually St. Tropez would work quite well next to that Noodle Street track.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I used to like 'San Tropez' a lot but it just grew out of me somehow. And I do like 'Vera' but I still think it's a pointless little song not really crucial to the overall concept of the album. I do however start singing it for no reason when I'm drunk from time to time. 8-[
FleetingGlimpse
Embryo
Embryo

Post by FleetingGlimpse »

Personally I think this was as good as it was going to get, remember that these songs are mostly outtakes. The mixing/post-production is solid, and it makes for a good brother album to The Division Bell (an album I think is underrated)

It's now become obvious that Rick was right about things back in the early 90s. When the band voted for tracks on The Division Bell, he voted for all of his and downvoted all of theirs. Some of the pieces on this album would have made better replacements for songs such as 'What Do You Want From Me' 'Take It Back' 'Coming Back To Life' and 'Keep Talking' which felt very Gilmour-centric to me.

After having a Waters driven album (The Wall) and a Gilmour driven album (A Momentary Lapse Of Reason) the band should have let Rick steer the ship for what became The Division Bell. Broken China is proof that Rick was a master at creating atmosphere.

I think The Endless River is quite underrated after reading a few of the comments around here, i'm surprised that so many long term fans dislike it. I suppose a handful of songs could have been taken out and they could focused on tightening it up, but I don't know what else people were expecting. It is a shame that the material was not newer, in the ideal world the four of them would have got back together after Live 8 and made an EP.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

well musically Barrett gets a lot of credit, like Hendrix. I never listen to any of their songs. I'm not part of their context and it's well gone. I listen to it as someone born in the 80s and don't find it appealing. I do have to say that I find myself singing to Barrett songs, specifically Jugband Blues and the Gilmour versions from Meltdown. They have an innocence that just flows out when you sing them while you do something else.

Vera has to be one of the worst Pink Floyd songs. Waters writes poor melodies; very lyric-driven and not unlike what you would hear on musical theatre (which is ironic since he hates Lloyd Webber). While I generally cannot sit through the whole of The Wall album (I only tolerate the movie), the Vera and Bring the boys back home is borderline farcical. Not even with ridiculous visuals (train station soldiers etc) can I stand it (which totally works for Waiting for the worms, for instance). To top it off, Waters has lifted his Vera tune at least once on his solo career. I'd listen to Anisina a million times over Vera. I'd listen to AMLOR on a loop 1,000 times over Vera. Heck, if I had the vinyl, I'd find the spot and scratch it off.

p.s. anyone going to see David Gilmour? I never listen to OAI, let alone his unreleased new album, but to hear him sing ANY Floyd tune is well worth the transatlantic trip for me. Plus I missed Live 8, so this is it (sadly, I never saw Wright live and likely will never see Mason).

p.p.s. I watched top gear today and I realised that James May has always reminded me of Richard Wright. Middle-aged, soft/well-spoken man with longer greying hair and funky dress.