New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by bboynexus »

Kappa wrote:
I am 100% sure that I have listen to it again. I think it was on TDB outakes - "secret rarities" and that it was on youtube some weeks before (now it's probably down due to copyrights). I find it quite nice.
That is exactly where it comes from, yes. :)

I'm incredible annoyed by a lot of the negative response the sample is currently receiving. I can only imagine what the reaction would be to the opening piano passages of 'The Great Gig in the Sky' if it were released today. I feel like people would have a similar reaction to hearing the first 30 seconds of that piece as they are with this piece. It all betrays a very strong and distorted bias.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Guys, this is very, very sad.

The new album sample is being absolutely trashed all across the internet. Serious damage is being done to the Pink Floyd legacy.

I have never seen anyone act this way towards Pink Floyd.

The sample they posted today does not sound like Pink Floyd. At all. It sounds like infomercial music. The comments on the Pink Floyd Facebook page are just shredding the new song sample.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

Flathead wrote:The sample they posted today does not sound like Pink Floyd. At all. It sounds like infomercial music.
Nope, don't agree.
Flathead wrote:The comments on the Pink Floyd Facebook page are just shredding the new song sample.
Really? Because it seems distinctly mixed to me.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Based on how Facebook works, you have to "Like" the page to receive that page's updates in your newsfeed. They people who liked it are all fans. To have that kind of response....I'v e never seen it. People are just trashing the sample, calling it "elevator music" and "boring".

I would have to agree. The arrangement is...terrible. The strings are new-age cheese. There's no edge, no fire, no "rock" about it. It sounds very dated.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

Flathead wrote:Based on how Facebook works, you have to "Like" the page to receive that page's updates in your newsfeed. They people who liked it are all fans. To have that kind of response....I'v e never seen it. People are just trashing the sample, calling it "elevator music" and "boring".

I would have to agree. The arrangement is...terrible. The strings are new-age cheese. There's no edge, no fire, no "rock" about it. It sounds very dated.
Yet, as I said, I wonder if you would say the same about the first 30 seconds of 'The Great Gig in the Sky' or 'Us and Them'.

What do you even mean by 'edge', 'fire' and 'rock'? Quit spouting rhetoric.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

bboynexus wrote: Yet, as I said, I wonder if you would say the same about the first 30 seconds of 'The Great Gig in the Sky' or 'Us and Them'.
That analogy doesn't work. Great Gig is dark and moody. The production is completely different...you have eerie steel guitar acting as strings, deep, harmonic chords, and all kind of great sounds. This sample clip is light and fluffy, with no depth at all. The strings sound like a factory demo from a keyboard workstation.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

The sample appears to have been taken from 'Anisina' which means it's the last part of a 13 minute instrumental suite. I think it's also worth pointing out that a hint of 'Comfortably Numb' can be heard towards the end.
Flathead wrote:
bboynexus wrote: Yet, as I said, I wonder if you would say the same about the first 30 seconds of 'The Great Gig in the Sky' or 'Us and Them'.
That analogy doesn't work. Great Gig is dark and moody. The production is completely different...you have eerie steel guitar acting as strings, deep, harmonic chords, and all kind of great sounds. This sample clip is light and fluffy, with no depth at all. The strings sound like a factory demo from a keyboard workstation.
You cannot possibly judge 'depth' based on a 30 second sample. Just as you couldn't possibly say that 'Great Gig' has any depth in it's first 30 seconds. You are also conveying a strong bias towards 'dark and moody' music rather than 'light and fluffy' which is entirely subjective.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

bboynexus wrote: You cannot possibly judge 'depth' based on a 30 second sample. Just as you couldn't possibly say that 'Great Gig' has any depth in it's first 30 seconds. You are also conveying a strong bias towards 'dark and moody' music rather than 'light and fluffy' which is entirely subjective.
Anyone who has two cochlea's can judge sound within 30 seconds.

When you hear the doorbell ring, do you need it to go on for three minutes before you recognize someone has rung your door?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I don't dislike the sample piece, but they could have at least published one full song. Even one of those one-minute-something ones would have been nice to hear.
bboynexus
Blade
Blade

Post by bboynexus »

Flathead wrote:
bboynexus wrote: You cannot possibly judge 'depth' based on a 30 second sample. Just as you couldn't possibly say that 'Great Gig' has any depth in it's first 30 seconds. You are also conveying a strong bias towards 'dark and moody' music rather than 'light and fluffy' which is entirely subjective.
Anyone who has two cochlea's can judge sound within 30 seconds.

When you hear the doorbell ring, do you need it to go on for three minutes before you recognize someone has rung your door?
Are you actually comparing a musical composition to a doorbell in this debate?

Oh dear. I think we have reached an impasse.

This is like judging 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' based on its first 30 seconds. I can't fathom how you can possibly do that.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

bboynexus wrote:
Oh dear...

I'm actually shocked that you think there's any relevance between Great Gig in the Sky and the piece they just posted. It sounds like two different bands.

Just shaking my head at the comments on Twitter and FB. I've never seen this. Wow.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

bboynexus wrote: This is like judging 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond' based on its first 30 seconds. I can't fathom how you can possibly do that.

When you hear 30 seconds of Nicki Minaj can you discern that it's bad music?
pedrodf9
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pedrodf9 »

thats the demo of this song of 93, and sounds very good https://www.youtube.com/watch?f&v=vvhgOiUwzYU
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

That is not good. It sounds exactly like what it was - a throwaway track that failed to make an album.
pedrodf9
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pedrodf9 »

its better than what i expected, anyway, its not so boring like on an island and meddle