New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by Hadrian »

Hudini wrote:I wish they did more refreshed versions of old and half-forgotten songs like that
Indeed. I was thinking about that when I was listening to the long extended live versions of Fat Old Sun and Cymbaline recently, how the post-Waters Floyd would have done those live (making the former less boring along the way, and getting rid of that nightmare segment nonsense on the latter). Another one is Embryo, an updated live 10+ minute version for The Delicate Sound of Thunder or Pulse. Many folks would have bought the record just to have that.

Nick wrote in the concluding pages of the Inside Out that there were things still left undone, such as an unplugged take on a few old numbers. David (...sort of...) did that on his own, on his live DVDs: brave minimalistic acoustic version of Shine On recorded for in Concert (sadly, again split into two halves) and an underdeveloped rehearsal-quality chunk of acoustic Echoes as a bonus feature on Remember That Night. Acoustic unplugged versions of full length Shine On (for A-side) and Echoes (for B-side) would have been enough for a stand-alone LP. That would have been a live Pink Floyd record coming from the left field, wouldn't it? :D

By the way somebody recorded a complete Breathe as a studio cover version, and placed it on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_DUqfQEwv4). It goes (in Dark Side record terms) as "Breathe / Any Color You Like [aka Breathe (second reprise)] / Breathe (reprise)". It is a very thin version, but illustrative of what I am talking about.

I think that there is a released studio cover version of complete Another Brick in the Wall (1-3) out there, by some metal band, it goes for 10 minutes or so. Again, not my cup of tea, but illustrative of the possibility.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

raisemyrent wrote: I saw the comment on Breathe and Any Colour you Like...but I never thought of them as the same song.
If you buy the Dark Side guitar tablature book "Any Colour You Like" is actually called "Breathe (Second Reprise)" right there in print.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

raisemyrent wrote:it does mention the name of the sax/clarinet player, as I said before. If it's still available, have another look.
You're right. A guy named Gilad Atzmon apparently recorded "clarinet and sax contributions".

My first thought was that if they really wanted to add sax I'd prefer it done by Dick Parry. After all, he was some sort of an additional member of the band for years. But then I looked up this Atzmon guy on YouTube and from what I saw I can tell that he was most probably chosen for his style over his technicality. He has a very distinct ethnic style, so I guess they were going for some middle-eastern soundscapes, which might turn out very interesting if done right.

Either way, the deeper we dig in 'The Endless River' seems to look more promising. I just hope it delivers.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Hudini wrote:
raisemyrent wrote:it does mention the name of the sax/clarinet player, as I said before. If it's still available, have another look.
You're right. A guy named Gilad Atzmon apparently recorded "clarinet and sax contributions".

My first thought was that if they really wanted to add sax I'd prefer it done by Dick Parry. After all, he was some sort of an additional member of the band for years. But then I looked up this Atzmon guy on YouTube and from what I saw I can tell that he was most probably chosen for his style over his technicality. He has a very distinct ethnic style, so I guess they were going for some middle-eastern soundscapes, which might turn out very interesting if done right.

Either way, the deeper we dig in 'The Endless River' seems to look more promising. I just hope it delivers.

<--Mod Snip: Deleted this link to copyrighted material which is being hosted on another forum -->
Snifferdog
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I had no time to view it properly when I first saw it, so I downloaded it to take a better look later. Now that it's not online anymore, it appears to have been a better idea than I initially thought. PM me your e-mail and I'll send it to you if you like. ;)
henno

Post by henno »

TheFloydian1 wrote:Would you or anyone know how to access the Uncut pdf file, now? It worked a few days ago, but now I get the message: PLEASE DO NOT DIRECT LINK TO OUR PDF DOCUMENTS
The file you are looking for is linked at
http://www.pinkfloydz.com/endlessriver.htm

Thanks ahead!
it still working fine for me....

try download and view from your own pdf viewer
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Track times have been posted on SH forums. Deluxe edition extra track times are missing, but they are most likely in the same vein. It seems that we'll be getting a few Round and Around type instrumentals here.

Side 1
01 Pt. 1: Things Left Unsaid (4:28)
02 Pt. 2: It’s What We Do (6:18)
03 Pt. 3: Ebb And Flow (1:52)

Side 2
04 Pt. 1: Sum (4:49)
05 Pt. 2: Skins (2:38)
06 Pt. 3: Unsung (1:07)
07 Pt. 4: Anisina (3:21)

Side 3
08 Pt. 1: The Lost Art Of Conversation (1:43)
09 Pt. 2: On Noodle Street (1:42)
10 Pt. 3: Night Light (1:42)
11 Pt. 4: Allons-y (1) (1:56)
12 Pt. 5: Autumn ’68 (1:36)
13 Pt. 6: Allons-y (2) (1:35)
14 Pt. 7: Talkin’ Hawkin’ (3:26)

Side 4
15 Pt. 1: Calling (3:38)
16 Pt. 2: Eyes To Pearls (1:51)
17 Pt. 3: Surfacing (2:48)
18 Pt. 4: Louder Than Words (6:35)
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

Honestly, the album is a little shorter than I thought it would be.

What's the primary source for the times?
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Look for The Endless River discussion on Steve Hoffman music forum for the initial track time post.

If the times are correct, it clocks at 53:05, which is fine. A Momentary Lapse of Reason was 51:14. This is also longer than the classic albums (Dark Side is 42:59, Wish You Were Here is 44:28). My guess is that we are in fact looking at four continuous pieces of music here (Side 1-4), despite so many track titles.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

I just found this bizarre slice of Pink Floyd-related news that appeared on Russian TV (that is Russian, isn't it?), and posted on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A1vEl_mX98

There is our first view of The Endless River back cover (an empty boat), and if you freeze frame we have track times as well. The times are very similar, but not identical, to the ones posted above.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

It's Ukrainian, and it's nothing strange that the timings on an LP slightly differ from the ones on a CD.
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Post by bonjanee »

WE'RE GETTING A NEW PINK FLOYD ALBUM !!!!!!

WAAAAAHOOOO <ii> <ii> \:D/ :-({|= <.8.>
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

I initially felt disappointed that the album wouldn't rival the length of The Division Bell, but I think it's important to remember that there's essentially only four pieces of music anyway. Four tracks that clock in at 13 minutes each on average is perfectly reasonable.

Also, don't forget the extra 'non-album' material. That's another 39 minutes worth of material.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

There's another audio sample on the site. It's predominately Rick Wright.

What's really exciting is that it's based on an old demo recorded in 1993. I have a bootleg of it and always found it nice. I'm so glad to see it was worked on for this album.
Kappa
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Kappa »

bboynexus wrote: What's really exciting is that it's based on an old demo recorded in 1993. I have a bootleg of it and always found it nice. I'm so glad to see it was worked on for this album.
I am 100% sure that I have listen to it again. I think it was on TDB outakes - "secret rarities" and that it was on youtube some weeks before (now it's probably down due to copyrights). I find it quite nice.

First post to the forum <ii> sorry for my bad English, greetings from Greece.