New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by lurkingfear »

Wolfpack:

I'm sure Dave and Nick are anxiously awaiting your precise editing skills before they go live with the album :lol:
Seriously, they are songs by old pop artists. We aren't discussing the magna carta. Lighten up people.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

That clip sounds like a 'Marooned' outtake. It's hard to judge the whole album by a 30-second clip, but I'll cite the words of Dom DeLuise in 'History Of The World Part I': "Nice... Not thrilling, but nice".

The cover though... It's too cheesy and completely unoriginal. Reminds me of Dream Theater's 'Dramatic Turn Of Events' in a very bad way. We recently had a discussion about kitsch on Pink Floyd's covers, well, there we have it.

I just hope the album itself doesn't end up being as tasteless as the cover.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Hudini wrote:That clip sounds like a 'Marooned' outtake.

Not a good sign, IMHO.

The best part about the clip is the opening and closing sound effects. I hope those are part of the song and not just website effects.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well seeing their new website has made me return to this forum!

The audio sample has gone from "Predictable Gilmour" to "I need to hear the whole album over and over several times!"

(Although I am more excited for Roger Waters's "Homeland" but that's probably got it's own thread)

I look forward to the love/hate/embarrassed/emotional/disinterest/compulsion the album will send me through those stages.

See, I was there for '94, but the disadvantage of meeting other people who like Pink Floyd and no access to the Internet, meant that I sided with the Roger "trio of people".
But this time... holy fuck! I'm around at the time of a new Pink Floyd album.

And I've read it's not as based on "The Big Spliff" like anyone would have thought. Well, only a couple of months then!
aisfle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by aisfle »

Album cover: "Life of Pi... nk Floyd" [-D-]
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

So if this isn't based upon The Big Spliff, does anybody think we'll ever hear that too?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

FreeFour wrote:We bitch and we fight
But this thing that we do
It's louder than words
The sum of our parts
The beat of our hearts
It's louder than words
Wolfpack wrote:What about:
"But this WORK that we do".
Hudini wrote:What about:
"But this SHIT that we do"? :lol:
lurkingfear wrote:I'm sure Dave and Nick are anxiously awaiting your precise editing skills before they go live with the album :lol:
They were. but they found me too expensive. :lol:
(And I didn't want to marry with David Gilmour.) :P
lurkingfear wrote:Seriously, they are songs by old pop artists. We aren't discussing the magna carta. Lighten up people.
So, Pink Floyd is just a bunch of "old pop artists"? :shock:
lurkingfear
Axe
Axe

Post by lurkingfear »

Wolfpack wrote:
FreeFour wrote:We bitch and we fight
But this thing that we do
It's louder than words
The sum of our parts
The beat of our hearts
It's louder than words
Wolfpack wrote:What about:
"But this WORK that we do".
Hudini wrote:What about:
"But this SHIT that we do"? :lol:
lurkingfear wrote:I'm sure Dave and Nick are anxiously awaiting your precise editing skills before they go live with the album :lol:
They were. but they found me too expensive. :lol:
(And I didn't want to marry with David Gilmour.) :P
lurkingfear wrote:Seriously, they are songs by old pop artists. We aren't discussing the magna carta. Lighten up people.
So, Pink Floyd is just a bunch of "old pop artists"? :shock:
Yes, they are old "pop" artists. You can hear them call themselves that (pop stars) quite a few times, particularly in the Syd epoch.
A bunch of over-the-hill pop stars, who i happen to enjoy hearing music from. Even without Roger.
tjrrockandrollmaster
Axe
Axe

Post by tjrrockandrollmaster »

Aubrey Powell and some young kid did the cover art! Since Storm Thorgerson is no longer with us, Po now has to honor his former Hipgnosis partner by overseeing the art to Pink Floyd projects.

I'm stoked for this album! I'm buying the CD/Blu-Ray and also am buying the 2-LP as well. I smell #1 on the US charts. Its competition is The Foo Fighters and Queen, both will be annihilated here in the States. Luckily no Britney Spears this time around nor Michael Jackson to stop the Floyd! If The Eagles can have an album hit #1 after no new music for 28 years, chances are Pink Floyd WILL FOLLOW SUIT!

One more thing, Billboard WAS RIGHT ON THE MONEY! Since it's released before Christmas, sales on the Christmas period will be ENORMOUS!
aisfle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by aisfle »

Good, 'cause I only buy #1 records.........................
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

duffOnTheRun wrote:
Hudini wrote:Could you please scan and post the whole article, that is if it isn't too much to ask?

Happy to share but need to make sure I don't cause any copyright issues for the site.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

UsNotThem wrote:So if this isn't based upon The Big Spliff, does anybody think we'll ever hear that too?
it is based on The Big Spliff thats where the recordings for this and Division Bell all originate from
The Endless River has as its starting point the music that came from the 1993 Division Bell sessions, when David, Richard Wright and Nick Mason played freely together at Britannia Row and Astoria studios. This was the first time they had done so since the Wish You Were Here sessions in the seventies. Those sessions resulted in The Division Bell, the band's last studio album.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

OK, I'll admit. The cover is... disappointing. Too late for them to change it. It has this unrealistic, glossy, hazy look to it. Pink Floyd and Storm always had a "this is a photo of something real" look to them. I guess not anymore.
BUT...
I hope that's the worst of it. It has grown on me within the last 5 minutes, and I like the concept just not the realisation. The Division Bell cover also grew on me, though it didn't look as bad at the beginning.

But the music! Oh my, that snipper almost made me cry. Yes, if I can't share that here, then where? As I said before, if the album is Marooned from top to bottom, I'd be in heaven. Though I understand that is not for all. I'm sure that it will have a bit of everything. But those 20 seconds or so sounded like Pink Floyd all right to me.
And to think that I was debating a little rainy day nap...
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

sorry for the double post, but reading a bit on the cover (yes, Hipgnosis was involved) yielded this on google:
http://iampox.tumblr.com/post/675568632 ... in-a-young
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

I think the cover has some interesting interpretations.

The Cambridge Punt
The Infinite sky / the Endless River.
Perhaps an interpretation of Heaven as a respectful nod towards Rick and maybe Syd.

It's certainly a lot more, ahem, photoshop than we've been used to.