New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Bigmanpigman »

duffOnTheRun wrote:
Hadrian wrote:... I was hoping that The Endless River would be something unique in the band's catalog - a single-track album, an hour-long song that is instrumental all the way to the end...
I'm agree with you! I think The Endless River is the best way to conclude the story, given the band's history.

I liked Divsion Bell and AMLOR but the concept and lyrics imagined by David and Co. was not as greath as what Roger has done. Another album like the two previous would have been useless for the legacy of Pink Floyd.

With an almost instrumental album as The Endless River, Pink Floyd offers the best of what it can do: Music. For me, it reminds A Saucerfull of secret, Carefull With That Axe Eugene, and all the instrumentals parts of Echoes, SOYCD, etc.

IMHO, The Endless River might be the most legitimate album of the post-Waters area.

I couldn't agree with you more. Dave and Nick (and Rick for that matter) were never up to the lyrical input that Roger had, though Roger's potential contribution to this project would probably have resulted in him trying to take the whole thing over. So it would seem to me that they have concentrated on their own strengths. It remains to be seen how that has turned out.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

There are a few one-track (45-75 minutes long) albums out there in a variety of styles (see: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/renkls/an ... ck_albums/), more of them started showing up with the advent of the CD age. The problem with these is in the marketability: impossible to put on radio, same issue with TV . Pink Floyd in 1987 and even 1994 still had to fight for chart acceptance and commercial success. In 2014 they can do whatever they want. It seems to me that this is a far more relaxed release, fully recognizing what works for post-Waters Floyd (the music) and what does not (album concepts, lyrics of songs). I wish there was only one track on this new album, simply called The Endless River, with a few lyrics sung at the end to make it a song. That would have been breaking the new ground with the final studio release.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Flathead wrote:Sound like Nick to me. I hope those cool bits are in the album.

Just found out the album has sax.

Ugh.
The album has sax? Where'd you hear that? I personally quite fancied Wearing the Inside Out.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

The Uncut article mentioned the sax.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Flathead wrote:The Uncut article mentioned the sax.
Ah. Looks like the article is not available anymore, at least on my end.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I just finished reading the Uncut article and I don't think it mentioned sax anywhere. I could be wrong though.

What it surely did mention is that the new album will consist of what is basically four instrumental suites, so I guess that the 18-song track listing is simply there to break the suites into sections. Also, 'Louder Than Words' is apparently an acoustic song with prominent keyboards, so I guess it will be something along the line of WYWH.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to it. So many unbased assumptions that some people present as facts on this forum made me a bit too suspicious about it, but now I've read the article it only assured me the album will at least be good.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Just placed my order on Amazon UK

I went for the CD&BluRay pack and LP (ker-ching..)

It states on their website "get this on the day of release" so that means I can sit back and relax on the 10th November and wait for the delivery....and not pace up and down by the front door all day...at all...
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Hudini wrote: Also, 'Louder Than Words' is apparently an acoustic song with prominent keyboards, so I guess it will be something along the line of WYWH.
That doesn't bode well, IMHO. Lighter songs need strong lyrics.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to it. So many unbased assumptions that some people present as facts on this forum made me a bit too suspicious about it, but now I've read the article it only assured me the album will at least be good.
I'm looking forward to it too, but obviously with reservations. No matter what, release day will be fun.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

Link to BBC Website with a 3 minute interview with Aubrey Powell talking about the new artwork.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29313026
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Despite the awful cover, I seriously expect this album to be better than Division Bell. TDB main weakness was the lame lyrics by Polly and Co. and the poor songcraft displayed by David and Rick; apart from High Hopes there's not a single memorable song in that album. Thankfuly, TER is not going to have any of that. It will have almost no lyrics and almost no songs. What it will have is the TDB sound, which admittedly was quite nice and very Floydian, if perhaps a little too polished and studioly in some parts. So yeah going by the math, the way I see it this is going to be a very dynamite show!

if by dynamite we understand nice sleep inducing instrumental music you can chill out to, that is.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Hudini wrote:In some European countries, 'Nervan' (one of the titles from bonus DVD) is the name of a herbal medicine which relieves symptoms of anxiety, with similar effects to those of Diazepam. I don't know if there's any connection to the song though.
I must correct myself here. Although my post wasn't incorrect per se, the song isn't really called 'Nervan' but in fact 'Nervana'. Now I don't have a clue what that means, but it does sound like a play on words 'nerve' and 'nirvana'.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I just recalled an interview I remember hearing or reading back when they were getting ready for the AMLOR tour I think. Not sure if it was Nick or Dave, but they said they hope to be making Pink Floyd music in their 70's. Well, Nick is 70 and Dave is 68, so, they just about did it. :D
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Another strength of the post-Waters Floyd is in the live shows, something that unfortunately will not follow The Endless River album release (I fully understand why, it would be awkward to do so without Rick). Old pieces continued to evolve on both of those 1987-89 and 1994 tours, and the same is true for some old and new pieces on David's subsequent live tours (I already mentioned the extended version of High Hopes from David's concert DVD, which is superb).

They recorded two live albums during the two post-Waters tours, and there was a lot of free potential there to revisit things and do them differently. I like the fact that they filmed the entire Dark Side being played live (something Nick believes should've been done in the first place when the album originally came out), and that extended (9+ minutes long) version of Money on Pulse is fantastic (along the same lines, the updated One of These Days on both tours is far superior to the 1971 album version, imo; I just wish there was no audience noise on those two live albums, Pompeii style :D).

There are some other things that I wish they did on those live albums. There are 3 old pieces of chopped-up music that I would love to hear as single, complete (and extended) independent numbers: Breathe, Shine On and Another Brick in the Wall.

Breathe is chopped up into Breathe, Any Color You Like [aka Breathe (second reprise)], and Breathe (reprise) on the Dark Side, but it would be great to hear the number being played as a single piece, and in that running order (with a lot of extra improvisation for the Any Color You Like segment, like in 1972).

The same goes for Shine On. I think that Shine On is the best piece of music they ever created, and it has the best PF sound ever. What always bothered me is the fact that it was split into two halves on the actual record. WYWH would have been a far better album if the A-side was simply Shine On 1-9, and B-side the other three songs. For this reason only, I think that the Dark Side is the better album overall. I know that I am not the only one thinking this because there are a few amateur attempts out there (on YouTube and alike) to put together Shine On studio recording back into a single piece, with varying degrees of success. It was originally played live as a single piece (as heard on one of the Immersion disks, and a few bootlegs), so one can get a good sense of how the two halves were joined, but post-Waters Floyd could've played the whole thing live as one piece and release it as such. Unfortunately all live versions of Shine On are, in terms of the actual sound, worse than the studio version (that cathedral sound would be very difficult to reproduce live), a rare example for Floyd. In contrast, Echoes on David's Live in Gdańsk (played with Rick) is far better than the studio album version, again if one could get rid of the audience.

Finally, I would love to hear Another Brick in the Wall (1-3) as a single piece of music, with a lot of solo improvisation in there. Post-Waters Floyd could've done that too, perhaps even without being sued again. :D

They could've pursued things like that on The Delicate Sound of Thunder and Pulse, to make them more interesting, and far more relevant.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Hadrian wrote:Finally, I would love to hear Another Brick in the Wall (1-3) as a single piece of music, with a lot of solo improvisation in there. Post-Waters Floyd could've done that too, perhaps even without being sued again. :D
Well, if they pulled out 'Hey You' without getting sued, they could have played the full ABITW trilogy just as easy. \:D/

BTW, I've never been much of a fan of 'Fat Old Sun' (the studio version is too bland and the 1970s live versions were too long and boring), but it was absolutely one of the highlights of 'Live In Gdansk'. I wish they did more refreshed versions of old and half-forgotten songs like that.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

it does mention the name of the sax/clarinet player, as I said before. If it's still available, have another look.

I personally quite like what do you want from me, keep talking, and wearing the inside out as songs.

I've never cared for lyrics that much, and never missed Waters in Floyd (could do without 'triumphant procession to Rome' thank you). But no controversy intended.

I saw the comment on Breathe and Any Colour you Like. I guess they have the same chord sequence (diff key it seems). the I-IV. Doesn't Time do the same? It's a motif throughout the Dark Side, but I never thought of them as the same song.

p.s. I'm REALLY warming up to the cover now.

p.p.s. Amazon.ca does not offer get it when it's out shipping :(, but a local record store has promised me a copy