Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by aisfle »

I think that's Rick, not Syd... after all Rick loved to sail
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Indeed. I like the idea, it's just too CGI for me. But it's 2014. But it's Pink Floyd!

this fake looks more like a legit cover to me (once the stars layer is removed)

http://pinkfloyd-pinkmoon.blogspot.ca/2 ... river.html

p.s. I just bought a new Pink Floyd record. Having been born in the 80s, I can't describe the feeling. Also, I just ordered it on iTunes to make sure I can listen to it on the day, but I will have to personally look for a deluxe box in town on that day as well, because I do not want to wait another 5-10 days until it ships.

p.p.s. I don't want to be argumentative, but it doesn't quite look like a Cambridge punt to me; it looks more like a clinker
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Would have actually preferred this version...has a slightly more 'Floydian' feel to me...a little bit off-kilter and unusual...the version they picked is just kind of cliché

duffOnTheRun
Axe
Axe

Post by duffOnTheRun »

UsNotThem wrote:So if this isn't based upon The Big Spliff, does anybody think we'll ever hear that too?
On the 2 CD/DVD version, there is 3 additional songs:
  • TBS9
    TBS14
    Nervan
Maybe TBS is an abbreviation for "The Big Spliff"?
So there would have two parts of the original Big Spliff (part 9 & 14)
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

raisemyrent wrote:OK, I'll admit. The cover is... disappointing. Too late for them to change it. It has this unrealistic, glossy, hazy look to it. Pink Floyd and Storm always had a "this is a photo of something real" look to them. I guess not anymore.
BUT...
I hope that's the worst of it. It has grown on me within the last 5 minutes, and I like the concept just not the realisation. The Division Bell cover also grew on me, though it didn't look as bad at the beginning.
Yeah the cover looks cheap, looks like something that was made in Photoshop in a hurry. Storm would have physically constructed it somehow (like how he used real heads on the Division Bell cover, even though computers would have been up to the task of making that cover at the time).

Maybe the rest of the layout will make me like it better. It is kind of nice that the boat is used in the "High Hopes" film right at the point where they sing the "the endless river" line though.
Last edited by Freddie Mercury on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aisfle
Embryo
Embryo

Post by aisfle »

Massed Gadgets wrote:Would have actually preferred this version...has a slightly more 'Floydian' feel to me...a little bit off-kilter and unusual...the version they picked is just kind of cliché

Totally, this one's less cheesy for sure!
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

duffOnTheRun wrote:
UsNotThem wrote:So if this isn't based upon The Big Spliff, does anybody think we'll ever hear that too?
On the 2 CD/DVD version, there is 3 additional songs:
  • TBS9
    TBS14
    Nervan
Maybe TBS is an abbreviation for "The Big Spliff"?
So there would have two parts of the original Big Spliff (part 9 & 14)
There's also Evrika a and b, which are missing from the track list.

Honestly, I think the Big Spliff is a running track of ideas, and this is as good as it gets, in terms of it making it over to an official record. I doubt that there is a finished "ambient" album that remains unreleased and of which only a few seconds have been used for The Endless River.
duffOnTheRun
Axe
Axe

Post by duffOnTheRun »

FreeFour wrote:I think the cover has some interesting interpretations.

The Cambridge Punt
The Infinite sky / the Endless River.
Perhaps an interpretation of Heaven as a respectful nod towards Rick and maybe Syd.

It's certainly a lot more, ahem, photoshop than we've been used to.

For me the cover is a pretty good representation of Great Gig in the Sky too.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

The cover looks like lame clip art bullshit. I really hope it isn't a reflection of the MUZAK on the album.

And priced at $30? That is absurd. I will wait until the mp3 version is available.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

it's a good cover, it just doesn't have that je ne sais quois that most pink floyd covers have. I can sort of imagine a more "Storm" version of it, with brighter clouds and a darker sky, and a more realistic look. Kind of like the fake I posted.
earth and sky tones are prominent in Storm's work, think Wish you Were here (including the shots with the hollow man), momentary lapse, division bell, collection of great dance songs, delicate sound... all those covers have an earthy colour contrasted with a sky blue, and other elements with dull or washed-out colours (incl. grey too). even animals has it (concept by Roger, photo by Hipgnosis). do a quick pink floyd covers google images search and it will stand out right away.
the new cover just doesn't work for me, in the 'one of these things is not like the others' kind of way.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:The cover looks like lame clip art bullshit. I really hope it isn't a reflection of the MUZAK on the album.

And priced at $30? That is absurd. I will wait until the mp3 version is available.
agreed.
I pre-ordered mine for 14.99 CAD from iTunes (and just realised there is a deluxe version for $5 more so I went and changed it)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

The album art isn't the best, but I'm sure it will grow on me. Definitely has Dream Theater and The Mars Volta vibes.

As for the sample, I've always liked the musical elements and jammy sections of TDB, so I'm very happy with the sample.
FreeFour wrote:It's certainly a lot more, ahem, photoshop than we've been used to.
Well they did say the album was supposed to bring Pink Floyd in to the 21st century ;)
The Gunner's Dream wrote:The cover looks like lame clip art bullshit. I really hope it isn't a reflection of the MUZAK on the album.
Do you even know what Clip Art is?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Clip art
n.noun

"Ready-made pieces of printed or computerized graphic art, such as illustrations, borders, and backgrounds, that can be electronically copied and used to decorate a document."

The new album cover fits that description pretty well, Spambo.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

It's basically identical

Seriously though, it is definitely a bit too over processed and photoshopped. That second picture also looks a lot better, would've preferred that. Just a pity Storm wasn't around to help out.

Also, are we really resorting to name calling?
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

The new album cover is just as cartoonish and childlike as those google examples.

No name calling here. I think you will remember that Spambo is a term of endearment for you that dates back at least to 2005. In any case I don't think you're that much of a delicate and dainty flower that you're going to wilt away at the first hint of a breeze.