New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by raisemyrent »

Flathead wrote:Sound like Nick to me. I hope those cool bits are in the album.

Just found out the album has sax.

Ugh.

mm so do dark side, wish you were here, amlor (diff fellow), the division bell, and the final cut (different fellow).

so no concerns from this chap. I wonder if Gilmour plays it, if it's a new musician, or if they called Dick "Ninja" Parry back.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

If it's anything like the sax on Red Sky at Night or Wearing the Inside Out, I'm sure we'll be fine.

:)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

lurkingfear wrote:what a bitchy, whiny, complaining forum. This place has turned into the troll factory dominated by 3 or four disciples of Roger.
I only see one or two bitchy, whiny Gilmour disciples trolling, here. :?
lurkingfear wrote:[Waters] has moved past his bitterness and egotistical grandstanding, and wishes Nick and Dave well in all their endeavors, including a final incarnation of Floyd.
What is your source for this? Wishful thinking?
lurkingfear wrote:I look forward to Endless River, even if Polly was singing all over it and all the music was all performed by set musicians. It will still be Pink Floyd, because the guy who owns the fucking rights to the band said it is.
So, you'll even buy an album by Britney Spears if it carries the name "Pink Floyd"? :lol:

If just the name "Pink Floyd" is enough,
without caring who are actually performing under that name,
I can understand your complaints about complaining. :P
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Wolfpack wrote:
lurkingfear wrote:what a bitchy, whiny, complaining forum. This place has turned into the troll factory dominated by 3 or four disciples of Roger.
I only see one or two bitchy, whiny Gilmour disciples trolling, here. :?
lurkingfear wrote:[Waters] has moved past his bitterness and egotistical grandstanding, and wishes Nick and Dave well in all their endeavors, including a final incarnation of Floyd.
What is your source for this? Wishful thinking?
he regrets suing them in the 80's he likes some of the material from AMLOR and TDB all can be found in interviews from the last few years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2V7K6tLmk
Last edited by azza200 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I have to admit that I am very exited about this release. One thing that post-Waters Floyd always had going for it is the sound. AMLOR and TDB are non-conceptual albums and that feels like an evolutionary regression, but I still love the instrumentals and instrumental passages of songs on those records.

When I heard that there was only one song on the new record, I was hoping that The Endless River would be something unique in the band's catalog - a single-track album, an hour-long song that is instrumental all the way to the end (or close to the end) with a little bit of lyric (after all, David can sing, and that should not be wasted) to provide meaning and context for it all. Think of Echoes, Shine On, or Dogs that run for a full hour / length of an album. Of course, that would be difficult to release on vinyl, but not an issue for other formats.

I was thinking about this yesterday after that sensory overload with the reveal of the new album, and I had a strange Pink Floyd dream last night (my very first). In it, I was holding in my hand the last three Pink Floyd albums (AMLOR, TDB and TER), all three as DualDiscs (those CD on one side, DVD on the other things - very strange, because I never owned one). All three were single-song, almost completely instrumental and circa an hour-long albums, AMLOR with a little bit of lyrics mixed in here and there (New Machine 1 and 2 was there, but different words), and TDB instrumental until the High Hopes finish (with that long, extended and evolved 09:10 version with acoustic guitar ending, from David's live DVD). DVD backside sides of AMLOR and TDB had a hour-long Storm video interpretation of the whole thing, AMLOR with that dude who rows the boat on "Sings of Life" :D

I wondered this morning how such three single-song hour-long albums would have gone down commercially and with the fans, and decided to share. :)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

interview with roger where he says he regrets suing the band

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo2V7K6tLmk[/YouTube]
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

OK everyone. Let's be nice and stop squabbling. It's a shame that a very rare occurrence (a new Pink Floyd album) is making some folk narky. Keep the discussion on-topic. Less of the personal abuse
duffOnTheRun
Axe
Axe

Post by duffOnTheRun »

<snip>

Maybe it's time for NPF administrator forum to show leadership?

edit:
please dont spam links to other webforums here, and do not attempt back seat modding either.

sydthebeat
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

That album cover is worthy of a Deepak Chopra book!

To bad they didnt put a pair of wings and a halo on that guy. Most people will miss the methapore without those elements :(
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Got to admit it's got very tiring on this thread with the endless editing with replies to comments made days previously by a number of different posters, in order to make some kind of retort. At first I was reading these all the way through, but I reached the point where I really couldn't be arsed any more.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I'm still not over the cover! But it's growing on me.

Sax is not by Dick Parry, it's by Gilad Atzmon, and he also contributes clarinet.

p.s. Does anyone know what the best way to get my hands on the deluxe box right on release date is? If I pre-order, it ships on the release date, so I have to wait. I guess hitting the local stores until I found one, and listening to my mp3 copy (pre-ordered), but somehow, it feels wrong to not have the physical disc in my hand to listen to.
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

I'm with Lurking Fear. The attitude in this forum sometimes (dominated by certain individuals) is pretty low. PF in 2014 is whatever Gilmour says it is, it's not up to you or anyone else. If he wants to release an album good or bad, it's up to him. Enjoy it for what it is or else it's your loss.
henno

Post by henno »

siderealxxx wrote:I'm with Lurking Fear. The attitude in this forum sometimes (dominated by certain individuals) is pretty low. PF in 2014 is whatever Gilmour says it is, it's not up to you or anyone else. If he wants to release an album good or bad, it's up to him. Enjoy it for what it is or else it's your loss.
guys, this is the last warning.

turn the conversation back to the album, good or bad, and stop this commenting on the attitude or whatever of other posters.
if youve a problem with a post, report it.

anyone else doesnt heed these warnings they will have some time off.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

UsNotThem wrote:If it's anything like the sax on Red Sky at Night or Wearing the Inside Out, I'm sure we'll be fine.

:)
I'm not a fan of the sax on either of those. I'd also like them to stop using backup singers in the studio (Waters included). Both sounds have just worn out for Floyd, IMHO.
duffOnTheRun
Axe
Axe

Post by duffOnTheRun »

Hadrian wrote:... I was hoping that The Endless River would be something unique in the band's catalog - a single-track album, an hour-long song that is instrumental all the way to the end...
I'm agree with you! I think The Endless River is the best way to conclude the story, given the band's history.

I liked Divsion Bell and AMLOR but the concept and lyrics imagined by David and Co. was not as greath as what Roger has done. Another album like the two previous would have been useless for the legacy of Pink Floyd.

With an almost instrumental album as The Endless River, Pink Floyd offers the best of what it can do: Music. For me, it reminds A Saucerfull of secret, Carefull With That Axe Eugene, and all the instrumentals parts of Echoes, SOYCD, etc.

IMHO, The Endless River might be the most legitimate album of the post-Waters area.